TPU on MAC OS-X ? - VMS

This is a discussion on TPU on MAC OS-X ? - VMS ; In article , Martin Krischik wrote: > > I never got Eve or LsEdit to display Black on Bright White - at least not > with the DecWindows interface. Both use some ugly green from the Motif > colour scheme. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: TPU on MAC OS-X ?

    In article <2721714.3M88bkd2e5@linux1.krischik.com>,
    Martin Krischik wrote:

    > I never got Eve or LsEdit to display Black on Bright White - at least not
    > with the DecWindows interface. Both use some ugly green from the Motif
    > colour scheme.

    Are you using traditional DECwindows or CDE? I did manage once to get
    block on white for DECTerm sessions in CDE, though by trial and error
    using the color sliders.

    > Apart from that: those in our team who want the named features either use
    > Vim or Ms-Windows UltraEdit (copying the sources back and forth from VMS).

    Trust me. If you had been using either EDIT/EDT or TPU with the EDT
    keypad for as long as many of us here have, you'd be transferring
    Windows files to a VMS system to do your editing, not the other way
    around! (And yes, I have used UltraEdit on Windows, though I preferred a
    similar offering called TextPad myself.)

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  2. Re: TPU on MAC OS-X ?

    P. Sture wrote:

    > In article <2721714.3M88bkd2e5@linux1.krischik.com>,
    > Martin Krischik wrote:
    >

    >> I never got Eve or LsEdit to display Black on Bright White - at least not
    >> with the DecWindows interface. Both use some ugly green from the Motif
    >> colour scheme.

    > Are you using traditional DECwindows or CDE? I did manage once to get
    > block on white for DECTerm sessions in CDE, though by trial and error
    > using the color sliders.

    Getting DecTerm to display black in bright white is not at all difficult. It
    mostly works the same way you get Xterm to display black in bright white.
    Just the name for the configuration file is different (DecW$DecTerminal.dat
    or so). Or you use the master configuration file DecW$XDefaults.Dat.

    What I meant is "SPAWN /NoWait Eve /Interface=DecWindows" or "SPAWN /NoWait
    LSEdit /Interface=DecWindows". As an old time user you might consider it
    strange but for learning you way around a new Editor drop down menu are
    indeed very helpfull.

    >> Apart from that: those in our team who want the named features either use
    >> Vim or Ms-Windows UltraEdit (copying the sources back and forth from
    >> VMS).

    > Trust me. If you had been using either EDIT/EDT or TPU with the EDT
    > keypad for as long as many of us here have, you'd be transferring
    > Windows files to a VMS system to do your editing, not the other way
    > around! (And yes, I have used UltraEdit on Windows, though I preferred a
    > similar offering called TextPad myself.)

    I believe you. Sure for an old time user both editors must be great as they
    come with a propper scripting language and after 20 years or so you must
    have a few 1000 lines of TPU code to make your live easy.

    Martin
    --
    mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

  3. Re: TPU on MAC OS-X ?

    In article <131899468.539oBBZa67@linux1.krischik.com>,
    Martin Krischik wrote:

    > P. Sture wrote:
    >
    > > In article <2721714.3M88bkd2e5@linux1.krischik.com>,
    > > Martin Krischik wrote:

    > Getting DecTerm to display black in bright white is not at all difficult. It
    > mostly works the same way you get Xterm to display black in bright white.
    > Just the name for the configuration file is different (DecW$DecTerminal.dat
    > or so). Or you use the master configuration file DecW$XDefaults.Dat.

    Since it's a user preference, you might want to have lines like the
    following in your user-specific file rather than assuming everyone
    wants the same system-wide setting:

    $ search sys$login:decw$terminal_default.dat foreground,background
    DECW$TERMINAL.main.terminal.background: White
    DECW$TERMINAL.main.terminal.foreground: Black

    > What I meant is "SPAWN /NoWait Eve /Interface=DecWindows" or "SPAWN /NoWait
    > LSEdit /Interface=DecWindows". As an old time user you might consider it
    > strange but for learning you way around a new Editor drop down menu are
    > indeed very helpfull.

