Re: Rexx for OpenVMS - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Rexx for OpenVMS - VMS ; Tom Linden wrote: > Is this available? I would just love that as well. And if you google for "OpenVMS REXX" there are in fact hits. Only there seem to be no download available :-( . Martin -- mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net Ada ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Re: Rexx for OpenVMS

  1. Re: Rexx for OpenVMS

    Tom Linden wrote:

    > Is this available?


    I would just love that as well. And if you google for "OpenVMS REXX" there
    are in fact hits. Only there seem to be no download available :-( .

    Martin
    --
    mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
    Ada programming at: http://ada.krischik.com

  2. RE: Rexx for OpenVMS

    > -----Original Message-----
    > From: krischik@users.sourceforge.net
    > [mailto:krischik@users.sourceforge.net]
    > Sent: August 7, 2007 2:10 PM
    > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com
    > Subject: Re: Rexx for OpenVMS
    >
    > Tom Linden wrote:
    >
    > > Is this available?

    >
    > I would just love that as well. And if you google for "OpenVMS REXX"
    > there
    > are in fact hits. Only there seem to be no download available :-( .
    >
    > Martin
    > --
    > mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
    > Ada programming at: http://ada.krischik.com


    Try REXX and VMS or Open-VMS .. not sure if this fixes the download problem, but will likely give you more hits.

    :-)

    http://www.planetmvs.com/rexxanywhere/

    http://www.slac.stanford.edu/cgi-wra...rexx90-009.pdf

    other hits as well ..

    Regards


    Kerry Main
    Senior Consultant
    HP Services Canada
    Voice: 613-592-4660
    Fax: 613-591-4477
    kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
    (remove the DOT's and AT)

    OpenVMS - the secure, multi-site OS that just works.





  3. Re: Rexx for OpenVMS

    Tom Linden wrote:

    > On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 11:10:25 -0700,
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Tom Linden wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is this available?

    >>
    >> I would just love that as well. And if you google for "OpenVMS REXX"
    >> there
    >> are in fact hits. Only there seem to be no download available :-( .
    >>
    >> Martin

    >
    > I got following reply from mark Hessling in private mail
    >
    > Hi Tom,
    >
    > I did the port many years ago. I don't have access to a VMS machine
    > anymore so can't tell you if it still compiles. But here are the contents
    > of the README.VMS that comes with Regina:
    >
    > This is a preliminary version of Regina for OpenVMS. It has been tested
    > on OpenVMS 6.1, 6.2 on VAX and AXP systems.
    >
    > To build Regina, you need MMK. This can be obtained from:
    > ftp://ftp.wku.edu/
    >
    > Run the build.com DCL script to compile and link Regina. This is a
    > front-end to the MMK description file; descrip.mms.
    >
    > Things that don't work:
    >
    > - Stream BIF when the target is a directory. This is due to the C runtime
    > funtion stat() not behaving the same as on other operating systems.
    > - Time('O') does not work. The C runtime function gmtime() does not
    > return valid values.
    > - Uname BIF doesn't return anything.
    > - Execution of external commands crash Regina.


    Sad, as it is the most interesting feature of the "REstructured eXtended
    eXecutor". An executor which can't execute anthing is pretty useless.

    It it worked REXX would have been a cool extension to DCL as Rexx has this
    unique feature of passing on unused strings return values to the command
    prompt or the editor - or whereever Rexx was embedded into.

    This is what makes Rexx so usefull: Rexx is designed to be embedded into
    another tool.

    > Same deal with THE. It ported some years ago, but unsure of its current
    > status.
    >
    > For both packages you have to build it yourself from the source.


    Martin
    --
    mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
    Ada programming at: http://ada.krischik.com

  4. Re: Rexx for OpenVMS

    On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 10:08:12 -0700, wrote:

    > It it worked REXX would have been a cool extension to DCL as Rexx has
    > this
    > unique feature of passing on unused strings return values to the command
    > prompt or the editor - or whereever Rexx was embedded into.


