Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas - VMS

This is a discussion on Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas - VMS ; In article , healyzh@aracnet.com writes: > Elliott Roper wrote: > > Update: > > It is now a much smaller pile, changes below. Probably not worth > > bothering with unless you are close and are really keen for spares. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 59

Thread: Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas

  1. Re: Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas

    In article , healyzh@aracnet.com writes:

    > Elliott Roper wrote:
    > > Update:
    > > It is now a much smaller pile, changes below. Probably not worth
    > > bothering with unless you are close and are really keen for spares.

    >
    >
    > > 5 x 4000 VLC

    >
    > Wish you were close to me, rather than being on another continent. I can't
    > believe no one has grabbed these. Five of them would be rather fun. I use
    > a VLC as my DECnet router for HECnet.


    The VLC stands for "very low cost". At the time, that was true compared
    to other VAXen, though the new price then would be considered expensive
    today, even not allowing for inflation.

    However, due to their small size and thus small power requirements, they
    are also very low cost with respect to power consumption. Build a
    cluster of such machines and configure a more powerful node as a
    satellite and switch it on only when you need it.


  2. Re: Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas

    Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply wrote:
    > However, due to their small size and thus small power requirements, they
    > are also very low cost with respect to power consumption. Build a


    This is the part that interests me, the size and power consumption. For the
    job mine is doing it is just fine. Though it is not exactly small with a
    BA350 hooked up to it. I recently was going to upgrade it to a VS4000/60 or
    /90, until I realized that I couldn't, as I don't have the room.

    > cluster of such machines and configure a more powerful node as a
    > satellite and switch it on only when you need it.


    They would make a very attractive hobbyist cluster, especially coupled with
    a BA350 shelf or two, a DECserver capable of Reverse LAT for the console
    connections, and a single VT420 terminal.

    Zane


  3. Re: Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas

    On Aug 13, 2:43 pm, hel...@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---
    remove CLOTHES to reply) wrote:
    > In article <130820070946381392%nos...@yrl.co.uk>, Elliott Roper

    [...]
    >
    > > To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$

    >
    > I think requiring potential takers to know Teco is taking things a bit
    > too far, though! In case anyone can't follow the above, it's a Teco
    > command and the "$" is what the terminal shows when escape (CTRL-[) is
    > entered; put the munged address into a file and fire up edit/teco on it!


    I give up. Please tell me how to use TECO to demunge the secret code.
    I put it in a file, ran EDIT/TECO, and nothing. Typed it in to the *
    as a command, nothing.

    Please give a clear, detailed answer.

    Thanks!

    AEF


  4. Re: Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas

    In article <1187353419.635280.280010@r34g2000hsd.googlegroups. com>,
    AEF writes:
    > On Aug 13, 2:43 pm, hel...@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---
    > remove CLOTHES to reply) wrote:
    >> In article <130820070946381392%nos...@yrl.co.uk>, Elliott Roper

    > [...]
    >>
    >> > To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$

    >>
    >> I think requiring potential takers to know Teco is taking things a bit
    >> too far, though! In case anyone can't follow the above, it's a Teco
    >> command and the "$" is what the terminal shows when escape (CTRL-[) is
    >> entered; put the munged address into a file and fire up edit/teco on it!

    >
    > I give up. Please tell me how to use TECO to demunge the secret code.
    > I put it in a file, ran EDIT/TECO, and nothing. Typed it in to the *
    > as a command, nothing.
    >
    > Please give a clear, detailed answer.
    >
    > Thanks!


    Put nospam@yrl.co.uk in your editor.
    type fsnospam[ESC]elliott[ESC][ESC]

    fs = find/substitute
    [ESC] the escape key is the command key separating the two strings
    and a double [ESC] is the execute key.

    Of course, you should be able to see what it does without doing anything.
    It is a simple text substitution.

    bill
    (Who stopped using TECO in the PDP-11 days before the first VAX saw
    the light of day!!)

