Integrity Workstations? - VMS

This is a discussion on Integrity Workstations? - VMS ; Can you get Integrity configured as a workstation with a monitor?...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

  1. Integrity Workstations?

    Can you get Integrity configured as a workstation with a monitor?

  2. Re: Integrity Workstations?

    tadamsmar wrote:
    > Can you get Integrity configured as a workstation with a monitor?

    The RX2660 server is available in an Office Friendly Server (OFS)
    configuration. It support a display of upto 1920x1200 resolution via
    an inbuilt graphics card and VGA port.

    You can order a pedestal kit which consists of two sides, a top and
    bottom which encase the 19" rackmount server enclosure it comes with
    and makes it look like a tower. I'm sure HP sell a variety of TFTs...

    The OFS version is quieter than the standard rackmount version, but I
    believe that it still contains two redundant power supplies. Turn on
    and forget I would have thought.

    I just can't make up my mind whether to get one or not

    Search for 'RX2660' in this group for more information...

    Mark

  3. Re: Integrity Workstations?

    "urbancamo" wrote in message
    news:1186429938.893236.119480@o61g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...

    > tadamsmar wrote:
    >> Can you get Integrity configured as a workstation with a monitor?

    > The RX2660 server is available in an Office Friendly Server (OFS)
    > configuration. It support a display of upto 1920x1200 resolution via
    > an inbuilt graphics card and VGA port.
    >
    > You can order a pedestal kit which consists of two sides, a top and
    > bottom which encase the 19" rackmount server enclosure it comes with
    > and makes it look like a tower. I'm sure HP sell a variety of TFTs...
    >
    > The OFS version is quieter than the standard rackmount version, but I
    > believe that it still contains two redundant power supplies. Turn on
    > and forget I would have thought.
    >
    > I just can't make up my mind whether to get one or not

    Go ahead GET ONE!

    I have a rx2620 and have to wait a while before whining that I need a
    rx2660... so I have to borrow time on someone elses over the network. But
    as we start to support the iLO capabilities - I may be able to finagle one
    ;-)

    FWIW - I have the 1920x1200 LCD screen on my rx2620 system. Nice. But on
    my other system I have two 1280x1024 LCD panels configured using Panaramics.
    If I could just convince someone that I *need* three more of the big panels
    ;-)

  4. Re: Integrity Workstations?

    FredK wrote:

    > Go ahead GET ONE!
    >
    > I have a rx2620 and have to wait a while before whining that I need a
    > rx2660... so I have to borrow time on someone elses over the network. But
    > as we start to support the iLO capabilities - I may be able to finagle one
    > ;-)

    Did you see my post to this group in the 'Linux on Integrity'
    discussion? I need to decide between an integrity and a DL380 which
    would be a dual, quad core xeon system. Clearly performance would be
    much higher.

    > FWIW - I have the 1920x1200 LCD screen on my rx2620 system. Nice. But on
    > my other system I have two 1280x1024 LCD panels configured using Panaramics.
    > If I could just convince someone that I *need* three more of the big panels
    > ;-)

    I have two 19" 1280x1024 panels at work. They were bought when
    anything over 19" was three times the price of two panels.

  5. Re: Integrity Workstations?

    On Aug 6, 3:41 pm, tadamsmar wrote:
    > Can you get Integrity configured as a workstation with a monitor?

    tadamsmar,

    The key is that it is a "small server with a graphics card". Looks,
    tastes, and feels like a workstation, but it is not officially a
    "workstation".

    If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and smells like a duck, it
    is probably a duck.

    - Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

  6. Re: Integrity Workstations?

    On Aug 6, 4:25 pm, Bob Gezelter wrote:
    > On Aug 6, 3:41 pm, tadamsmar wrote:
    >
    > > Can you get Integrity configured as a workstation with a monitor?

    > tadamsmar,
    >
    > The key is that it is a "small server with a graphics card". Looks,
    > tastes, and feels like a workstation, but it is not officially a
    > "workstation".
    >
    > If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and smells like a duck, it
    > is probably a duck.
    >
    > - Bob Gezelter,http://www.rlgsc.com

    Except that generally anything called "server" costs more for software
    and licensing than anything called "workstation"; hardware can be a
    wash due to the expected higher end graphics controller and display.

