How much will Integrity cost? - VMS

This is a discussion on How much will Integrity cost? - VMS ; I would need 5 low end Integrity systems to replace 5 DS10s. Each need 2 disks for shadowing, tape drive, two internet ports. I need vaxset,c,fortran,datatrieve,cdd on one of the 5 systems for development. I have an inquiry for ballpark ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. How much will Integrity cost?

    I would need 5 low end Integrity systems to replace 5 DS10s.

    Each need 2 disks for shadowing, tape drive, two internet ports.

    I need vaxset,c,fortran,datatrieve,cdd on one of the 5 systems for
    development.

    I have an inquiry for ballpark estimate in to HP.

    Any guesses on the cost/

    I figure somewhere between 50 and 100K. But it get conflicting info
    from various sites.

  2. Re: How much will Integrity cost?

    On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 08:55:41 -0700, tadamsmar wrote:

    > I would need 5 low end Integrity systems to replace 5 DS10s.

    Just curious, what is the rationale for replacing?

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  3. Re: How much will Integrity cost?

    On Aug 6, 12:10 pm, "Tom Linden" wrote:
    > On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 08:55:41 -0700, tadamsmar wrote:
    > > I would need 5 low end Integrity systems to replace 5 DS10s.

    > Just curious, what is the rationale for replacing?

    I only have a rationale for planning. I committed to doing some
    planning and the deadline looms.

    The rationale for pricing in the plan is to be able give our client
    heads up on a potential big expense in the future.

    I don't know if we will replace or when. I guess the rationale would
    be that the Alpha will no longer be built, sold, or supported by HP.
    I am really just scoping now.

    Are you not even thinking about it?

    > > Each need 2 disks for shadowing, tape drive, two internet ports.

    > > I need vaxset,c,fortran,datatrieve,cdd on one of the 5 systems for
    > > development.

    > > I have an inquiry for ballpark estimate in to HP.

    > > Any guesses on the cost/

    > > I figure somewhere between 50 and 100K. But it get conflicting info
    > > from various sites.

    > --
    > PL/I for OpenVMSwww.kednos.com

  4. Re: How much will Integrity cost?

    On 8/6/07, tadamsmar wrote:
    > On Aug 6, 12:10 pm, "Tom Linden" wrote:
    > > On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 08:55:41 -0700, tadamsmar wrote:
    > > > I would need 5 low end Integrity systems to replace 5 DS10s.

    > > Just curious, what is the rationale for replacing?

    > I only have a rationale for planning. I committed to doing some
    > planning and the deadline looms.
    >
    > The rationale for pricing in the plan is to be able give our client
    > heads up on a potential big expense in the future.

    I would start at the HP Enterprise Configurator page
    which will help you with
    your configuration and gives you prices at the end. It uses
    Javascript, so it won't work if you have Javascript disabled on your
    browser. The prices given are before any discounts you might get.

    Ken

  5. Re: How much will Integrity cost?

    On Aug 6, 12:12 pm, tadamsmar wrote:
    > On Aug 6, 12:10 pm, "Tom Linden" wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 08:55:41 -0700, tadamsmar wrote:
    > > > I would need 5 low end Integrity systems to replace 5 DS10s.

    > > Just curious, what is the rationale for replacing?

    > I only have a rationale for planning. I committed to doing some
    > planning and the deadline looms.
    >
    > The rationale for pricing in the plan is to be able give our client
    > heads up on a potential big expense in the future.
    >
    > I don't know if we will replace or when. I guess the rationale would
    > be that the Alpha will no longer be built, sold, or supported by HP.
    > I am really just scoping now.
    >
    > Are you not even thinking about it?
    >

    > > > Each need 2 disks for shadowing, tape drive, two internet ports.

    > > > I need vaxset,c,fortran,datatrieve,cdd on one of the 5 systems for
    > > > development.

    > > > I have an inquiry for ballpark estimate in to HP.

    > > > Any guesses on the cost/

    > > > I figure somewhere between 50 and 100K. But it get conflicting info
    > > > from various sites.

    Define your requirements specifically and ask for a *formal* quote.
    Requests for a "ballpark" estimate won't get much priority. I'd go to
    one of the dealers/distributors you're familiar with, or contact HP
    directly if you don't know anyone else.

    On your own, you can go to the HP configurator site, configure the
    hardware & basic system(s) and find the *current* costs. If some of
    your layered products must be purchased from 3rd parties you'll need
    to either find a price on their web-site, or contact them directly. A
    serious buyer might be able to negotiate a discount but a ballpark
    inquirer has no leverage.

    You *will* get different prices from different people, and you might
    even be quoted different part numbers. If you look again later, after
    your quotes expire, you'll likely get even different numbers.

    There are so many factors you haven't mentioned (which "low end"
    model(s), how much memory, how much disk, what are the systems used
    for...) that no one here can give you a better ballpark number than
    the one you have.

    Anyway, any numbers you get will only be good for the term of the
    quote. If you go back to the same people too often asking for the same
    quotes, they're likely to put you even further down in their stack of
    things to do. Sales-critters tend to get excited when someone asks for
    a new quote, but they tend to lose their enthusiasm when someone
    repeatedly asks without buying.

  6. Re: How much will Integrity cost?

    On Aug 6, 1:38 pm, "Ken Robinson" wrote:
    > On 8/6/07, tadamsmar wrote:

    > > > Just curious, what is the rationale for replacing?