    --
    Bill Gunshannon | de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n. Three wolves
    bill@cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  5. Re: Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas

    In article <5ilk49F3p6tlgU1@mid.individual.net>, Bill Gunshannon
    wrote:

    > In article <1187353419.635280.280010@r34g2000hsd.googlegroups. com>,
    > AEF writes:
    > > On Aug 13, 2:43 pm, hel...@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---
    > > remove CLOTHES to reply) wrote:
    > >> In article <130820070946381392%nos...@yrl.co.uk>, Elliott Roper

    > > [...]
    > >>
    > >> > To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
    > >>
    > >> I think requiring potential takers to know Teco is taking things a bit
    > >> too far, though! In case anyone can't follow the above, it's a Teco
    > >> command and the "$" is what the terminal shows when escape (CTRL-[) is
    > >> entered; put the munged address into a file and fire up edit/teco on it!

    > >
    > > I give up. Please tell me how to use TECO to demunge the secret code.
    > > I put it in a file, ran EDIT/TECO, and nothing. Typed it in to the *
    > > as a command, nothing.
    > >
    > > Please give a clear, detailed answer.
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    >
    > Put nospam@yrl.co.uk in your editor.
    > type fsnospam[ESC]elliott[ESC][ESC]
    >
    > fs = find/substitute
    > [ESC] the escape key is the command key separating the two strings
    > and a double [ESC] is the execute key.
    >
    > Of course, you should be able to see what it does without doing anything.
    > It is a simple text substitution.


    Indeed! I guess that's why I figgered it was too easy a "good home"
    test.

    >
    > bill
    > (Who stopped using TECO in the PDP-11 days before the first VAX saw
    > the light of day!!)


    It's the same reason I kept on using teco. It was the one editor common
    to Tops-10 OS/8 RSX and VMS.

    I'm using emacs on OS X now, I'm ashamed to relate.
    It is bit verbose, and the syntax colouring is a bit girly, but it has
    the same unforgiving nature that you grow to love in teco. ;-)

    Translating the e-mail addy is a bit of a waste now. Almost all the
    good stuff is gone. I have three semi-broken Alpha 4/100's , one
    DECServer 200, 2 VLCs, and a broken Alpha 3000. Oh, and a pile of CRT
    monitors that is not getting too much attention.

    --
    To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
    PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248

  6. Re: Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas

    On Aug 17, 8:54 am, bill@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) wrote:
    > In article <1187353419.635280.280010@r34g2000hsd.googlegroups. com>,
    > AEF writes:
    >
    >
    >
    > > On Aug 13, 2:43 pm, hel...@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---
    > > remove CLOTHES to reply) wrote:
    > >> In article <130820070946381392%nos...@yrl.co.uk>, Elliott Roper

    > > [...]

    >
    > >> > To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$

    >
    > >> I think requiring potential takers to know Teco is taking things a bit
    > >> too far, though! In case anyone can't follow the above, it's a Teco
    > >> command and the "$" is what the terminal shows when escape (CTRL-[) is
    > >> entered; put the munged address into a file and fire up edit/teco on it!

    >
    > > I give up. Please tell me how to use TECO to demunge the secret code.
    > > I put it in a file, ran EDIT/TECO, and nothing. Typed it in to the *
    > > as a command, nothing.

    >
    > > Please give a clear, detailed answer.

    >
    > > Thanks!

    >
    > Put nospam@yrl.co.uk in your editor.
    > type fsnospam[ESC]elliott[ESC][ESC]
    >
    > fs = find/substitute
    > [ESC] the escape key is the command key separating the two strings
    > and a double [ESC] is the execute key.
    >
    > Of course, you should be able to see what it does without doing anything.
    > It is a simple text substitution.
    >
    > bill
    > (Who stopped using TECO in the PDP-11 days before the first VAX saw
    > the light of day!!)
    >
    > --
    > Bill Gunshannon | de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n. Three wolves
    > bill@cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    > University of Scranton |
    > Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include


    Got it. Thanks. (Slaps bottom of palm on forehead. I could have had a
    V8!)

