Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas - VMS

This is a discussion on Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas - VMS ; In article , bradhamilton@comcast.net (Brad Hamilton) writes: > >Shame on you for not moving to Linux. You'd be happier. > > In general, I'm happier with Linux than with Windows on my laptop (sorry, Bill > G., but wireless network ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 59 of 59

  1. Re: Linux Happiness (was:Re: Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations...

    In article ,
    bradhamilton@comcast.net (Brad Hamilton) writes:

    > >Shame on you for not moving to Linux. You'd be happier.

    > In general, I'm happier with Linux than with Windows on my laptop (sorry, Bill
    > G., but wireless network "support" for *BSD is chancy - otherwise, I'd be there
    > with my laptop :-))

    On the other hand, another Bill G. is happier.

  2. Re: Linux Happiness

    > In article ,
    > bradhamilton@comcast.net (Brad Hamilton) writes:
    >

    >>>Shame on you for not moving to Linux. You'd be happier.

    >>In general, I'm happier with Linux than with Windows on my laptop (sorry, Bill
    >>G., but wireless network "support" for *BSD is chancy - otherwise, I'd be there
    >>with my laptop :-))

    > On the other hand, another Bill G. is happier.

    We don't know that.

    Of course, as my maternal Grand-Mother was want to say, "Money may not
    buy you happiness but it's better to be rich and miserable than poor and
    miserable."

  3. Re: Linux Happiness (was:Re: Free to good home. Microvaxes...)

    In article , Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply
    wrote:
    >In article ,
    >bradhamilton@comcast.net (Brad Hamilton) writes:
    >
    >> >Shame on you for not moving to Linux. You'd be happier.

    >> In general, I'm happier with Linux than with Windows on my laptop (sorry, Bill
    >> G., but wireless network "support" for *BSD is chancy - otherwise, I'd be there
    >> with my laptop :-))

    >On the other hand, another Bill G. is happier.

    My apologies in advance for encroaching cerebral density, but how does using
    Linux instead of Windows make the "other" Bill G. happy?

  4. Re: Linux Happiness (was:Re: Free to good home. Microvaxes...)

    In article ,
    bradhamilton@comcast.net (Brad Hamilton) writes:

    > In article , Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply
    > wrote:

    > >> In general, I'm happier with Linux than with Windows on my laptop (sorry, Bill
    > >> G., but wireless network "support" for *BSD is chancy - otherwise, I'd be there
    > >> with my laptop :-))

    > >On the other hand, another Bill G. is happier.

    > My apologies in advance for encroaching cerebral density, but how does using
    > Linux instead of Windows make the "other" Bill G. happy?

    See above: "than with Windows on my laptop", so presumably there is a
    laptop with Windows on it. Or I misread the original posting. Be that
    as it may, I wonder how Mr. Gunshannon fancies being referred to as
    "Bill G.". :-|

  5. Re: Linux Happiness (was:Re: Free to good home. Microvaxes...)

    In article ,
    helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to
    reply) wrote:

    > I wonder how Mr. Gunshannon fancies being referred to as
    > "Bill G.". :-|

    I think he signed himself as "The other Bill G." once. I remember having
    a nice chuckle at that.

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  6. Re: Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas

    In article <170820071419444158%nospam@yrl.co.uk>, Elliott Roper writes:

    > I'm using emacs on OS X now, I'm ashamed to relate.
    > It is bit verbose, and the syntax colouring is a bit girly, but it has
    > the same unforgiving nature that you grow to love in teco. ;-)

    Probably because TECO was the first engine emacs was written on.

  7. EMACS [was: Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas]

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 05:38:18 -0700, Bob Koehler
    wrote:

    > In article <170820071419444158%nospam@yrl.co.uk>, Elliott Roper
    > writes:
    >>
    >> I'm using emacs on OS X now, I'm ashamed to relate.
    >> It is bit verbose, and the syntax colouring is a bit girly, but it has
    >> the same unforgiving nature that you grow to love in teco. ;-)

    > Probably because TECO was the first engine emacs was written on.

    A little history FYI
    http://www.multicians.org/mepap.html

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  8. Re: EMACS [was: Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas]

    In article , Tom Linden
    wrote:

    > On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 05:38:18 -0700, Bob Koehler
    > wrote:
    >
    > > In article <170820071419444158%nospam@yrl.co.uk>, Elliott Roper
    > > writes:
    > >>
    > >> I'm using emacs on OS X now, I'm ashamed to relate.
    > >> It is bit verbose, and the syntax colouring is a bit girly, but it has
    > >> the same unforgiving nature that you grow to love in teco. ;-)

    > > Probably because TECO was the first engine emacs was written on.
    > >

    > A little history FYI
    > http://www.multicians.org/mepap.html

    Thank you Tom! Fantastic, concentrated goodness!