  7. Re: Integrity Workstations?

    On 6 Aug, 22:25, Bob Gezelter wrote:
    > The key is that it is a "small server with a graphics card". Looks,
    > tastes, and feels like a workstation, but it is not officially a
    > "workstation".
    >
    > If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and smells like a duck, it
    > is probably a duck.

    I'd hardly say it "talks like a duck".

    HP have qualified the AD317A sound card with rx2660 hardware, but the
    work has not been
    done for use with VMS or at least it's not qualified anyway.

    Certainly not a true workstation.

    Alex

  8. Re: Integrity Workstations?

    In article <1186447521.576325.198080@r34g2000hsd.googlegroups. com>,
    "AlexNOSPAMDaniels@themail.co.uk" wrote:

    > On 6 Aug, 22:25, Bob Gezelter wrote:
    > > The key is that it is a "small server with a graphics card". Looks,
    > > tastes, and feels like a workstation, but it is not officially a
    > > "workstation".
    > >
    > > If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and smells like a duck, it
    > > is probably a duck.

    > I'd hardly say it "talks like a duck".
    >
    > HP have qualified the AD317A sound card with rx2660 hardware, but the
    > work has not been
    > done for use with VMS or at least it's not qualified anyway.
    >
    > Certainly not a true workstation.

    VMS products managers have detected almost NO demand for sound support
    on VMS. If there was demand, the work would likely bubble up toward the
    top of the list.

    Maybe there are folks who want sound support, and they are just shy
    about letting the product managers know about it.

    As it is, there are many things that customers are clamoring for WAY
    before sound support.

  9. Re: Integrity Workstations?

    Robert Deininger wrote:
    > VMS products managers have detected almost NO demand for sound support
    > on VMS. If there was demand, the work would likely bubble up toward the
    > top of the list.

    It is pointless at this time to even debate. I will just say
    "LAME EXCUSE"

    Just admit that HP has no intentions of pursuing VMS and be done with
    it. At this point in time, it is absolutely pointless to even try to
    pretend that HP really sees a future in VMS.

    Your excuse is even lamer since Patrick Moreau has stated some time ago
    that lack of sound support on VMS-IA64 would force him to either stay on
    Alpha or move to a different platform, and his applications are pretty
    important. But I guess VMS management only looks at new england
    customers when making decisions on which features to cut next.

  10. Re: Integrity Workstations?

    On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 19:07:19 -0700, JF Mezei
    wrote:

    > Robert Deininger wrote:
    >> VMS products managers have detected almost NO demand for sound support
    >> on VMS. If there was demand, the work would likely bubble up toward
    >> the top of the list.

    > It is pointless at this time to even debate. I will just say
    > "LAME EXCUSE"
    >

    > Just admit that HP has no intentions of pursuing VMS and be done with
    > it. At this point in time, it is absolutely pointless to even try to
    > pretend that HP really sees a future in VMS.
    >

    > Your excuse is even lamer since Patrick Moreau has stated some time ago
    > that lack of sound support on VMS-IA64 would force him to either stay on
    > Alpha or move to a different platform, and his applications are pretty
    > important. But I guess VMS management only looks at new england
    > customers when making decisions on which features to cut next.

    That is wrong, they actually disembowel a chcken

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  11. Re: Integrity Workstations?

    On Aug 6, 8:45 pm, "AlexNOSPAMDani...@themail.co.uk"
    wrote:
    > On 6 Aug, 22:25, Bob Gezelter wrote:
    >
    > > The key is that it is a "small server with a graphics card". Looks,
    > > tastes, and feels like a workstation, but it is not officially a
    > > "workstation".

    > > If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and smells like a duck, it
    > > is probably a duck.

    > I'd hardly say it "talks like a duck".
    >
    > HP have qualified the AD317A sound card with rx2660 hardware, but the
    > work has not been
    > done for use with VMS or at least it's not qualified anyway.
    >
    > Certainly not a true workstation.
    >
    > Alex

    Not qualified for VMS? That's not good. I guess we could move to
    servers and use X-terminals via ethernet.

    I have never worked with non-workstations. How do you manage a server
    without a monitor? Do you hook up a terminal via a serial port or
    something?