    I couldn't find this documented anywhere, but if you want black text on
    a white background in the Motif version of EVE/TPU, do the following:

    $ copy/log sys$library:eve.dat sys$login:

    Edit the eve.dat in your login directory and add the following two
    lines:

    Tpu*foreground: black
    Tpu*background: white

    Add the following line to your login.com:

    $ DEFINE TPU$DEFAULTS SYS$LOGIN:EVE.DAT

    Run your login.com or log out and log back in again. The next time you
    do EDIT/DISPLAY=M, you'll see your black text on a white background.

    > >> Apart from that: those in our team who want the named features either use
    > >> Vim or Ms-Windows UltraEdit (copying the sources back and forth from
    > >> VMS).

    You may want to look into NetBeans or Distributed NetBeans if the goal
    is to edit OpenVMS files in an environment that has all the pointy,
    clicky, plugin-aware. color-enabled features and that runs on OpenVMS or
    other platforms or (in the case of the distributed version) OpenVMS in
    conjunction with other platforms:

    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/pr.../ips/netbeans/

    There is also jEdit. Not sure about Eclipse, but there are likely
    other options if you go looking for them.

    > > Trust me. If you had been using either EDIT/EDT or TPU with the EDT
    > > keypad for as long as many of us here have, you'd be transferring
    > > Windows files to a VMS system to do your editing, not the other way
    > > around!

    HP's NetBeans project has a widget they call the old-timers' plug-in --
    no wait, they actually call it the "EDT Editor Keybindings Module":

    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/pr...dules.html#edt

    I've never used it, but it's supposed to work anywhere you run NetBeans
    (i.e., not just on OpenVMS).

  4. Re: TPU on MAC OS-X ?

    Craig A. Berry schrieb:

    >> What I meant is "SPAWN /NoWait Eve /Interface=DecWindows" or "SPAWN /NoWait
    >> LSEdit /Interface=DecWindows". As an old time user you might consider it
    >> strange but for learning you way around a new Editor drop down menu are
    >> indeed very helpfull.

    > I couldn't find this documented anywhere, but if you want black text on
    > a white background in the Motif version of EVE/TPU, do the following:

    > $ copy/log sys$library:eve.dat sys$login:
    >
    > Edit the eve.dat in your login directory and add the following two
    > lines:
    >
    > Tpu*foreground: black
    > Tpu*background: white
    >
    > Add the following line to your login.com:
    >
    > $ DEFINE TPU$DEFAULTS SYS$LOGIN:EVE.DAT
    >
    > Run your login.com or log out and log back in again. The next time you
    > do EDIT/DISPLAY=M, you'll see your black text on a white background.

    Thanks, I added it to our company internal Wiki - might be helpfull.

    Martin

    --
    mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

  5. Re: TPU on MAC OS-X ?

    Martin Krischik wrote:

    > P. Sture wrote:
    >
    > > In article <2721714.3M88bkd2e5@linux1.krischik.com>,
    > > Martin Krischik wrote:
    > >

    > >> I never got Eve or LsEdit to display Black on Bright White - at least not
    > >> with the DecWindows interface. Both use some ugly green from the Motif
    > >> colour scheme.

    > > Are you using traditional DECwindows or CDE? I did manage once to get
    > > block on white for DECTerm sessions in CDE, though by trial and error
    > > using the color sliders.

    > Getting DecTerm to display black in bright white is not at all difficult. It
    > mostly works the same way you get Xterm to display black in bright white.
    > Just the name for the configuration file is different (DecW$DecTerminal.dat
    > or so). Or you use the master configuration file DecW$XDefaults.Dat.
    >
    > What I meant is "SPAWN /NoWait Eve /Interface=DecWindows" or "SPAWN /NoWait
    > LSEdit /Interface=DecWindows". As an old time user you might consider it
    > strange but for learning you way around a new Editor drop down menu are
    > indeed very helpfull.

    Understood. It can be easy to forget what it is like for a new user.

    > >> Apart from that: those in our team who want the named features either use
    > >> Vim or Ms-Windows UltraEdit (copying the sources back and forth from
    > >> VMS).

    > > Trust me. If you had been using either EDIT/EDT or TPU with the EDT
    > > keypad for as long as many of us here have, you'd be transferring
    > > Windows files to a VMS system to do your editing, not the other way
    > > around! (And yes, I have used UltraEdit on Windows, though I preferred a
    > > similar offering called TextPad myself.)

    > I believe you. Sure for an old time user both editors must be great as they
    > come with a propper scripting language and after 20 years or so you must
    > have a few 1000 lines of TPU code to make your live easy.

    It may surprise you, but I don't have lots of TPU code. I long ago
    decided to keep to just a few key shortcuts. I was doing a lot of
    troubleshooting on customer systems, so made sure I could work on
    vanilla installations.

    Incidentally, the same goes for DCL. A former colleague told me a tale
    of trying to work on a brand new system, and he'd forgotten how to work
    on VMS without his own customizations! His solution was to write an
    assembler program to transfer his stuff across a serial line... :-)

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  6. Re: TPU on MAC OS-X ?

    In article ,
    "Craig A. Berry" wrote:

    > In article <131899468.539oBBZa67@linux1.krischik.com>,
    > Martin Krischik wrote:
    >
    > > P. Sture wrote:
    > >
    > > > In article <2721714.3M88bkd2e5@linux1.krischik.com>,
    > > > Martin Krischik wrote:

    > > Getting DecTerm to display black in bright white is not at all difficult. It
    > > mostly works the same way you get Xterm to display black in bright white.
    > > Just the name for the configuration file is different (DecW$DecTerminal.dat
    > > or so). Or you use the master configuration file DecW$XDefaults.Dat.

    > Since it's a user preference, you might want to have lines like the
    > following in your user-specific file rather than assuming everyone
    > wants the same system-wide setting:
    >
    > $ search sys$login:decw$terminal_default.dat foreground,background
    > DECW$TERMINAL.main.terminal.background: White
    > DECW$TERMINAL.main.terminal.foreground: Black
    >

    > > What I meant is "SPAWN /NoWait Eve /Interface=DecWindows" or "SPAWN /NoWait
    > > LSEdit /Interface=DecWindows". As an old time user you might consider it
    > > strange but for learning you way around a new Editor drop down menu are
    > > indeed very helpfull.

    > I couldn't find this documented anywhere, but if you want black text on
    > a white background in the Motif version of EVE/TPU, do the following:
    >
    > $ copy/log sys$library:eve.dat sys$login:
    >
    > Edit the eve.dat in your login directory and add the following two
    > lines:
    >
    > Tpu*foreground: black
    > Tpu*background: white
    >
    > Add the following line to your login.com:
    >
    > $ DEFINE TPU$DEFAULTS SYS$LOGIN:EVE.DAT
    >
    > Run your login.com or log out and log back in again. The next time you
    > do EDIT/DISPLAY=M, you'll see your black text on a white background.

    > You may want to look into NetBeans or Distributed NetBeans if the goal
    > is to edit OpenVMS files in an environment that has all the pointy,
    > clicky, plugin-aware. color-enabled features and that runs on OpenVMS or
    > other platforms or (in the case of the distributed version) OpenVMS in
    > conjunction with other platforms:
    >
    > http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/pr.../ips/netbeans/
    >
    > There is also jEdit. Not sure about Eclipse, but there are likely
    > other options if you go looking for them.
    >
    > > > Trust me. If you had been using either EDIT/EDT or TPU with the EDT
    > > > keypad for as long as many of us here have, you'd be transferring
    > > > Windows files to a VMS system to do your editing, not the other way
    > > > around!

    > HP's NetBeans project has a widget they call the old-timers' plug-in --
    > no wait, they actually call it the "EDT Editor Keybindings Module":
    >
    > http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/pr...dules.html#edt
    >
    > I've never used it, but it's supposed to work anywhere you run NetBeans
    > (i.e., not just on OpenVMS).

    Thanks for the tips Craig. Much appreciated (in spite of the reference
    to "old-timers" :-) )

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  7. Re: TPU on MAC OS-X ?

    P. Sture schrieb:

    > It may surprise you, but I don't have lots of TPU code. I long ago
    > decided to keep to just a few key shortcuts. I was doing a lot of
    > troubleshooting on customer systems, so made sure I could work on
    > vanilla installations.
    >
    > Incidentally, the same goes for DCL. A former colleague told me a tale
    > of trying to work on a brand new system, and he'd forgotten how to work
    > on VMS without his own customizations! His solution was to write an
    > assembler program to transfer his stuff across a serial line... :-)

    Yes you always have to balance between working faster with good
    customization and been able to work on a vanilla system.

    For me: I just created a "fast installation pack" to get me up an
    running on a new system in no time.

    Martin