    --
    To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
    PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248

  9. Re: EMACS [was: Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas]

    "Tom Linden" writes:

    > On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 05:38:18 -0700, Bob Koehler
    > wrote:

    >> In article <170820071419444158%nospam@yrl.co.uk>, Elliott Roper
    >> writes:

    >>> I'm using emacs on OS X now, I'm ashamed to relate.
    >>> It is bit verbose, and the syntax colouring is a bit girly, but it has
    >>> the same unforgiving nature that you grow to love in teco. ;-)

    >> Probably because TECO was the first engine emacs was written on.

    > A little history FYI
    > http://www.multicians.org/mepap.html

    An old .sig of mine read

    Rich Alderson Last LOTS Tops-20 Systems Programmer, 1984-1991
    Current maintainer, MIT TECO EMACS (v. 170)
    last name @

    Note that second line? It's still true.

    --
    Rich Alderson | /"\ ASCII ribbon |
    news@alderson.users.panix.com | \ / campaign against |

  10. Re: EMACS [was: Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas]

    In article , Rich Alderson writes:

    > Current maintainer, MIT TECO EMACS (v. 170)

    So will MIT TECO EMACS run on top of the teco-c I have running on
    my Windoze box, or does it need a real TECO engine from MIT?

  11. Re: EMACS [was: Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas]

    koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:

    > In article , Rich Alderson
    > writes:

    >> Current maintainer, MIT TECO EMACS (v. 170)

    > So will MIT TECO EMACS run on top of the teco-c I have running on
    > my Windoze box, or does it need a real TECO engine from MIT?

    EMACS (so spelt; "Emacs" = one of the modern Lisp versions) requires an engine
    that understands the MIT TECO command set. Pete Siemsen was approached[1]
    about doing that command set for tecoc at the DECUS session where he presented
    his then brand new baby; it doesn't appear that he ever did one.

    Biggest issue is that the 36-bitness of the PDP-10 is heavily engrained in the
    MIT version of TECO, which moved from the PDP-1 to the PDP-6 in 1964.

    [1] Not by me. I was just standing there when it happened.

    --
    Rich Alderson | /"\ ASCII ribbon |
    news@alderson.users.panix.com | \ / campaign against |
    "You get what anybody gets. You get a lifetime." | x HTML mail and |
    --Death, of the Endless | / \ postings |

  12. Re: EMACS [was: Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas]

    On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 17:47:19 -0700, Rich Alderson
    wrote:

    > koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:
    >
    >> In article , Rich Alderson
    >> writes:

    >>> Current maintainer, MIT TECO EMACS (v.
    >>> 170)

    >> So will MIT TECO EMACS run on top of the teco-c I have running on
    >> my Windoze box, or does it need a real TECO engine from MIT?

    > EMACS (so spelt; "Emacs" = one of the modern Lisp versions) requiresan
    > engine
    > that understands the MIT TECO command set. Pete Siemsen was
    > approached[1]
    > about doing that command set for tecoc at the DECUS session where he
    > presented
    > his then brand new baby; it doesn't appear that he ever did one.
    >
    > Biggest issue is that the 36-bitness of the PDP-10 is heavily engrained
    > in the
    > MIT version of TECO, which moved from the PDP-1 to the PDP-6 in 1964.
    >
    > [1] Not by me. I was just standing there when it happened.

    Just to add to the story, Bob Frankston wrote the Primos version of emacs
    in PL/I. It ran marvelously. Stratus also had a version written in PL/I,
    but
    I don't recall the name of the guy who wrote it. About the same time
    there were
    a couple of other C versions one be Jim Gosling at CMU (later known for
    Java) and
    a guy whose name I can't remember at CCA (Computer Corporation of America)

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  13. Re: EMACS [was: Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas]

    In article , Rich Alderson writes:

    > Biggest issue is that the 36-bitness of the PDP-10 is heavily engrained in the
    > MIT version of TECO, which moved from the PDP-1 to the PDP-6 in 1964.

    Not something one would like to port to a 32 bit system then, but
    might be easier to port to a 64 bit system. What language is it
    written in?

    (Reminds me of when the SIMH guys said it will be so much easier
    to simulate a PDP-10 on Alpha than it had been on VAX, the VAX
    version of the PDP-10 since having been dropped.)

  14. Re: EMACS [was: Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas]

    koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:

    > In article , Rich Alderson
    > writes:

    >> Biggest issue is that the 36-bitness of the PDP-10 is heavily engrained in
    >> the MIT version of TECO, which moved from the PDP-1 to the PDP-6 in 1964.

