Looking for SEDT source code - VMS

This is a discussion on Looking for SEDT source code - VMS ; dave weatherall wrote: > Dr. Dweeb wrote: > >> Paul McIlfatrick wrote: >>> Back on 22nd November 2005 Lee Roth posted the following article in >>> the comp.unix.solaris newsgroup: >>> >>>> Briefly: I have permission from the original author of ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: Looking for SEDT source code

    dave weatherall wrote:
    > Dr. Dweeb wrote:
    >
    >> Paul McIlfatrick wrote:
    >>> Back on 22nd November 2005 Lee Roth posted the following article in
    >>> the comp.unix.solaris newsgroup:

    >>> A few days ago I posted an article to the comp.unix.solaris
    >>> newsgroup asking if Lee Roth had ever made the modified-for-Solaris
    >>> binary + source files available. I got three replies, each trying
    >>> to be funny about painting the numlock key gold.
    >>>
    >>> In Alan Roth's article he mentioned the http://easy48.com/sedt/ web
    >>> page and it still exists. Some days ago I sent an e-mail to Lee at
    >>> the address he gives on that page but so far there has been no
    >>> reply.
    >>>

    >>> As someone who started out on VMS back in 1983 and got used to
    >>> programming DCL and using EDT, I have never got used to vi on
    >>> Solaris after my company moved to Sun machines around 1996.
    >>>

    >>> Do any of you people who read this newsgroup know:
    >>>
    >>> 1) is the SEDT source available somewhere on the Internet for
    >>> download (Google search didn't turn up anything)?
    >>>
    >>> or
    >>>
    >>> 2) is there SEDT Solaris binary available (I know this is a VMS
    >>> newsgroup!)?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >>> Paul McIlfatrick

    >> SEDT, now there are some memories. That was my editor of choice on
    >> my Rainbow 100+ (a sturdy machine that lived for more than a decade
    >> before expiring). violins please ...
    >>
    >> Anyway, what is the best choice for a free "windows" editor with a
    >> fully functional EDT interface (incl. macros) ? I do not work in the
    >> VMS world anymore, so I am editing on windows and I admit that I miss
    >> TPU/EDT.
    >>
    >> cheers
    >> Dweeb

    > Did you never try Anker's Windows version of SEDT. It does work but
    > can be a bit frustrating with the numlock key behaviour...I still use
    > it on W2k/XP occasionally.

    No. I did not know it existsed. DO you have a link.

    Dweeb

  2. Re: Looking for SEDT source code

    Dr. Dweeb wrote:

    > dave weatherall wrote:
    > > Dr. Dweeb wrote:

    > > > SEDT, now there are some memories. That was my editor of choice
    > > > on my Rainbow 100+ (a sturdy machine that lived for more than a
    > > > decade before expiring). violins please ...
    > > >
    > > > Anyway, what is the best choice for a free "windows" editor with a
    > > > fully functional EDT interface (incl. macros) ? I do not work in
    > > > the VMS world anymore, so I am editing on windows and I admit
    > > > that I miss TPU/EDT.
    > > >
    > > > cheers
    > > > Dweeb

    > > Did you never try Anker's Windows version of SEDT. It does work but
    > > can be a bit frustrating with the numlock key behaviour...I still
    > > use it on W2k/XP occasionally.

    > No. I did not know it existsed. DO you have a link.
    >
    > Dweeb

    I'll check. I think the one I have was from Anker's site, which seems
    not to be working now. If not I'll mail you a copy. The source is in
    Verne's archive.

    --
    Cheers - Dave

  3. Re: Looking for SEDT source code

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

    > In article <000301c7e1b2$38556fa0$7ef1a8c0@hpxp>, "Hank Vander Waal"
    > writes: {...snip...}
    > > Thanks for the trigger. I tried some years ago to build SEDT on
    > > Solaris (I use it everywhere else) but had trouble with the 'make'
    > > process and had too many more interesting things to do on VMS
    > >
    > > There are a couple of bugs in the VMS version that I've meant to fix
    > > for years, if I had the time, the source and the build procedure.
    > > The simplest is to increase the storage for filenames from 80 to
    > > 255 (well it's enough for ODS-2). Thanks to Brian's link to the
    > > DECUS library, I might just try again.

    > Let me know if you do and how successful you are with it.

    I started yesterday. Needed to make QIO.MAR Alpha compilabble and add
    some 'includes' to get the prototying correct and eliminate a rake of
    warnings and informationals.

    That left about 4/5 issues to be resolved. One was definitely an error.
    One was the fact that SEDT had its own select() function that
    understandably generated a multiple sysmbol definition warning at link
    time. It's not used so I plinged(*) it out.

    One was this line :-

    my_line=Home= ++Home;

    The compiler warns me about trying to modify Home too often. Fair
    comment.

    I'm not sure what he intended but the white space '= ++" makes me think
    he meant :-

    my_line=Home; ++Home;

    Anybody any thoughts. It seems to run but I haven't hammered it.

    I've started with the source from Decus and will merge with the
    'Windows NT' version I had from about 1996. Verne's sources might be
    slightly later still.

    I just created .COM files to do the compile and link.

    --
    Cheers - Dave

    * Pling - slang for commenting out with '!', pling, character :-)
    Obviously not wholly appropriate to to C's /* */

  4. Re: Looking for SEDT source code

    > I'll check. I think the one I have was from Anker's site, which seems
    > not to be working now. If not I'll mail you a copy. The source is in

    What do you know - following my original post Anker Berg-Sonne e-mailed me!

    He has made his source code available to me and I have now downloaded it.

    Asked about the status of his source code, Anker replied "You can do
    anything you want with the source code. I stopped working on Sedt many years
    ago (probably a mistake, but too late now), and just wish that the work
    benefits as many as possible."

    Also, he has OKed making his e-mail address available.

    It is: bostonsearover gmail com

    Regards

    Paul

  5. Re: Looking for SEDT source code

    Paul McIlfatrick wrote:

    > > I'll check. I think the one I have was from Anker's site, which
    > > seems not to be working now. If not I'll mail you a copy. The
    > > source is in

    > What do you know - following my original post Anker Berg-Sonne
    > e-mailed me!
    >
    > He has made his source code available to me and I have now downloaded
    > it.
    >
    > Asked about the status of his source code, Anker replied "You can do
    > anything you want with the source code. I stopped working on Sedt
    > many years ago (probably a mistake, but too late now), and just wish
    > that the work benefits as many as possible."
    >
    > Also, he has OKed making his e-mail address available.
    >
    > It is: bostonsearover gmail com
    >

    > Regards
    >

    > Paul

    Thanks Paul. I'll drop him a line.