Re: What VMS does RIGHT! - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: What VMS does RIGHT! - VMS ; From: John Santos > John, you're probably the right person to suggest this to :-) ... > > How about a compiler qualifier that limits the number of errors generated > before it aborts? E.G. /ERROR_LIMIT= You mean like: CC ...

  1. Re: What VMS does RIGHT!

    From: John Santos

    > John, you're probably the right person to suggest this to :-) ...
    >
    > How about a compiler qualifier that limits the number of errors generated
    > before it aborts? E.G. /ERROR_LIMIT=

    You mean like:

    CC

    /ERROR_LIMIT

    /ERROR_LIMIT[=number]
    /NOERROR_LIMIT

    Limits the number of Error-level diagnostic messages that are
    acceptable during program compilation. Compilation terminates when
    the limit (number) is exceeded. /NOERROR_LIMIT specifies that
    there is no limit on error messages.

    The default is /ERROR_LIMIT=30, which specifies that compilation
    terminates after 31 error messages.

    ???

    alp $ cc /version
    HP C V7.1-015 on OpenVMS Alpha V7.3-2

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: What VMS does RIGHT!

    LOL!!!

    Steven M. Schweda wrote:
    > From: John Santos
    >
    >>John, you're probably the right person to suggest this to :-) ...
    >>
    >>How about a compiler qualifier that limits the number of errors generated
    >>before it aborts? E.G. /ERROR_LIMIT=

    > You mean like:
    >
    > CC
    >
    > /ERROR_LIMIT
    >
    > /ERROR_LIMIT[=number]
    > /NOERROR_LIMIT
    >
    > Limits the number of Error-level diagnostic messages that are
    > acceptable during program compilation. Compilation terminates when
    > the limit (number) is exceeded. /NOERROR_LIMIT specifies that
    > there is no limit on error messages.
    >
    > The default is /ERROR_LIMIT=30, which specifies that compilation
    > terminates after 31 error messages.
    >
    > ???

    I looked at HELP BASIC before posting just to make sure I wasn't
    missing something that had been implemented years ago, but didn't
    bother to look at C!

    Since my proposed syntax was exactly the same as what C actually
    does, it was probably lurking in the back of my brain somewhere.
    I'm sure I must have read the help at some point. :-) :-) :-)

    It's probably way too late to claim independent discovery :-(

    > alp $ cc /version
    > HP C V7.1-015 on OpenVMS Alpha V7.3-2

    So okay, let's start over....

    Hey, John Reagan! How ya doin'? Could you please implement C's
    "/ERROR_LIMIT" qualifier in other languages? Thanks in advance.

    --
    John Santos
    Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.

  3. Re: What VMS does RIGHT!

    John Santos wrote:

    > LOL!!!
    >
    > Steven M. Schweda wrote:
    >
    >> From: John Santos
    >>
    >>> John, you're probably the right person to suggest this to :-) ...
    >>>
    >>> How about a compiler qualifier that limits the number of errors
    >>> generated
    >>> before it aborts? E.G. /ERROR_LIMIT=

    >> You mean like:
    >>
    >> CC
    >>
    >> /ERROR_LIMIT
    >>
    >> /ERROR_LIMIT[=number]
    >> /NOERROR_LIMIT
    >>
    >> Limits the number of Error-level diagnostic messages that are
    >> acceptable during program compilation. Compilation terminates when
    >> the limit (number) is exceeded. /NOERROR_LIMIT specifies that
    >> there is no limit on error messages.
    >>
    >> The default is /ERROR_LIMIT=30, which specifies that compilation
    >> terminates after 31 error messages.
    >>
    >> ???
    >>

    > I looked at HELP BASIC before posting just to make sure I wasn't
    > missing something that had been implemented years ago, but didn't
    > bother to look at C!
    >
    > Since my proposed syntax was exactly the same as what C actually
    > does, it was probably lurking in the back of my brain somewhere.
    > I'm sure I must have read the help at some point. :-) :-) :-)

    I think it's probably just familiarity with VMS/DCL "style". If you
    know VMS and want your compiler to be able to give up after a certain
    number of errors, /ERROR_LIMIT=N is the obvious way to do it. This is
    one of VMS's strong points; if you are looking for some capability, it's
    not too hard to guess what they called it!

    Contrast it with Unix; if you want what awk does, you'll never guess
    what they called it and if you find the awk executable, you'll never
    guess what it does!

  4. Re: What VMS does RIGHT!

    In article <46BBB491.1060008@comcast.net>, "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:

    > Contrast it with Unix; if you want what awk does, you'll never guess
    > what they called it and if you find the awk executable, you'll never
    > guess what it does!

    Wrong, I'll guess right now!

    "awk" does misspelled flying around the arctic.

+ Reply to Thread