    > Not something one would like to port to a 32 bit system then, but
    > might be easier to port to a 64 bit system. What language is it
    > written in?

    MIDAS, the MIT assembler for the PDP-6/PDP-10. If you want to take a look at
    what that's like, the TECO sources are available at

    http://pdp-10.trailing-edge.com/mit_.../teco.mid.html

    (and other *.MID files found under

    http://pdp-10.trailing-edge.com/mit_...220/index.html

    ).

    > (Reminds me of when the SIMH guys said it will be so much easier
    > to simulate a PDP-10 on Alpha than it had been on VAX, the VAX
    > version of the PDP-10 since having been dropped.)

    Not sure what you mean by that. You mean compiling SimH on the VAX to simulate
    a KS-10 processor? Should work, even if it would be rather slow. Probably
    better under something Unix-y than under VMS, I'd think.

    --
    Rich Alderson | /"\ ASCII ribbon |
    news@alderson.users.panix.com | \ / campaign against |
    "You get what anybody gets. You get a lifetime." | x HTML mail and |
    --Death, of the Endless | / \ postings |

  15. Re: Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas

    In article <130820070946381392%nospam@yrl.co.uk>, Elliott Roper
    wrote:

    > I have a pile of old kit waiting to go to the tip.
    > Phillip Helbig, as he grabbed the best stuff, convinced me I should
    > mention what's left in case anyone wants it.

    The last of it has left the building.
    I'm pleased to say that all the really useful bits seem to have new
    owners who will look after and use the dear old things.

    It is a bit sad to be saying goodbye to VMS (well maybe I'll crank up
    SIMH on a Mac if the nostalgia gets unbearable)

    But, hell, it *was* fun while it lasted.

    --
    To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
    PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248

  16. Re: Linux Happiness (was:Re: Free to good home. Microvaxes...)

    In article ,
    helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply) writes:
    > In article ,
    > bradhamilton@comcast.net (Brad Hamilton) writes:
    >
    >> In article , Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply
    >> wrote:

    >> >On the other hand, another Bill G. is happier.

    >> My apologies in advance for encroaching cerebral density, but how does using
    >> Linux instead of Windows make the "other" Bill G. happy?

    > See above: "than with Windows on my laptop", so presumably there is a
    > laptop with Windows on it. Or I misread the original posting. Be that
    > as it may, I wonder how Mr. Gunshannon fancies being referred to as
    > "Bill G.". :-|

    Hmmm...... Let's see.....

    When I worked at the Naval Academy (in my beltway bandit days) the bottom
    of my cup usually said either billg or bgun.
    I frequently use email addresses that consist of billg and some number.
    My Yahoo Fantasy Football account is one of those billg ids.

    Nope, doesn't seem to mind it a bit. :-)

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  17. Re: Linux Happiness (was:Re: Free to good home. Microvaxes...)

    In article ,
    "P. Sture" writes:
    > In article ,
    > helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to
    > reply) wrote:
    >
    >> I wonder how Mr. Gunshannon fancies being referred to as
    >> "Bill G.". :-|

    > I think he signed himself as "The other Bill G." once. I remember having
    > a nice chuckle at that.

    Never, as I would never associate myself with that other Bill G. even
    that remotely.

    I did once call myself "the other bill" but that was in comparison to
    Bill T. :-)

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  18. Re: Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas

    In article <230820070052253169%nospam@yrl.co.uk>, Elliott Roper
    writes:

    > In article <130820070946381392%nospam@yrl.co.uk>, Elliott Roper
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I have a pile of old kit waiting to go to the tip.
    > > Phillip Helbig, as he grabbed the best stuff, convinced me I should
    > > mention what's left in case anyone wants it.

    > The last of it has left the building.

    WOW! Just like Elvis!

    Hopefully, we staunch supporters of VMS who say that it is "still alive"
    won't be thrown into the same bin as the multitude of people who have
    reported Elvis sightings. :-|

  19. Re: Linux Happiness (was:Re: Free to good home. Microvaxes...)

    In article <5j5s4fF3sv1a5U4@mid.individual.net>,
    bill@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) wrote:

    > In article ,
    > "P. Sture" writes:
    > > In article ,
    > > helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to
    > > reply) wrote:
    > >
    > >> I wonder how Mr. Gunshannon fancies being referred to as
    > >> "Bill G.". :-|

    > > I think he signed himself as "The other Bill G." once. I remember having
    > > a nice chuckle at that.

    > Never, as I would never associate myself with that other Bill G. even
    > that remotely.

    Please accept my deepest apologies :-)

    > I did once call myself "the other bill" but that was in comparison to
    > Bill T. :-)

    That could have been it.

    --
    Paul Sture