    Martin, do let us know when you have a working binary:-)

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  5. Re: Rexx for OpenVMS

    In <8730409.ys5V6uXsJ9@linux1.krischik.com>, on 08/08/2007
    at 07:08 PM, krischik@users.sourceforge.net said:

    >It it worked REXX would have been a cool extension to DCL as Rexx has
    >this unique feature of passing on unused strings return values to the
    >command prompt or the editor - or whereever Rexx was embedded into.


    Actually, it does something even more useful; it passes the value of
    an expression to the current environment, which might not be constant
    within the REXX code. I've seen plenty of REXX code that sends
    commands to two or more different environments within a few lines.

    I agree that without the ability REXX would be a far weaker language
    for scripting.

    --
    Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, SysProg and JOAT

    Unsolicited bulk E-mail subject to legal action. I reserve the
    right to publicly post or ridicule any abusive E-mail. Reply to
    domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me. Do not
    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org


  6. Re: Rexx for OpenVMS

    In article <8730409.ys5V6uXsJ9@linux1.krischik.com>,
    krischik@users.sourceforge.net wrote:

    > > I got following reply from mark Hessling in private mail
    > >
    > > Hi Tom,
    > >
    > > I did the port many years ago. I don't have access to a VMS machine
    > > anymore so can't tell you if it still compiles. But here are the contents
    > > of the README.VMS that comes with Regina:
    > >
    > > This is a preliminary version of Regina for OpenVMS. It has been tested
    > > on OpenVMS 6.1, 6.2 on VAX and AXP systems.


    Those are something like 12-to-14-year-old releases of OpenVMS. If
    someone has old Rexx binaries lying around, they probably still work
    fine, but this news is too old to be of much value in assessing current
    build prospects.

    > > To build Regina, you need MMK. This can be obtained from:
    > > ftp://ftp.wku.edu/


    Well, now you'd most likely be able to find it at:

    http://vms.process.com/scripts/files...leserv.com?MMK


    > > Run the build.com DCL script to compile and link Regina. This is a
    > > front-end to the MMK description file; descrip.mms.
    > >
    > > Things that don't work:
    > >
    > > - Stream BIF when the target is a directory. This is due to the C runtime
    > > funtion stat() not behaving the same as on other operating systems.


    That's not a highly specific description, but there have been changes
    in stat() including the fact that it has been possible for some time
    now to define the use of a POSIX-compliant stat structure at compile
    time (/define=_USE_STD_STAT).

    > > - Time('O') does not work. The C runtime function gmtime() does not
    > > return valid values.


    ISTR there was significant work done with gmtime() in the v7.x era.
    We're now well into the v8.x era, so whatever the problem there was has
    very likely long since been fixed.

    > > - Uname BIF doesn't return anything.


    I have no idea what that means or what underlying features it depends
    on.

    > > - Execution of external commands crash Regina.


    Since there are lots of other applications that can execute external
    commands on OpenVMS, it sounds like something that could be made to
    work if someone were willing to look into it.

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  7. Re: Rexx for OpenVMS

    Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz wrote:

    > In <8730409.ys5V6uXsJ9@linux1.krischik.com>, on 08/08/2007
    > at 07:08 PM, krischik@users.sourceforge.net said:
    >
    >>It it worked REXX would have been a cool extension to DCL as Rexx has
    >>this unique feature of passing on unused strings return values to the
    >>command prompt or the editor - or whereever Rexx was embedded into.

    >
    > Actually, it does something even more useful; it passes the value of
    > an expression to the current environment, which might not be constant
    > within the REXX code. I've seen plenty of REXX code that sends
    > commands to two or more different environments within a few lines.


    I know! But your wording explains much nicer :-).

    > I agree that without the ability REXX would be a far weaker language
    > for scripting.


    Indeed! I tried Python and Ruby and in both cases I missed that feature.
    Rexx it just designed to work in a team with some other (usually simpler)
    specialised language.

    Martin
    --
    mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
    Ada programming at: http://ada.krischik.com

+ Reply to Thread