Looking for SEDT source code - VMS

This is a discussion on Looking for SEDT source code - VMS ; Back on 22nd November 2005 Lee Roth posted the following article in the comp.unix.solaris newsgroup: > Briefly: I have permission from the original author of SEDT (Anker > Berg-Sonne) to make my modified-for-Solaris binary + source files > available. > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. Looking for SEDT source code

    Back on 22nd November 2005 Lee Roth posted the following article in the
    comp.unix.solaris newsgroup:

    > Briefly: I have permission from the original author of SEDT (Anker
    > Berg-Sonne) to make my modified-for-Solaris binary + source files
    > available.
    >
    > If you've never used the DEC EDT editor I certainly don't suggest you
    > begin to do so now, but if you are an old-time DEC user like me that
    > has the EDT editor burned deep into your brain's ROM, you may want to
    > give this powerful EDT-on-steroids editor a look.
    >
    > I had to do a couple of minor tweaks to get the sources to compile, but
    > I have created a binary that runs on Solaris 7, 8 and 9 (Sparc) and a
    > separate binary that (at least) Solaris 7 on Intel platforms. I have
    > not yet tested the binary on Solaris 10 (Sparc).
    >
    > Additional details at http://easy48.com/sedt/
    >
    > Check out the above link... if interested, please respond to this
    > posting.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Lee Roth

    A few days ago I posted an article to the comp.unix.solaris newsgroup asking
    if Lee Roth had ever made the modified-for-Solaris binary + source files
    available. I got three replies, each trying to be funny about painting the
    numlock key gold.

    In Alan Roth's article he mentioned the http://easy48.com/sedt/ web page and
    it still exists. Some days ago I sent an e-mail to Lee at the address he
    gives on that page but so far there has been no reply.

    As someone who started out on VMS back in 1983 and got used to programming
    DCL and using EDT, I have never got used to vi on Solaris after my company
    moved to Sun machines around 1996.

    Do any of you people who read this newsgroup know:

    1) is the SEDT source available somewhere on the Internet for download
    (Google search didn't turn up anything)?

    or

    2) is there SEDT Solaris binary available (I know this is a VMS newsgroup!)?

    Thanks

    Paul McIlfatrick

  2. Re: Looking for SEDT source code

    In article , "Paul McIlfatrick" writes:

    >Back on 22nd November 2005 Lee Roth posted the following article in the
    >comp.unix.solaris newsgroup:
    >
    >> Briefly: I have permission from the original author of SEDT (Anker
    >> Berg-Sonne) to make my modified-for-Solaris binary + source files
    >> available.
    >>
    >> If you've never used the DEC EDT editor I certainly don't suggest you
    >> begin to do so now, but if you are an old-time DEC user like me that
    >> has the EDT editor burned deep into your brain's ROM, you may want to
    >> give this powerful EDT-on-steroids editor a look.
    >>
    >> I had to do a couple of minor tweaks to get the sources to compile, but
    >> I have created a binary that runs on Solaris 7, 8 and 9 (Sparc) and a
    >> separate binary that (at least) Solaris 7 on Intel platforms. I have
    >> not yet tested the binary on Solaris 10 (Sparc).
    >>
    >> Additional details at http://easy48.com/sedt/
    >>
    >> Check out the above link... if interested, please respond to this
    >> posting.

    I believe SEDT appeared on DECUS library distributions. I do not know
    though how easy/difficult it would be to add the necessary built tweaks
    to get it to compile for your particular unix environment.

    I've just taken to accepting vi and know enough to get around. If I do
    need something more elaborate, I have emacs in EDT mode to fall back on.

    If you do happen to get a working version of SEDT for OS X, let me know.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  3. Re: Looking for SEDT source code

    Paul McIlfatrick wrote:

    > 1) is the SEDT source available somewhere on the Internet for download
    > (Google search didn't turn up anything)?

