OpenVMS 8.3 Standalone backup error - VMS

This is a discussion on OpenVMS 8.3 Standalone backup error - VMS ; Hi, I'm trying to do a standalone backup by booting off the OpenVMS 8.3 CD and backing up from drive DKA0: to DKA100: I get the following error: $$$ backup/image/verify dka0: dka100: %BACKUP-F-PARSE, error opening DKA0:[SYSEXE].; -RMS-E-DNR, device not ready, ...

  1. OpenVMS 8.3 Standalone backup error

    Hi,

    I'm trying to do a standalone backup by booting off the OpenVMS 8.3 CD
    and backing up from drive DKA0: to DKA100:

    I get the following error:

    $$$ backup/image/verify dka0: dka100:
    %BACKUP-F-PARSE, error opening DKA0:[SYSEXE].;
    -RMS-E-DNR, device not ready, not mounted, or unavailable
    $$$

    Relevant drives are:

    Device Device Error Volume Free
    Trans Mnt
    Name Status Count Label Blocks
    Count Cnt
    DKA0: Online 0
    DKA100: Online 0
    DKA400: Mounted wrtlck 0 ALPHA083
    7965 81 1

    This is on a DEC 3000/600 AXP, recently upgraded to 128 MB RAM

    Thanks for the help, Mark.

  2. Re: OpenVMS 8.3 Standalone backup error

    In article <1186912616.102609.86840@b79g2000hse.googlegroups.c om>,
    urbancamo wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to do a standalone backup by booting off the OpenVMS 8.3 CD
    > and backing up from drive DKA0: to DKA100:
    >
    > I get the following error:
    >
    > $$$ backup/image/verify dka0: dka100:
    > %BACKUP-F-PARSE, error opening DKA0:[SYSEXE].;
    > -RMS-E-DNR, device not ready, not mounted, or unavailable
    > $$$
    >
    > Relevant drives are:
    >
    > Device Device Error Volume Free
    > Trans Mnt
    > Name Status Count Label Blocks
    > Count Cnt
    > DKA0: Online 0
    > DKA100: Online 0
    > DKA400: Mounted wrtlck 0 ALPHA083
    > 7965 81 1
    >
    > This is on a DEC 3000/600 AXP, recently upgraded to 128 MB RAM

    You need to mount both disks first. For an image backup, the target must
    be mounted /FOREIGN:

    $$$ mount dka0: /over=id
    $$$ mount dka100: /foreign
    $$$ backup/image/verify dka0: dka100:

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  3. Re: OpenVMS 8.3 Standalone backup error

    urbancamo wrote:
    > I'm trying to do a standalone backup by booting off the OpenVMS 8.3 CD
    > and backing up from drive DKA0: to DKA100:
    >
    > I get the following error:
    >
    > $$$ backup/image/verify dka0: dka100:
    > %BACKUP-F-PARSE, error opening DKA0:[SYSEXE].;
    > -RMS-E-DNR, device not ready, not mounted, or unavailable
    > $$$

    Try

    $$$ mount /override=ident dka0:
    $$$ mount /foreign dka100:
    $$$ backup/image/verify dka0: dka100:

    HTH,
    Martin
    --
    One OS to rule them all | Martin Vorlaender | OpenVMS rules!
    One OS to find them | work: mv@pdv-systeme.de

  4. Re: OpenVMS 8.3 Standalone backup error

    urbancamo wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to do a standalone backup by booting off the OpenVMS 8.3 CD
    > and backing up from drive DKA0: to DKA100:
    >
    > I get the following error:
    >
    > $$$ backup/image/verify dka0: dka100:
    > %BACKUP-F-PARSE, error opening DKA0:[SYSEXE].;
    > -RMS-E-DNR, device not ready, not mounted, or unavailable
    > $$$

    Mark, you need to mount the 2 volumes first.

    $ mount/over=id/nowrite dka0:
    $ mount/foreign dka100:

    Then you do the backup.

  5. Re: OpenVMS 8.3 Standalone backup error

    Isn't comp.os.vms fantastic...

    Thank you for all replying with help - on a Sunday, of all days. I
    really appreciate it. This OS deserves another 25 years of life. I'll
    be buying that IA64 server just to feel like I'm part of such of a
    fantastic group of people.

    I'd really like to give something back, and in time I will...

    Cheers - live life tomorrow like you know you're blessed - it's much
    better than being miserable!

    Mark.

+ Reply to Thread