    AEF


  7. Re: Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas

    AEF wrote:
    > On Aug 13, 2:43 pm, hel...@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---
    > remove CLOTHES to reply) wrote:
    >
    >>In article <130820070946381392%nos...@yrl.co.uk>, Elliott Roper

    >
    > [...]
    >
    >>>To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$

    >>
    >>I think requiring potential takers to know Teco is taking things a bit
    >>too far, though! In case anyone can't follow the above, it's a Teco
    >>command and the "$" is what the terminal shows when escape (CTRL-[) is
    >>entered; put the munged address into a file and fire up edit/teco on it!

    >
    >
    > I give up. Please tell me how to use TECO to demunge the secret code.
    > I put it in a file, ran EDIT/TECO, and nothing. Typed it in to the *
    > as a command, nothing.
    >
    > Please give a clear, detailed answer.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > AEF
    >


    A clear, detailed answer to a question about TECO is almost a
    contradiction in terms! TECO is one of the more arcane text editors. It
    is Unix-like in that it is "terse, cryptic, and dangerous". If you
    don't know what you are doing, be certain to have a current backup! I'm
    not saying that it will corrupt or delete all your files, but IT CAN!



  8. Re: Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas

    In article <46C5A9CE.9090107@comcast.net>, Richard B. Gilbert
    wrote:
    > A clear, detailed answer to a question about TECO is almost a
    > contradiction in terms! TECO is one of the more arcane text editors. It
    > is Unix-like in that it is "terse, cryptic, and dangerous". If you
    > don't know what you are doing, be certain to have a current backup! I'm
    > not saying that it will corrupt or delete all your files, but IT CAN!


    Amusing, but unfair to teco. There are very few programs whose commands
    are as precise and predictable. And, did I mention, terse.
    Teco has remarkably few unintended side-effects, in fact, remarkably
    few side-effects, a claim that could not be made about vi or EVE say.

    One of the more famous side-effects, loved by non-teco users, was to
    render runoff output editable again simply by reading and saving the
    file. Or, more precisely, erfile$ex$$ It did so by fixing the
    non-standard line terminators that runoff created on some systems.

    --
    To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
    PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248

  9. Re: Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas

    In article <170820071525411593%nospam@yrl.co.uk>,
    Elliott Roper wrote:

    > In article <46C5A9CE.9090107@comcast.net>, Richard B. Gilbert
    > wrote:
    > > A clear, detailed answer to a question about TECO is almost a
    > > contradiction in terms! TECO is one of the more arcane text editors. It
    > > is Unix-like in that it is "terse, cryptic, and dangerous". If you
    > > don't know what you are doing, be certain to have a current backup! I'm
    > > not saying that it will corrupt or delete all your files, but IT CAN!

    >
    > Amusing, but unfair to teco. There are very few programs whose commands
    > are as precise and predictable. And, did I mention, terse.
    > Teco has remarkably few unintended side-effects, in fact, remarkably
    > few side-effects, a claim that could not be made about vi or EVE say.
    >
    > One of the more famous side-effects, loved by non-teco users, was to
    > render runoff output editable again simply by reading and saving the
    > file. Or, more precisely, erfile$ex$$ It did so by fixing the
    > non-standard line terminators that runoff created on some systems.


    Yep, I've got a command procedure which does just that. This is it in
    EDT screen mode:

    $ runoff 'p1' ! .rno assumed
    $ edit/teco 'p1'.mem
    ex
    $ define /user sys$input sys$command
    $ edit/tpu 'p1'.mem ! to proof read the output

    For those who don't know, the output from RUNOFF contains pairs
    e.g.




    1 TEST TO DEMONSTRATE PAIRS IN A RUNOFF FILE

    The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick
    brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox
    jumps over the lazy dog.