  12. Re: Integrity Workstations?

    On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 05:40:48 -0700, tadamsmar wrote:

    > I have never worked with non-workstations. How do you manage a server
    > without a monitor? Do you hook up a terminal via a serial port or
    > something?

    Yes, or terminal emulator.

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  13. Re: Integrity Workstations?

    "Tom Linden" wrote in message
    newsp.twoxlxmvhv4qyg@murphus.linden...
    > On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 05:40:48 -0700, tadamsmar wrote:
    >
    >> I have never worked with non-workstations. How do you manage a server
    >> without a monitor? Do you hook up a terminal via a serial port or
    >> something?

    > Yes, or terminal emulator.

    You can also connect to Integrity Servers with management options using the
    network - presenting you with a virtual serial line interface.

    Newer systems also have an optional firmware feature called iLO (Integrated
    Lights Out - originally a Proliant feature) that allows connection over the
    network via a web broswer and one day may even allow you to log into
    DECwindows through the web browser window (I actually have a prototype
    working right now - logged in via iLO to a rx2660 from a laptop running a
    VPN tunnel where I powered the system on remotely, booted using a VGA
    console displayed to the browser, and logged in via DECwindows).

  14. Re: Integrity Workstations?

    On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 07:33:28 -0700, FredK wrote:

    > "Tom Linden" wrote in message
    > newsp.twoxlxmvhv4qyg@murphus.linden...
    >> On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 05:40:48 -0700, tadamsmar
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have never worked with non-workstations. How do you manage a server
    >>> without a monitor? Do you hook up a terminal via a serial port or
    >>> something?

    >> Yes, or terminal emulator.
    >>

    > You can also connect to Integrity Servers with management options using
    > the
    > network - presenting you with a virtual serial line interface.
    >
    > Newer systems also have an optional firmware feature called iLO
    > (Integrated
    > Lights Out - originally a Proliant feature) that allows connection over
    > the
    > network via a web broswer and one day may even allow you to log into
    > DECwindows through the web browser window (I actually have a prototype
    > working right now - logged in via iLO to a rx2660 from a laptop running a
    > VPN tunnel where I powered the system on remotely, booted using a VGA
    > console displayed to the browser, and logged in via DECwindows).

    Can you also do it in the open on a secure connection?

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  15. Re: Integrity Workstations?

    "Tom Linden" wrote in message
    newsp.two2bzu4hv4qyg@murphus.linden...
    > On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 07:33:28 -0700, FredK wrote:
    >

    >> "Tom Linden" wrote in message
    >> newsp.twoxlxmvhv4qyg@murphus.linden...

    >>> Yes, or terminal emulator.
    >>>

    >> You can also connect to Integrity Servers with management options using
    >> the
    >> network - presenting you with a virtual serial line interface.
    >>
    >> Newer systems also have an optional firmware feature called iLO
    >> (Integrated
    >> Lights Out - originally a Proliant feature) that allows connection over
    >> the
    >> network via a web broswer and one day may even allow you to log into
    >> DECwindows through the web browser window (I actually have a prototype
    >> working right now - logged in via iLO to a rx2660 from a laptop running a
    >> VPN tunnel where I powered the system on remotely, booted using a VGA
    >> console displayed to the browser, and logged in via DECwindows).
    >>

    > Can you also do it in the open on a secure connection?

    I believe the answer is yes. I need the VPN tunnel because of a
    firewall/gateway that prevents me from getting into HP without the tunnel.
    When I connect to the system, I am warned by the iLO interface that the
    system hasn't been setup to be secure.

  16. Re: Integrity Workstations?

    On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 08:03:28 -0700, FredK wrote:

    > "Tom Linden" wrote in message
    > newsp.two2bzu4hv4qyg@murphus.linden...
    >> On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 07:33:28 -0700, FredK wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Tom Linden" wrote in message
    >>> newsp.twoxlxmvhv4qyg@murphus.linden...