    I couldn't find it either. It was apparently written by "Anker
    Berg-Sonne". That doesn't seem like it's going to be a very common
    name, so I tried finding him (sorry if Anker is a her)
    instead. Which led to this:

    http://forums.flyesl.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=292

    and then this:

    http://www.zoominfo.com/people/Berg-...530520001.aspx

    which looks like the right guy, as he was listed as having been at
    Digital. They list him as being employed here:

    http://www.ltcq.com/

    but a bit more searching indicated he's now at eternalventures.com which
    sounds vaguely fatal, hopefully not the result of participation
    in that soaring club!

    http://center.spoke.com/info/p87hB25/AnkerBerg-Sonne

    The eternalventures web site has nothing, but whois at least gave
    some contact info:

    http://www.networksolutions.com/whoi...alventures.com

    It doesn't list Anker though. Email the contact, maybe he can tell
    you where Anker is.

    Ironically, I was within about 200 feet of the that San Francisco
    address last week.

    Yahoo "people search" shows that there's also an Anker Berg-Sonne who's
    59 and lives (or lived) in Stow, MA and has an unlisted phone number.
    So I put this into google: "anker berg-sonne" STOW

    and found this:

    http://www.decedout.org/events.htm

    which lists a street address for him. (That's a DEC reunion page.)
    There's a directory on the decedout site, and it looks like it has
    a current link to Anker, but I'm not a member and so could not be sure.

    That's enough sleuthing for me for one day. Good thing his name wasn't
    John Smith!

    David Mathog

  4. Re: Looking for SEDT source code

    In article , David Mathog writes:

    >Paul McIlfatrick wrote:
    >
    >> 1) is the SEDT source available somewhere on the Internet for download
    >> (Google search didn't turn up anything)?

    >I couldn't find it either. It was apparently written by "Anker
    >Berg-Sonne". That doesn't seem like it's going to be a very common
    >name, so I tried finding him (sorry if Anker is a her)
    >instead. Which led to this:
    >
    >http://forums.flyesl.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=292
    >
    >and then this:
    >
    >http://www.zoominfo.com/people/Berg-...530520001.aspx
    >
    >which looks like the right guy, as he was listed as having been at
    >Digital. They list him as being employed here:
    >
    >http://www.ltcq.com/
    >
    >but a bit more searching indicated he's now at eternalventures.com which
    >sounds vaguely fatal, hopefully not the result of participation
    >in that soaring club!
    >
    >http://center.spoke.com/info/p87hB25/AnkerBerg-Sonne
    >
    >The eternalventures web site has nothing, but whois at least gave
    >some contact info:
    >
    >http://www.networksolutions.com/whoi...alventures.com
    >
    >It doesn't list Anker though. Email the contact, maybe he can tell
    >you where Anker is.
    >
    >Ironically, I was within about 200 feet of the that San Francisco
    >address last week.
    >
    >Yahoo "people search" shows that there's also an Anker Berg-Sonne who's
    >59 and lives (or lived) in Stow, MA and has an unlisted phone number.
    >So I put this into google: "anker berg-sonne" STOW
    >
    >and found this:
    >
    >http://www.decedout.org/events.htm
    >
    >which lists a street address for him. (That's a DEC reunion page.)
    >There's a directory on the decedout site, and it looks like it has
    >a current link to Anker, but I'm not a member and so could not be sure.
    >
    >That's enough sleuthing for me for one day. Good thing his name wasn't
    >John Smith!
    >
    >David Mathog

    Ah! The wealth of info one can conjure up from the internet!

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  5. Re: Looking for SEDT source code

    Hmmmmmmmmmmm...long ago in a galaxy far, far away (must have been, oh, 1984
    or so), I actually ported SEDT to RSX-11M-PLUS on PDP-11's using a
    public-domain C, if I remember correctly. I can look around and see if I
    still have the source code someplace. If need be, can somebody out there
    read a BRU magtape?

    At 03:36 PM 8/17/2007, Paul McIlfatrick wrote:
    >Back on 22nd November 2005 Lee Roth posted the following article in the
    >comp.unix.solaris newsgroup:
    >
    > > Briefly: I have permission from the original author of SEDT (Anker
    > > Berg-Sonne) to make my modified-for-Solaris binary + source files
    > > available.
    > >
    > > If you've never used the DEC EDT editor I certainly don't suggest you
    > > begin to do so now, but if you are an old-time DEC user like me that
    > > has the EDT editor burned deep into your brain's ROM, you may want to
    > > give this powerful EDT-on-steroids editor a look.
    > >
    > > I had to do a couple of minor tweaks to get the sources to compile, but
    > > I have created a binary that runs on Solaris 7, 8 and 9 (Sparc) and a
    > > separate binary that (at least) Solaris 7 on Intel platforms. I have
    > > not yet tested the binary on Solaris 10 (Sparc).
    > >
    > > Additional details at http://easy48.com/sedt/
    > >
    > > Check out the above link... if interested, please respond to this
    > > posting.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Lee Roth