    The printer driver strips the extraneous pairs, but they ain't
    pretty in an e-mail. The teco above strips them out.

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:
    http://eisner.encompasserve.org/~stu...bookmarks.html

  10. Re: Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas

    Elliott Roper wrote:
    > In article <46C5A9CE.9090107@comcast.net>, Richard B. Gilbert
    > wrote:
    >
    >>A clear, detailed answer to a question about TECO is almost a
    >>contradiction in terms! TECO is one of the more arcane text editors. It
    >>is Unix-like in that it is "terse, cryptic, and dangerous". If you
    >>don't know what you are doing, be certain to have a current backup! I'm
    >>not saying that it will corrupt or delete all your files, but IT CAN!

    >
    >
    > Amusing, but unfair to teco. There are very few programs whose commands
    > are as precise and predictable. And, did I mention, terse.
    > Teco has remarkably few unintended side-effects, in fact, remarkably
    > few side-effects, a claim that could not be made about vi or EVE say.
    >
    > One of the more famous side-effects, loved by non-teco users, was to
    > render runoff output editable again simply by reading and saving the
    > file. Or, more precisely, erfile$ex$$ It did so by fixing the
    > non-standard line terminators that runoff created on some systems.
    >


    Hmmm! ISTR that my one and only use of TECO was to remove unwanted LF
    line terminators from a file. It's been quite a few years since I
    needed to use RUNOFF for anything. . . . I used to work at Princeton
    years ago and RUNOFF was what passed for word processing in those days;
    you keypunched your text and fed your deck to the IBM mainframe and got
    back, if you did everything right, nicely formatted, mixed case, text.



  11. Re: Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas

    In article <5ilk49F3p6tlgU1@mid.individual.net>, bill@cs.uofs.edu (Bill
    Gunshannon) writes:

    > Put nospam@yrl.co.uk in your editor.
    > type fsnospam[ESC]elliott[ESC][ESC]

    ^^^^
    At the TECO prompt.


  12. Re: Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas

    In article <170820071419444158%nospam@yrl.co.uk>, Elliott Roper
    writes:

    > I'm using emacs on OS X now, I'm ashamed to relate.
    > It is bit verbose, and the syntax colouring is a bit girly, but it has
    > the same unforgiving nature that you grow to love in teco. ;-)


    The best thing about Emacs is the EDT emulation!

    > Translating the e-mail addy is a bit of a waste now. Almost all the
    > good stuff is gone. I have three semi-broken Alpha 4/100's , one
    > DECServer 200, 2 VLCs, and a broken Alpha 3000. Oh, and a pile of CRT
    > monitors that is not getting too much attention.


    I didn't look at the monitors because a) I have enough and b) they do
    take up space. However, it might be worth describing them (colour,
    size etc) for folks not familiar with the names, part numbers etc.


  13. Re: Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas

    In article ,
    helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply) writes:
    > In article <5ilk49F3p6tlgU1@mid.individual.net>, bill@cs.uofs.edu (Bill
    > Gunshannon) writes:
    >
    >> Put nospam@yrl.co.uk in your editor.
    >> type fsnospam[ESC]elliott[ESC][ESC]

    > ^^^^
    > At the TECO prompt.


    Well, I did say "in your editor" and we were talking about TECO. :-)

    bill


    --
    Bill Gunshannon | de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n. Three wolves
    bill@cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  14. Re: Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas

    In article , Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to
    reply wrote:

    > In article <170820071419444158%nospam@yrl.co.uk>, Elliott Roper
    > writes:
    >
    > > I'm using emacs on OS X now, I'm ashamed to relate.
    > > It is bit verbose, and the syntax colouring is a bit girly, but it has
    > > the same unforgiving nature that you grow to love in teco. ;-)

    >
    > The best thing about Emacs is the EDT emulation!

