Re: Easy DCL question PURGE vs. DELETE - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Easy DCL question PURGE vs. DELETE - VMS ; "Richard B. Gilbert" wrote on 08/08/2007 02:38:13 PM: > norm.raphael@metso.com wrote: > > > > > > Doug Phillips wrote on 08/08/2007 12:10:27 PM: > > > > > >>On Aug 7, 3:53 pm, norm.raph...@metso.com wrote: > >> > >>>Doug ...

  1. Re: Easy DCL question PURGE vs. DELETE

    "Richard B. Gilbert" wrote on 08/08/2007 02:38:13
    PM:

    > norm.raphael@metso.com wrote:
    > >

    > > Doug Phillips wrote on 08/08/2007 12:10:27 PM:

    > >>Makes you wonder why the HP folks have been so silent on this (and not
    > >>just here.) Seems like *someone* in-the-know would explain it if there
    > >>is an explanation. Do you suppose there's been just such a debate as
    > >>this going on internally? Is there a purge-gate cover-up conspiracy?
    > >>(and JF's door opens.) Or, does no one in HP see it as an issue
    > >>worth discussing?
    > >>

    > > On fait ce q'on peut.
    > >

    > As M once remarked, "This is not the Berlitz School of Languages".
    > Would you be so kind as to provide a "crib" for the monolingual among us?

    Monolingual and semi-illiterate.

    Quote from Master of the Patna (IIRC) in Joseph Conrad's "Lord Jim"
    meaning "One does what one is able to do." or, loosely, "You do your best."

    (This from English, not French, literature. The captain happened to speak
    French.)

  2. Re: Easy DCL question PURGE vs. DELETE

    norm.raphael@metso.com wrote:

    > "Richard B. Gilbert" wrote on 08/08/2007 02:38:13
    > PM:
    >

    >>norm.raphael@metso.com wrote:

    >>>On fait ce q'on peut.
    >>>

    >>As M once remarked, "This is not the Berlitz School of Languages".
    >>Would you be so kind as to provide a "crib" for the monolingual among us?
    >>

    > Monolingual and semi-illiterate.
    >
    > Quote from Master of the Patna (IIRC) in Joseph Conrad's "Lord Jim"
    > meaning "One does what one is able to do." or, loosely, "You do your best."
    >
    > (This from English, not French, literature. The captain happened to speak
    > French.)

    That's one that I was never required to read. The "literature" that I
    was required to read was mostly so deadly dull that I was never moved to
    read any non-required literature.

    But I not only remember what M said, I also remember who he said it to!
    Hint: it was not James Bond!

    And actually I have a slight acquaintance with Spanish, German,
    Japanese, and Turkish though I am not fluent in any of them.

    For extra credit, what was M's full name and title?

  3. Re: Easy DCL question PURGE vs. DELETE

    In article ,
    norm.raphael@metso.com writes:

    > "Richard B. Gilbert" wrote on 08/08/2007 02:38:13
    > PM:
    >
    >> norm.raphael@metso.com wrote:

    >> > On fait ce q'on peut.
    >> >

    >> As M once remarked, "This is not the Berlitz School of Languages".
    >> Would you be so kind as to provide a "crib" for the monolingual among us?
    >>

    > Monolingual and semi-illiterate.
    >
    > Quote from Master of the Patna (IIRC) in Joseph Conrad's "Lord Jim"
    > meaning "One does what one is able to do." or, loosely, "You do your best."
    >
    > (This from English, not French, literature. The captain happened to speak
    > French.)

    Q; What do you call a person who speaks three languages?
    A: Tri-lingual.

    Q; What do you call a person who speaks two languages?
    A: Bi-lingual.

    Q; What do you call a person who only speaks one language?
    A: American.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include