    >A few days ago I posted an article to the comp.unix.solaris newsgroup asking
    >if Lee Roth had ever made the modified-for-Solaris binary + source files
    >available. I got three replies, each trying to be funny about painting the
    >numlock key gold.
    >
    >In Alan Roth's article he mentioned the http://easy48.com/sedt/ web page and
    >it still exists. Some days ago I sent an e-mail to Lee at the address he
    >gives on that page but so far there has been no reply.
    >

    >As someone who started out on VMS back in 1983 and got used to programming
    >DCL and using EDT, I have never got used to vi on Solaris after my company
    >moved to Sun machines around 1996.
    >

    >Do any of you people who read this newsgroup know:
    >
    >1) is the SEDT source available somewhere on the Internet for download
    >(Google search didn't turn up anything)?
    >
    >or
    >
    >2) is there SEDT Solaris binary available (I know this is a VMS newsgroup!)?
    >

    >Thanks
    >

    >Paul McIlfatrick

    ------
    | Dan O'Reilly | "There are 10 types of people in this |
    | Principal Engineer | world: those who understand binary |
    | Process Software | and those who don't." |
    | http://www.process.com | |

  6. Re: Looking for SEDT source code

    In article <1Koxi.310$0y3.172@newsfe12.lga>, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:

    > I believe SEDT appeared on DECUS library distributions. I do not know
    > though how easy/difficult it would be to add the necessary built tweaks
    > to get it to compile for your particular unix environment.

    Just had a quick look on DECUServe, there's a library submission and
    various stuff on the SIG tapes. This looks most relevant, it includes
    C sources:

    ftp://ftp.encompasserve.org/decus/vm...t00a/net/sedt/

    (see sedt_main.txt and sedsrc.zip)

  7. Re: Looking for SEDT source code

    I have a version of microemacs with built-in EDT emulation at
    http://williambader.com/pat/emacs.tar.bz2
    It has features similar to SEDT: EDT keypad, multiple buffers, insert
    files in the current buffer (including file name completion), large
    files (limited only by virtual memory, can edit binary files), spawn
    commands (stdin from the keyboard or from a buffer, stdout to the
    screen or captured in a buffer), keyboard macros, repeat prefixes on
    commands, cmode with auto-indenting, paren matching, user-definable
    macros, etc. I have built it under Solaris, Linux, FreeBSD, SCO, and
    OpenVMS.
    William Bader
    http://williambader.com/

  8. Re: Looking for SEDT source code

    David Mathog wrote:
    > Paul McIlfatrick wrote:
    >
    >> 1) is the SEDT source available somewhere on the Internet for download
    >> (Google search didn't turn up anything)?

    > I couldn't find it either. It was apparently written by "Anker
    > Berg-Sonne". That doesn't seem like it's going to be a very common
    > name, so I tried finding him (sorry if Anker is a her)
    > instead. Which led to this:
    >
    > http://forums.flyesl.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=292
    >
    > and then this:
    >
    > http://www.zoominfo.com/people/Berg-...530520001.aspx
    >
    > which looks like the right guy, as he was listed as having been at
    > Digital. They list him as being employed here:
    >
    > http://www.ltcq.com/
    >
    > but a bit more searching indicated he's now at eternalventures.com which
    > sounds vaguely fatal, hopefully not the result of participation
    > in that soaring club!
    >
    > http://center.spoke.com/info/p87hB25/AnkerBerg-Sonne
    >
    > The eternalventures web site has nothing, but whois at least gave
    > some contact info:
    >
    > http://www.networksolutions.com/whoi...alventures.com
    >