    SHUDDER!!
    The best thing about emacs was that it was originally a set of teco
    macros (for MIT teco, not DEC teco)
    >
    > > Translating the e-mail addy is a bit of a waste now. Almost all the
    > > good stuff is gone. I have three semi-broken Alpha 4/100's , one
    > > DECServer 200, 2 VLCs, and a broken Alpha 3000. Oh, and a pile of CRT
    > > monitors that is not getting too much attention.

    >
    > I didn't look at the monitors because a) I have enough and b) they do
    > take up space. However, it might be worth describing them (colour,
    > size etc) for folks not familiar with the names, part numbers etc.


    Thanks for your advice Phillip. Most of the kit has found good homes.

    The remaining monitors are in unknown condition and all their cables
    have gone. Amazingly, the VT320's and 420's were in great demand. I
    have three 420's left, all the others are colour CRTs VRT17-HA stylee,
    one or two of the older ones, but I think at least one is busted.

    --
    To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
    PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248

  15. Re: Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas

    Elliott Roper wrote:

    > In article <5ilk49F3p6tlgU1@mid.individual.net>, Bill Gunshannon
    > wrote:
    >
    > > In article <1187353419.635280.280010@r34g2000hsd.googlegroups. com>,
    > > AEF writes:
    > > > On Aug 13, 2:43 pm, hel...@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip
    > > > Helbig--- remove CLOTHES to reply) wrote:
    > > >> In article <130820070946381392%nos...@yrl.co.uk>, Elliott Roper
    > > > [...]
    > > > >
    > > >> > To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
    > > > >
    > > >> I think requiring potential takers to know Teco is taking things

    > > a bit >> too far, though! In case anyone can't follow the above,
    > > it's a Teco >> command and the "$" is what the terminal shows when
    > > escape (CTRL-[) is >> entered; put the munged address into a file
    > > and fire up edit/teco on it!
    > > >
    > > > I give up. Please tell me how to use TECO to demunge the secret
    > > > code. I put it in a file, ran EDIT/TECO, and nothing. Typed it
    > > > in to the * as a command, nothing.
    > > >
    > > > Please give a clear, detailed answer.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks!

    > >
    > > Put nospam@yrl.co.uk in your editor.
    > > type fsnospam[ESC]elliott[ESC][ESC]
    > >
    > > fs = find/substitute
    > > [ESC] the escape key is the command key separating the two strings
    > > and a double [ESC] is the execute key.
    > >
    > > Of course, you should be able to see what it does without doing
    > > anything. It is a simple text substitution.

    >
    > Indeed! I guess that's why I figgered it was too easy a "good home"
    > test.
    >
    > >
    > > bill
    > > (Who stopped using TECO in the PDP-11 days before the first VAX saw
    > > the light of day!!)

    >
    > It's the same reason I kept on using teco. It was the one editor
    > common to Tops-10 OS/8 RSX and VMS.
    >
    > I'm using emacs on OS X now, I'm ashamed to relate.
    > It is bit verbose, and the syntax colouring is a bit girly, but it has
    > the same unforgiving nature that you grow to love in teco. ;-)
    >
    > Translating the e-mail addy is a bit of a waste now. Almost all the
    > good stuff is gone. I have three semi-broken Alpha 4/100's , one
    > DECServer 200, 2 VLCs, and a broken Alpha 3000. Oh, and a pile of CRT
    > monitors that is not getting too much attention.


    Cursing the fact that you didn't announce this in June while I was back
    in the UK enjoying a break in the country's wettest June ever Or did
    you? I was also making the newsreader move from OS/2 to (sorry to
    admit) Windows and missed lots of stuff. (Some very sad).

    --
    Cheers - Dave

  16. Re: Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas

    In article <5inn4tF3q4kqpU1@mid.individual.net>, dave weatherall
    wrote:

    > Elliott Roper wrote:
    >


    > > Translating the e-mail addy is a bit of a waste now. Almost all the
    > > good stuff is gone. I have three semi-broken Alpha 4/100's , one
    > > DECServer 200, 2 VLCs, and a broken Alpha 3000. Oh, and a pile of CRT
    > > monitors that is not getting too much attention.