    >>> You can also connect to Integrity Servers with management options using
    >>> the
    >>> network - presenting you with a virtual serial line interface.
    >>>
    >>> Newer systems also have an optional firmware feature called iLO
    >>> (Integrated
    >>> Lights Out - originally a Proliant feature) that allows connection over
    >>> the
    >>> network via a web broswer and one day may even allow you to log into
    >>> DECwindows through the web browser window (I actually have a prototype
    >>> working right now - logged in via iLO to a rx2660 from a laptop
    >>> running a
    >>> VPN tunnel where I powered the system on remotely, booted using a VGA
    >>> console displayed to the browser, and logged in via DECwindows).
    >>>

    >> Can you also do it in the open on a secure connection?
    >>>

    > I believe the answer is yes. I need the VPN tunnel because of a
    > firewall/gateway that prevents me from getting into HP without the
    > tunnel.
    > When I connect to the system, I am warned by the iLO interface that the
    > system hasn't been setup to be secure.

    Is this also available on ZX6000?

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  17. Re: Integrity Workstations?

    "Tom Linden" wrote in message
    newsp.two22hzghv4qyg@murphus.linden...
    > On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 08:03:28 -0700, FredK wrote:

    > Is this also available on ZX6000?

    No. It is a function of the HW and FW for the management option. The
    rx2620 doesn't have it for example, but the rx2660 does. The existing, and
    older systems DO have a secure network interface - but it is not the
    iLO-compatible one. You can TELNET into the system, and I think you can
    also get in through a web browser as a dumb serial line. The zx6000 (the
    workstation variation of the rx2600) had an optional management interface
    that used the old technology.

    When using the iLO "integrated console", the management option gets digital
    video data through the DVI output from the graphics chip, compresses it, and
    sends it off over the network to a browser. It also creates a virtual USB
    keyboard and mouse to present to the system. I am currently prototyping
    software to allow both a local KB and Mouse to co-exist at the same time
    with iLO's keyboard and mouse (plus no KB and mouse - and as a side effect
    support for real KVMs).

  18. Re: Integrity Workstations?

    In article <1186490448.930404.59720@l70g2000hse.googlegroups.c om>,
    tadamsmar wrote:

    > On Aug 6, 8:45 pm, "AlexNOSPAMDani...@themail.co.uk"
    > wrote:
    > > On 6 Aug, 22:25, Bob Gezelter wrote:
    > >
    > > > The key is that it is a "small server with a graphics card". Looks,
    > > > tastes, and feels like a workstation, but it is not officially a
    > > > "workstation".

    > > > If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and smells like a duck, it
    > > > is probably a duck.

    > > I'd hardly say it "talks like a duck".
    > >
    > > HP have qualified the AD317A sound card with rx2660 hardware, but the
    > > work has not been
    > > done for use with VMS or at least it's not qualified anyway.
    > >
    > > Certainly not a true workstation.
    > >
    > > Alex

    > Not qualified for VMS? That's not good. I guess we could move to
    > servers and use X-terminals via ethernet.
    >
    > I have never worked with non-workstations. How do you manage a server
    > without a monitor? Do you hook up a terminal via a serial port or
    > something?

    You can connect a terminal to a serial port, or a terminal emulator via
    telnet. Or various other options.

    Or you can use the available graphics adapter, and plug in a monitor,
    keyboard and mouse. Most people would call that a passable workstation.

    The other poster was lamenting the lack of support for sound hardware,
    which is part of what he considers a workstation.

    The AD317A sound card is not qualified for VMS because there is no
    device driver for the card. Writing a driver isn't on VMS Engineering's
    list of projects at the moment, because the demand for it appears to be
    far too low to justify the work.

    Nothing prevents others from creating a VMS device driver for a sound
    card. If there's demand, maybe someone else will do it. VMS
    engineering doesn't have to do everything.

  19. Re: Integrity Workstations?

    Tom Linden wrote:
    > FredK wrote:
    >> Newer systems also have an optional firmware feature called iLO
    >> (Integrated Lights Out - originally a Proliant feature) that allows
    >> connection over the network via a web broswer [...]

    > Can you also do it in the open on a secure connection?

    The iLO2 SSH feature comes with the Advanced Option (that you have to
    pay for, of course...)

    cu,
    Martin
    --
    One OS to rule them all | Martin Vorlaender | OpenVMS rules!
    One OS to find them | work: mv@pdv-systeme.de

  20. Re: Integrity Workstations?

    urbancamo schrieb:

    > I have two 19" 1280x1024 panels at work. They were bought when
    > anything over 19" was three times the price of two panels.

    Same here. But for home I just got myself an HP 1920x1200 24" - real
    coool...

    Martin
    --
    mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net