    > It doesn't list Anker though. Email the contact, maybe he can tell
    > you where Anker is.
    >
    > Ironically, I was within about 200 feet of the that San Francisco
    > address last week.
    >
    > Yahoo "people search" shows that there's also an Anker Berg-Sonne who's
    > 59 and lives (or lived) in Stow, MA and has an unlisted phone number.
    > So I put this into google: "anker berg-sonne" STOW
    >
    > and found this:
    >
    > http://www.decedout.org/events.htm
    >
    > which lists a street address for him. (That's a DEC reunion page.)
    > There's a directory on the decedout site, and it looks like it has
    > a current link to Anker, but I'm not a member and so could not be sure.
    >
    > That's enough sleuthing for me for one day. Good thing his name wasn't
    > John Smith!
    >
    > David Mathog

    SEDT has been on the sigtapes several times, with sources. However I do not know
    how much work it takes to get those working on newer machines.

    Incidentally I did find more recently a version of Pete Siemsen's old tecoc which
    had been recompiled for windows. It works very well, but alas lacks the VT macro
    so vtedit and the teco EDT emulator cannot run in it far as I know.

    Glenn Everhart
    (The EDT emulator in Teco VTEDIT is really a thing of beauty btw.)

  9. Re: Looking for SEDT source code

    Paul McIlfatrick wrote:

    > Back on 22nd November 2005 Lee Roth posted the following article in
    > the comp.unix.solaris newsgroup:
    >
    > > Briefly: I have permission from the original author of SEDT (Anker
    > > Berg-Sonne) to make my modified-for-Solaris binary + source files
    > > available.
    > >
    > > If you've never used the DEC EDT editor I certainly don't suggest
    > > you begin to do so now, but if you are an old-time DEC user like me
    > > that has the EDT editor burned deep into your brain's ROM, you may
    > > want to give this powerful EDT-on-steroids editor a look.
    > >
    > > I had to do a couple of minor tweaks to get the sources to compile,
    > > but I have created a binary that runs on Solaris 7, 8 and 9 (Sparc)
    > > and a separate binary that (at least) Solaris 7 on Intel platforms.
    > > I have not yet tested the binary on Solaris 10 (Sparc).
    > >
    > > Additional details at http://easy48.com/sedt/
    > >
    > > Check out the above link... if interested, please respond to this
    > > posting.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Lee Roth

    > A few days ago I posted an article to the comp.unix.solaris newsgroup
    > asking if Lee Roth had ever made the modified-for-Solaris binary +
    > source files available. I got three replies, each trying to be funny
    > about painting the numlock key gold.
    >
    > In Alan Roth's article he mentioned the http://easy48.com/sedt/ web
    > page and it still exists. Some days ago I sent an e-mail to Lee at
    > the address he gives on that page but so far there has been no reply.
    >

    > As someone who started out on VMS back in 1983 and got used to
    > programming DCL and using EDT, I have never got used to vi on Solaris
    > after my company moved to Sun machines around 1996.
    >

    > Do any of you people who read this newsgroup know:
    >
    > 1) is the SEDT source available somewhere on the Internet for
    > download (Google search didn't turn up anything)?
    >
    > or
    >
    > 2) is there SEDT Solaris binary available (I know this is a VMS
    > newsgroup!)?
    >

    > Thanks
    >

    > Paul McIlfatrick

    Thanks for the trigger. I tried some years ago to build SEDT on Solaris
    (I use it everywhere else) but had trouble with the 'make' process and
    had too many more interesting things to do on VMS

    There are a couple of bugs in the VMS version that I've meant to fix
    for years, if I had the time, the source and the build procedure. The
    simplest is to increase the storage for filenames from 80 to 255 (well
    it's enough for ODS-2). Thanks to Brian's link to the DECUS library, I
    might just try again.

    --
    Cheers - Dave

  10. Re: Looking for SEDT source code

    On 08/17/07 18:21, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > In article , David Mathog writes:

    [snip]

    >> That's enough sleuthing for me for one day. Good thing his name wasn't
    >> John Smith!
    >>
    >> David Mathog

    > Ah! The wealth of info one can conjure up from the internet!

    For people with distinctive names.

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA

  11. Re: Looking for SEDT source code

    In article , Ron Johnson writes:

    >On 08/17/07 18:21, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >> In article , David Mathog writes:

    >[snip]
    >>>
    >>> That's enough sleuthing for me for one day. Good thing his name wasn't
    >>> John Smith!
    >>>
    >>> David Mathog

    >> Ah! The wealth of info one can conjure up from the internet!