    >
    > Cursing the fact that you didn't announce this in June while I was back
    > in the UK enjoying a break in the country's wettest June ever Or did
    > you? I was also making the newsreader move from OS/2 to (sorry to
    > admit) Windows and missed lots of stuff. (Some very sad).


    No, it was Phillip Helbig while visiting from Germany who came to grab
    some long promised bits who convinced me I could easily do better than
    sending the rest to the tip.
    I should have made a cleaner break with it all three years ago. It took
    me that long to realise I'd never get it all working again, I'm so
    pleased that nearly all of it has found a good home.

    --
    To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
    PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248

  17. Re: Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas

    On 08/18/07 02:58, dave weatherall wrote:
    [snip]
    > you? I was also making the newsreader move from OS/2 to (sorry to
    > admit) Windows and missed lots of stuff. (Some very sad).


    Shame on you for not moving to Linux. You'd be happier.

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA

    Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day.
    Hit him with a fish, and he goes away for good!

  18. Linux Happiness (was:Re: Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations...

    In article <2lExi.51796$GO6.3972@newsfe21.lga>, Ron Johnson wrote:
    >On 08/18/07 02:58, dave weatherall wrote:
    >[snip]
    >> you? I was also making the newsreader move from OS/2 to (sorry to
    >> admit) Windows and missed lots of stuff. (Some very sad).

    >
    >Shame on you for not moving to Linux. You'd be happier.


    In general, I'm happier with Linux than with Windows on my laptop (sorry, Bill
    G., but wireless network "support" for *BSD is chancy - otherwise, I'd be there
    with my laptop :-))

    That being said, I'd like to explore running some kind of "emulator" for
    Windows under Linux. My original attempt at Vmware was less than successful
    :-).

    Any suggestions?
    [...]

  19. Re: Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas

    Elliott Roper wrote:

    > In article <5inn4tF3q4kqpU1@mid.individual.net>, dave weatherall
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Elliott Roper wrote:
    > >

    >
    > > > Translating the e-mail addy is a bit of a waste now. Almost all
    > > > the good stuff is gone. I have three semi-broken Alpha 4/100's ,
    > > > one DECServer 200, 2 VLCs, and a broken Alpha 3000. Oh, and a
    > > > pile of CRT monitors that is not getting too much attention.

    > >
    > > Cursing the fact that you didn't announce this in June while I was
    > > back in the UK enjoying a break in the country's wettest June ever
    > > Or did you? I was also making the newsreader move from OS/2 to
    > > (sorry to admit) Windows and missed lots of stuff. (Some very sad).

    >
    > No, it was Phillip Helbig while visiting from Germany who came to grab
    > some long promised bits who convinced me I could easily do better than
    > sending the rest to the tip.
    > I should have made a cleaner break with it all three years ago. It
    > took me that long to realise I'd never get it all working again, I'm
    > so pleased that nearly all of it has found a good home.


    I know the probem with time and kit.

    I'm pleased the kit found good homes.

    --
    Cheers - Dave

  20. Re: Free to good home. Microvaxes, Vaxstations, Alphas

    Ron Johnson wrote:

    > On 08/18/07 02:58, dave weatherall wrote:
    > [snip]
    > > you? I was also making the newsreader move from OS/2 to (sorry to
    > > admit) Windows and missed lots of stuff. (Some very sad).

    >
    > Shame on you for not moving to Linux. You'd be happier.


    I did consider it Ron. I even considered OS/2 in a VM but I was moving
    the machine it was on back to the UK and didn't have so much time to
    plan it. Might still do so. I run my Simh VAX on DEBIAN when I have the
    time (a truly valuable commodity).

    --
    Cheers - Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast