DFG (Defrag) - OpenVMS - VMS

This is a discussion on DFG (Defrag) - OpenVMS - VMS ; Back in 2005, there was a thread about DFG with this title in which David Webb wrote: > You probably need to uncomment and increase the value (probably quite > substantially) for > > DFG$PGFLQUOTA > and possibly for DFG$WSDEFAULT, ...

  1. DFG (Defrag) - OpenVMS

    David Webb wrote:

    > You probably need to uncomment and increase the value (probably quite
    > substantially) for
    >
    > DFG$PGFLQUOTA

    > and possibly for DFG$WSDEFAULT, DFGWSQUOTA, DFG$WSEXTENT

    > and then rerun @sys$startup:dfg$startup

    > My DFG$PGFLQUOTA is set to 1500000 - but yours may need to be bigger depending
    > upon the sizes of your disks.

    Doesn't this imply that the system parameter VIRTUALPAGECNT must be at
    least this large as well? My understanding is that VIRTUALPAGECNT is
    the maximum address space of any process in VMS and that the pagefile
    quota controls the virtual address space of a particular process.
    --
    Brian Tillman

  2. Re: DFG (Defrag) - OpenVMS

    On Aug 9, 11:24 am, Lord Derigan wrote:
    > Back in 2005, there was a thread about DFG with this title in which
    >
    > David Webb wrote:
    > > You probably need to uncomment and increase the value (probably quite
    > > substantially) for

    > > DFG$PGFLQUOTA
    > > and possibly for DFG$WSDEFAULT, DFGWSQUOTA, DFG$WSEXTENT
    > > and then rerun @sys$startup:dfg$startup
    > > My DFG$PGFLQUOTA is set to 1500000 - but yours may need to be bigger depending
    > > upon the sizes of your disks.

    > Doesn't this imply that the system parameter VIRTUALPAGECNT must be at
    > least this large as well? My understanding is that VIRTUALPAGECNT is
    > the maximum address space of any process in VMS and that the pagefile
    > quota controls the virtual address space of a particular process.
    > --
    > Brian Tillman

    Hello,

    I believe that VIRTUALPAGECNT is now obsolete on the newer versions of
    OpenVMS.

    Regards,
    Daryl Jones

  3. Re: DFG (Defrag) - OpenVMS

    wrote in message
    news:1186684073.276743.6200@e16g2000pri.googlegrou ps.com...

    > I believe that VIRTUALPAGECNT is now obsolete on the newer versions of
    > OpenVMS.

    I'm running the newest version of VMS for the architecture: VMS V7.3 on a
    VAX.
    --
    Brian Tillman

  4. Re: DFG (Defrag) - OpenVMS

    In article <6sLui.14$Qd6.12@nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com>, "Brian Tillman" writes:
    > wrote in message
    > news:1186684073.276743.6200@e16g2000pri.googlegrou ps.com...
    >
    >> I believe that VIRTUALPAGECNT is now obsolete on the newer versions of
    >> OpenVMS.

    > I'm running the newest version of VMS for the architecture: VMS V7.3 on a
    > VAX.

    While VIRTUALPAGECNT may have been obsolete by V7.3, that was a 64-bit
    only change. It is exactly the sort of thing that is handled quite
    differently on VAX and 64-bit.

  5. Re: DFG (Defrag) - OpenVMS

    "Larry Kilgallen" wrote in message

    > While VIRTUALPAGECNT may have been obsolete by V7.3, that was a 64-bit
    > only change. It is exactly the sort of thing that is handled quite
    > differently on VAX and 64-bit.

    Exactly my point, Larry, but I should have been specificin the original
    post.
    --
    Brian Tillman

  6. Re: DFG (Defrag) - OpenVMS

    In article <1186683850.452613.188820@i38g2000prf.googlegroups. com>, Lord Derigan writes:
    >Back in 2005, there was a thread about DFG with this title in which
    >David Webb wrote:
    >
    >> You probably need to uncomment and increase the value (probably quite
    >> substantially) for
    >>
    >> DFG$PGFLQUOTA

    >> and possibly for DFG$WSDEFAULT, DFGWSQUOTA, DFG$WSEXTENT

    >> and then rerun @sys$startup:dfg$startup

    >> My DFG$PGFLQUOTA is set to 1500000 - but yours may need to be bigger depending
    >> upon the sizes of your disks.

    >Doesn't this imply that the system parameter VIRTUALPAGECNT must be at
    >least this large as well? My understanding is that VIRTUALPAGECNT is
    >the maximum address space of any process in VMS and that the pagefile
    >quota controls the virtual address space of a particular process.

    Probably for VAX systems but not for Alpha (and IA64 ?) since virtualpagecnt
    was obsoleted on Alpha with VMS 7.0.

    see

    $ mcr sysgen
    SYSGEN> HELP SYS_PAR VIRTUALPAGECNT

    Sys_Parameters

    VIRTUALPAGECNT

    ..
    ..
    ..
    Starting with OpenVMS Version 7.0, VIRTUALPAGECNT has been an
    obsolete parameter on Alpha systems. Note, however, that the
    parameter remains in existence on Alpha and I64 systems for
    compatibility purposes and has a default and maximum value of
    %X7FFFFFFF. SYSBOOT and AUTOGEN enforce this default value.

    David Webb
    Security team leader
    CCSS
    Middlesex University