    >For people with distinctive names.

    I guess that leave me out, huh?

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  12. RE: Looking for SEDT source code

    > Back on 22nd November 2005 Lee Roth posted the following article in
    > the comp.unix.solaris newsgroup:
    >
    > > Briefly: I have permission from the original author of SEDT (Anker
    > > Berg-Sonne) to make my modified-for-Solaris binary + source files
    > > available.
    > >
    > > If you've never used the DEC EDT editor I certainly don't suggest
    > > you begin to do so now, but if you are an old-time DEC user like me
    > > that has the EDT editor burned deep into your brain's ROM, you may
    > > want to give this powerful EDT-on-steroids editor a look.
    > >
    > > I had to do a couple of minor tweaks to get the sources to compile,
    > > but I have created a binary that runs on Solaris 7, 8 and 9 (Sparc)
    > > and a separate binary that (at least) Solaris 7 on Intel platforms.
    > > I have not yet tested the binary on Solaris 10 (Sparc).
    > >
    > > Additional details at http://easy48.com/sedt/
    > >
    > > Check out the above link... if interested, please respond to this
    > > posting.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Lee Roth

    > A few days ago I posted an article to the comp.unix.solaris newsgroup
    > asking if Lee Roth had ever made the modified-for-Solaris binary +
    > source files available. I got three replies, each trying to be funny
    > about painting the numlock key gold.
    >
    > In Alan Roth's article he mentioned the http://easy48.com/sedt/ web
    > page and it still exists. Some days ago I sent an e-mail to Lee at
    > the address he gives on that page but so far there has been no reply.
    >

    > As someone who started out on VMS back in 1983 and got used to
    > programming DCL and using EDT, I have never got used to vi on Solaris
    > after my company moved to Sun machines around 1996.
    >

    > Do any of you people who read this newsgroup know:
    >
    > 1) is the SEDT source available somewhere on the Internet for
    > download (Google search didn't turn up anything)?
    >
    > or
    >
    > 2) is there SEDT Solaris binary available (I know this is a VMS
    > newsgroup!)?
    >

    > Thanks
    >

    > Paul McIlfatrick

    Thanks for the trigger. I tried some years ago to build SEDT on Solaris
    (I use it everywhere else) but had trouble with the 'make' process and
    had too many more interesting things to do on VMS

    There are a couple of bugs in the VMS version that I've meant to fix
    for years, if I had the time, the source and the build procedure. The
    simplest is to increase the storage for filenames from 80 to 255 (well
    it's enough for ODS-2). Thanks to Brian's link to the DECUS library, I
    might just try again.

    --
    Cheers - Dave

    I'd love to use SEDT on Windows!
    Can Someone please tell me where I can down load a complied version ??
    Hank

  13. RE: Looking for SEDT source code

    In article <000301c7e1b2$38556fa0$7ef1a8c0@hpxp>, "Hank Vander Waal" writes:
    {...snip...}
    >Thanks for the trigger. I tried some years ago to build SEDT on Solaris
    >(I use it everywhere else) but had trouble with the 'make' process and
    >had too many more interesting things to do on VMS
    >
    >There are a couple of bugs in the VMS version that I've meant to fix
    >for years, if I had the time, the source and the build procedure. The
    >simplest is to increase the storage for filenames from 80 to 255 (well
    >it's enough for ODS-2). Thanks to Brian's link to the DECUS library, I
    >might just try again.

    Let me know if you do and how successful you are with it.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  14. Re: Looking for SEDT source code

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

    > In article <000301c7e1b2$38556fa0$7ef1a8c0@hpxp>, "Hank Vander Waal"
    > writes: {...snip...}
    > > Thanks for the trigger. I tried some years ago to build SEDT on
    > > Solaris (I use it everywhere else) but had trouble with the 'make'
    > > process and had too many more interesting things to do on VMS
    > >
    > > There are a couple of bugs in the VMS version that I've meant to fix
    > > for years, if I had the time, the source and the build procedure.
    > > The simplest is to increase the storage for filenames from 80 to
    > > 255 (well it's enough for ODS-2). Thanks to Brian's link to the
    > > DECUS library, I might just try again.

    > Let me know if you do and how successful you are with it.

    Will do Brian

    --
    Cheers - Dave

  15. Re: Looking for SEDT source code

    Paul McIlfatrick wrote:
    > Back on 22nd November 2005 Lee Roth posted the following article in
    > the comp.unix.solaris newsgroup:
    >
    >> Briefly: I have permission from the original author of SEDT (Anker
    >> Berg-Sonne) to make my modified-for-Solaris binary + source files
    >> available.
    >>
    >> If you've never used the DEC EDT editor I certainly don't suggest you
    >> begin to do so now, but if you are an old-time DEC user like me that
    >> has the EDT editor burned deep into your brain's ROM, you may want to
    >> give this powerful EDT-on-steroids editor a look.
    >>
    >> I had to do a couple of minor tweaks to get the sources to compile,
    >> but I have created a binary that runs on Solaris 7, 8 and 9 (Sparc)
    >> and a separate binary that (at least) Solaris 7 on Intel platforms.
    >> I have not yet tested the binary on Solaris 10 (Sparc).
    >>
    >> Additional details at http://easy48.com/sedt/
    >>
    >> Check out the above link... if interested, please respond to this
    >> posting.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Lee Roth

    > A few days ago I posted an article to the comp.unix.solaris newsgroup
    > asking if Lee Roth had ever made the modified-for-Solaris binary +
    > source files available. I got three replies, each trying to be funny
    > about painting the numlock key gold.
    >
    > In Alan Roth's article he mentioned the http://easy48.com/sedt/ web
    > page and it still exists. Some days ago I sent an e-mail to Lee at
    > the address he gives on that page but so far there has been no reply.
    >

    > As someone who started out on VMS back in 1983 and got used to
    > programming DCL and using EDT, I have never got used to vi on Solaris
    > after my company moved to Sun machines around 1996.
    >

    > Do any of you people who read this newsgroup know:
    >
    > 1) is the SEDT source available somewhere on the Internet for download
    > (Google search didn't turn up anything)?
    >
    > or
    >
    > 2) is there SEDT Solaris binary available (I know this is a VMS
    > newsgroup!)?
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > Paul McIlfatrick

    SEDT, now there are some memories. That was my editor of choice on my
    Rainbow 100+ (a sturdy machine that lived for more than a decade before
    expiring). violins please ...

    Anyway, what is the best choice for a free "windows" editor with a fully
    functional EDT interface (incl. macros) ?
    I do not work in the VMS world anymore, so I am editing on windows and I
    admit that I miss TPU/EDT.

    cheers
    Dweeb

  16. Re: Looking for SEDT source code

    Dr. Dweeb wrote:
    > Paul McIlfatrick wrote:
    >
    >>Back on 22nd November 2005 Lee Roth posted the following article in
    >>the comp.unix.solaris newsgroup:
    >>

    >>>Briefly: I have permission from the original author of SEDT (Anker
    >>>Berg-Sonne) to make my modified-for-Solaris binary + source files
    >>>available.
    >>>
    >>>If you've never used the DEC EDT editor I certainly don't suggest you
    >>>begin to do so now, but if you are an old-time DEC user like me that
    >>>has the EDT editor burned deep into your brain's ROM, you may want to
    >>>give this powerful EDT-on-steroids editor a look.
    >>>
    >>>I had to do a couple of minor tweaks to get the sources to compile,
    >>>but I have created a binary that runs on Solaris 7, 8 and 9 (Sparc)
    >>>and a separate binary that (at least) Solaris 7 on Intel platforms.
    >>>I have not yet tested the binary on Solaris 10 (Sparc).
    >>>
    >>>Additional details at http://easy48.com/sedt/
    >>>
    >>>Check out the above link... if interested, please respond to this
    >>>posting.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>
    >>>Lee Roth

    >>A few days ago I posted an article to the comp.unix.solaris newsgroup
    >>asking if Lee Roth had ever made the modified-for-Solaris binary +
    >>source files available. I got three replies, each trying to be funny
    >>about painting the numlock key gold.
    >>
    >>In Alan Roth's article he mentioned the http://easy48.com/sedt/ web
    >>page and it still exists. Some days ago I sent an e-mail to Lee at
    >>the address he gives on that page but so far there has been no reply.
    >>

