Integrity Workstations? - VMS

This is a discussion on Integrity Workstations? - VMS ; "Martin Krischik" wrote in message news:46b9ab60$1@news.post.ch... > urbancamo schrieb: > >> I have two 19" 1280x1024 panels at work. They were bought when >> anything over 19" was three times the price of two panels. > > Same here. But ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28

  1. Re: Integrity Workstations?

    > urbancamo schrieb:
    >
    >> I have two 19" 1280x1024 panels at work. They were bought when
    >> anything over 19" was three times the price of two panels.

    > Same here. But for home I just got myself an HP 1920x1200 24" - real
    > coool...

    Yes indeed. Plus you can connect various video inputs besides your computer
    ;-)

  2. Re: Integrity Workstations?

    > Nothing prevents others from creating a VMS device driver for a sound
    > card. If there's demand, maybe someone else will do it. VMS
    > engineering doesn't have to do everything.

    I don't really care about sound on VMS (since no VMS workstation I've
    used had sound), but this would be a fun project, if I only had the
    time.

  3. Re: Integrity Workstations?

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > Robert Deininger wrote:
    > > VMS products managers have detected almost NO demand for sound support
    > > on VMS. If there was demand, the work would likely bubble up toward the
    > > top of the list.

    > It is pointless at this time to even debate. I will just say
    > "LAME EXCUSE"
    >

    > Just admit that HP has no intentions of pursuing VMS and be done with
    > it. At this point in time, it is absolutely pointless to even try to
    > pretend that HP really sees a future in VMS.
    >

    > Your excuse is even lamer since Patrick Moreau has stated some time ago
    > that lack of sound support on VMS-IA64 would force him to either stay on
    > Alpha or move to a different platform, and his applications are pretty
    > important. But I guess VMS management only looks at new england
    > customers when making decisions on which features to cut next.

    Don't you EVER give up JF?
    The card is a little short of 50 so go out, buy yourself and
    Integrity and a sound card and write a device driver for it so that we
    can all benefit from your work in writing things for VMS...!

    Personally, I'd like to get the bug in mailbox numbering fixed before
    someone starts talking abut devices for sound cards. My server rooms
    are noisy enough that a sound card would be wasted.
    Come to think of it, if VMS were to be mass-market and dozens in every
    corporate computer room, they'd be too noisy to hear the sound as
    well.
    Sound cards sound a bit pointless on VMS after all then...

  4. Re: Integrity Workstations?

    etmsreec@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
    > JF Mezei wrote:
    >
    >>Robert Deininger wrote:
    >>
    >>>VMS products managers have detected almost NO demand for sound support
    >>>on VMS. If there was demand, the work would likely bubble up toward the
    >>>top of the list.

    >>It is pointless at this time to even debate. I will just say
    >> "LAME EXCUSE"
    >>

    >>Just admit that HP has no intentions of pursuing VMS and be done with
    >>it. At this point in time, it is absolutely pointless to even try to
    >>pretend that HP really sees a future in VMS.
    >>

    >>Your excuse is even lamer since Patrick Moreau has stated some time ago
    >>that lack of sound support on VMS-IA64 would force him to either stay on
    >>Alpha or move to a different platform, and his applications are pretty
    >>important. But I guess VMS management only looks at new england
    >>customers when making decisions on which features to cut next.

    > Don't you EVER give up JF?
    > The card is a little short of 50 so go out, buy yourself and
    > Integrity and a sound card and write a device driver for it so that we
    > can all benefit from your work in writing things for VMS...!
    >
    > Personally, I'd like to get the bug in mailbox numbering fixed before
    > someone starts talking abut devices for sound cards. My server rooms
    > are noisy enough that a sound card would be wasted.
    > Come to think of it, if VMS were to be mass-market and dozens in every
    > corporate computer room, they'd be too noisy to hear the sound as
    > well.
    > Sound cards sound a bit pointless on VMS after all then...

    What the devil would you do with "sound support" if you had it? Are you
    going to use your $250,000 production cluster to play music?

    Leave the toys and games to Microsoft where they belong!

  5. Re: Integrity Workstations?

    etmsreec@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
    > Sound cards sound a bit pointless on VMS after all then...

    Tell that to air traffic controllers, or idustrial machines that use
    sounds to communicate with the operator whose eyes are focused on the
    products being produced and not on some LCD display.

    There are very serious use of sounds, besides playing games or listening
    to Music.

    But you are right. Pointless to consider VMS for modern applications,
    just good enough for the installed base's legacy apps until they are
    migrated to a more modern platform. In the end, like it or not, that is
    how HP views VMS, and the lack of support for modern technologies will
    confirm VMS will be relegated to just old legacy apps.

  6. Re: Integrity Workstations?

    "JF Mezei" wrote in message
    > etmsreec@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
    >> Sound cards sound a bit pointless on VMS after all then...

    > Tell that to air traffic controllers, or idustrial machines that use
    > sounds to communicate with the operator whose eyes are focused on the
    > products being produced and not on some LCD display.

    Gee. VMS is used in ATC applications, and sound has never been a
    requirement. But you are the expert.

  7. Re: Integrity Workstations?

    On Mon, 13 Aug 2007, FredK wrote:

    > "JF Mezei" wrote in message
    >> etmsreec@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
    >>> Sound cards sound a bit pointless on VMS after all then...

    >> Tell that to air traffic controllers, or idustrial machines that use
    >> sounds to communicate with the operator whose eyes are focused on the
    >> products being produced and not on some LCD display.
    >>

    > Gee. VMS is used in ATC applications, and sound has never been a
    > requirement. But you are the expert.

    Perhaps JF gave a bad example.

    On the other hand I worked on a Y2K upgrade from RSX (PDP-11) to VMS
    (Alpha) for a large process control application. We were able to
    retain the DECtalk boxes because the DECtalk library had been ported
    to VMS and was still available.

    --

    Rob Brown b r o w n a t g m c l d o t c o m
    G. Michaels Consulting Ltd. (780)438-9343 (voice)

  8. Re: Integrity Workstations?

    In article , Rob Brown writes:

    > On the other hand I worked on a Y2K upgrade from RSX (PDP-11) to VMS
    > (Alpha) for a large process control application. We were able to
    > retain the DECtalk boxes because the DECtalk library had been ported
    > to VMS and was still available.

    My recollection is that the DECtalk library was on VMS from the first
    release of DECtalk boxes. Personally, I did not know it was on RSX.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2