    >>As someone who started out on VMS back in 1983 and got used to
    >>programming DCL and using EDT, I have never got used to vi on Solaris
    >>after my company moved to Sun machines around 1996.
    >>

    >>Do any of you people who read this newsgroup know:
    >>
    >>1) is the SEDT source available somewhere on the Internet for download
    >>(Google search didn't turn up anything)?
    >>
    >>or
    >>
    >>2) is there SEDT Solaris binary available (I know this is a VMS
    >>newsgroup!)?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>

    >>Paul McIlfatrick

    > SEDT, now there are some memories. That was my editor of choice on my
    > Rainbow 100+ (a sturdy machine that lived for more than a decade before
    > expiring). violins please ...
    >
    > Anyway, what is the best choice for a free "windows" editor with a fully
    > functional EDT interface (incl. macros) ?
    > I do not work in the VMS world anymore, so I am editing on windows and I
    > admit that I miss TPU/EDT.
    >
    > cheers
    > Dweeb

    There used to be a program called EDT+ from Boston Business Computing
    that ran under DOS. It was expensive! It's the only one I've ever seen
    or heard of.

  17. Re: Looking for SEDT source code

    On Aug 20, 7:02 am, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    wrote:
    > Dr. Dweeb wrote:
    > > Paul McIlfatrick wrote:

    > >>Back on 22nd November 2005 Lee Roth posted the following article in
    > >>the comp.unix.solaris newsgroup:

    > >>A few days ago I posted an article to the comp.unix.solaris newsgroup
    > >>asking if Lee Roth had ever made the modified-for-Solaris binary +
    > >>source files available. I got three replies, each trying to be funny
    > >>about painting the numlock key gold.

    > >>In Alan Roth's article he mentioned thehttp://easy48.com/sedt/web
    > >>page and it still exists. Some days ago I sent an e-mail to Lee at
    > >>the address he gives on that page but so far there has been no reply.

    > >>As someone who started out on VMS back in 1983 and got used to
    > >>programming DCL and using EDT, I have never got used to vi on Solaris
    > >>after my company moved to Sun machines around 1996.

    > >>Do any of you people who read this newsgroup know:

    > >>1) is the SEDT source available somewhere on the Internet for download
    > >>(Google search didn't turn up anything)?

    > >>or

    > >>2) is there SEDT Solaris binary available (I know this is a VMS
    > >>newsgroup!)?

    > >>Thanks

    > >>Paul McIlfatrick

    > > SEDT, now there are some memories. That was my editor of choice on my
    > > Rainbow 100+ (a sturdy machine that lived for more than a decade before
    > > expiring). violins please ...

    > > Anyway, what is the best choice for a free "windows" editor with a fully
    > > functional EDT interface (incl. macros) ?
    > > I do not work in the VMS world anymore, so I am editing on windows and I
    > > admit that I miss TPU/EDT.

    > > cheers
    > > Dweeb

    > There used to be a program called EDT+ from Boston Business Computing
    > that ran under DOS. It was expensive! It's the only one I've ever seen
    > or heard of.- Hide quoted text -

    Just on Friday a remote campus asked me about SEDT, so I found
    my 3 year old Linux copy and ZIPped it up ... try

    http://vaxa.wvnet.edu/~verne/verne-sedt2.zip

    (sources and a binary, RedHat AS release 3) ... had to make some
    minor
    changes to it back then (or at least I thought I did, not really a C
    programmer)

    Took me awhile 3 yrs ago if I recall, to originally find it myself on
    the web :-)

    Verne

  18. Re: Looking for SEDT source code

    On 08/20/07 13:53, Verne wrote:
    [snip]

    > Just on Friday a remote campus asked me about SEDT, so I found
    > my 3 year old Linux copy and ZIPped it up ... try
    >
    > http://vaxa.wvnet.edu/~verne/verne-sedt2.zip
    >
    > (sources and a binary, RedHat AS release 3) ... had to make some
    > minor
    > changes to it back then (or at least I thought I did, not really a C
    > programmer)

    Thanks. I'll try it on Debian Sid. Hopefully not too many bugs.

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA

  19. Re: Looking for SEDT source code

    Verne wrote:

    > On Aug 20, 7:02 am, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    > wrote:
    > > Dr. Dweeb wrote:

    > > > SEDT, now there are some memories. That was my editor of choice
    > > > on my Rainbow 100+ (a sturdy machine that lived for more than a
    > > > decade before expiring). violins please ...

    > > > Anyway, what is the best choice for a free "windows" editor with
    > > > a fully functional EDT interface (incl. macros) ?
    > > > I do not work in the VMS world anymore, so I am editing on
    > > > windows and I admit that I miss TPU/EDT.

    > > > cheers
    > > > Dweeb

    > > There used to be a program called EDT+ from Boston Business
    > > Computing that ran under DOS. It was expensive! It's the only one
    > > I've ever seen or heard of.- Hide quoted text -

    > Just on Friday a remote campus asked me about SEDT, so I found
    > my 3 year old Linux copy and ZIPped it up ... try
    >
    > http://vaxa.wvnet.edu/~verne/verne-sedt2.zip
    >
    > (sources and a binary, RedHat AS release 3) ... had to make some
    > minor
    > changes to it back then (or at least I thought I did, not really a C
    > programmer)
    >
    > Took me awhile 3 yrs ago if I recall, to originally find it myself on
    > the web :-)
    >
    > Verne

    Was this the OS/2 version originally Verne? The sedt*2* got me
    wondering.

    --
    Cheers - Dave

  20. Re: Looking for SEDT source code

    Dr. Dweeb wrote:

    > Paul McIlfatrick wrote:
    > > Back on 22nd November 2005 Lee Roth posted the following article in
    > > the comp.unix.solaris newsgroup:
    > >
    > > > Briefly: I have permission from the original author of SEDT (Anker
    > > > Berg-Sonne) to make my modified-for-Solaris binary + source files
    > > > available.
    > > >
    > > > If you've never used the DEC EDT editor I certainly don't suggest
    > > > you begin to do so now, but if you are an old-time DEC user like
    > > > me that has the EDT editor burned deep into your brain's ROM, you
    > > > may want to give this powerful EDT-on-steroids editor a look.
    > > >
    > > > I had to do a couple of minor tweaks to get the sources to
    > > > compile, but I have created a binary that runs on Solaris 7, 8
    > > > and 9 (Sparc) and a separate binary that (at least) Solaris 7 on
    > > > Intel platforms. I have not yet tested the binary on Solaris 10
    > > > (Sparc).
    > > >
    > > > Additional details at http://easy48.com/sedt/
    > > >
    > > > Check out the above link... if interested, please respond to this
    > > > posting.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >
    > > > Lee Roth

    > > A few days ago I posted an article to the comp.unix.solaris
    > > newsgroup asking if Lee Roth had ever made the modified-for-Solaris
    > > binary + source files available. I got three replies, each trying
    > > to be funny about painting the numlock key gold.
    > >
    > > In Alan Roth's article he mentioned the http://easy48.com/sedt/ web
    > > page and it still exists. Some days ago I sent an e-mail to Lee at
    > > the address he gives on that page but so far there has been no
    > > reply.
    > >

    > > As someone who started out on VMS back in 1983 and got used to
    > > programming DCL and using EDT, I have never got used to vi on
    > > Solaris after my company moved to Sun machines around 1996.
    > >

    > > Do any of you people who read this newsgroup know:
    > >
    > > 1) is the SEDT source available somewhere on the Internet for
    > > download (Google search didn't turn up anything)?
    > >
    > > or
    > >
    > > 2) is there SEDT Solaris binary available (I know this is a VMS
    > > newsgroup!)?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > > Paul McIlfatrick

    > SEDT, now there are some memories. That was my editor of choice on
    > my Rainbow 100+ (a sturdy machine that lived for more than a decade
    > before expiring). violins please ...
    >
    > Anyway, what is the best choice for a free "windows" editor with a
    > fully functional EDT interface (incl. macros) ? I do not work in the
    > VMS world anymore, so I am editing on windows and I admit that I miss
    > TPU/EDT.
    >
    > cheers
    > Dweeb

    Did you never try Anker's Windows version of SEDT. It does work but can
    be a bit frustrating with the numlock key behaviour...I still use it on
    W2k/XP occasionally.

    --
    Cheers - Dave

+ Reply to Thread