    > > I only have a rationale for planning. I committed to doing some
    > > planning and the deadline looms.

    > > The rationale for pricing in the plan is to be able give our client
    > > heads up on a potential big expense in the future.

    > I would start at the HP Enterprise Configurator page
    > which will help you with
    > your configuration and gives you prices at the end. It uses
    > Javascript, so it won't work if you have Javascript disabled on your
    > browser. The prices given are before any discounts you might get.
    >
    > Ken

    I did try that. I tried to guess what the lowest end system was.

    I ended up with rack mounted 15K system.

    But, other web articles seem to indicate that I shold be about to get
    a system for something like 5K.

    And, this is a process control application. We have used DS10
    workstations with big X-terminals. So, I was not sure about rack
    mounting and how to connect to X-terminals.

    And, I the layered product stuff, in a separate location, was
    confusing about. Why is a individual license cheaper that a
    workgroup license?
    Did not know which to choose.

    Also, the web page was slow, so I did not feel like trying over and
    over to find the cheapest configuration.

    Other than that, the configuration tool worked great ;-)

    Anyway I emailed my specs to a HP guy for a quotation.

  7. Re: How much will Integrity cost?

    On Aug 6, 2:14 pm, tadamsmar wrote:
    > On Aug 6, 1:38 pm, "Ken Robinson" wrote:

    > > > I only have a rationale for planning. I committed to doing some
    > > > planning and the deadline looms.

    > > > The rationale for pricing in the plan is to be able give our client
    > > > heads up on a potential big expense in the future.

    > > I would start at the HP Enterprise Configurator page
    > > which will help you with
    > > your configuration and gives you prices at the end. It uses
    > > Javascript, so it won't work if you have Javascript disabled on your
    > > browser. The prices given are before any discounts you might get.

    > > Ken

    > I did try that. I tried to guess what the lowest end system was.
    >
    > I ended up with rack mounted 15K system.
    >
    > But, other web articles seem to indicate that I shold be about to get
    > a system for something like 5K.
    >
    > And, this is a process control application. We have used DS10
    > workstations with big X-terminals. So, I was not sure about rack
    > mounting and how to connect to X-terminals.
    >
    > And, I the layered product stuff, in a separate location, was
    > confusing about. Why is a individual license cheaper that a
    > workgroup license?
    > Did not know which to choose.
    >
    > Also, the web page was slow, so I did not feel like trying over and
    > over to find the cheapest configuration.
    >
    > Other than that, the configuration tool worked great ;-)
    >
    > Anyway I emailed my specs to a HP guy for a quotation.- Hide quoted text -

    I meant big monitors not big X-terminals. I guess we could use X-
    terminals. But I would like to use my existing monitors if we did not
    wait to upgrade for many years. I have a couple of new monitors.

  8. Re: How much will Integrity cost?

    General question:

    On the day Alpha was murdered, Compaq announmced some initiative "Alpha
    retain Trust" which was meant to reduce the pain induced by Capellas
    when he murdered Alpha and force people to buy that unwanted IA64
    contraption.

    Would someone like tadasmar with DS10s have any sort of automatic
    discount because he is downgrading from Alphas to IA64s ? Or was that
    "retain trust" thing just for the few very large customers that
    Compaq/HP actually care about ?

    What about licenses ? How would one, who doesn't have an HP rep, go
    about finding out how much it would cost to move from Alpha to some IA64
    boxes ? Or is it assumed everyone just buys new licenes from scratch ?

  9. Re: How much will Integrity cost?

    On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 10:12:40 -0700, tadamsmar wrote:

    >> Just curious, what is the rationale for replacing?

    > I only have a rationale for planning. I committed to doing some
    > planning and the deadline looms.
    > The rationale for pricing in the plan is to be able give our client
    > heads up on a potential big expense in the future.
    > I don't know if we will replace or when. I guess the rationale would
    > be that the Alpha will no longer be built, sold, or supported by HP.
    > I am really just scoping now.
    > Are you not even thinking about it?

    We have to, but if I were an end user, I doubt it. As it is, we have a
    lot of
    spare HW, both Alpha and VAX

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  10. Re: How much will Integrity cost?

    On Aug 6, 2:36 pm, JF Mezei wrote:
    > General question:
    >
    > On the day Alpha was murdered, Compaq announmced some initiative "Alpha
    > retain Trust" which was meant to reduce the pain induced by Capellas
    > when he murdered Alpha and force people to buy that unwanted IA64
    > contraption.
    >
    > Would someone like tadasmar with DS10s have any sort of automatic
    > discount because he is downgrading from Alphas to IA64s ? Or was that
    > "retain trust" thing just for the few very large customers that
    > Compaq/HP actually care about ?
    >
    > What about licenses ? How would one, who doesn't have an HP rep, go
    > about finding out how much it would cost to move from Alpha to some IA64
    > boxes ? Or is it assumed everyone just buys new licenes from scratch ?

    I guess I probably have a rep. But I tend to email the last HP guy
    who sent me a quote, and ask him to send me a quote. And I did that
    this morning.

    I guess I might get a break on trading in my old licenses.

  11. Re: How much will Integrity cost?

    "JF Mezei" wrote in message
    > General question:

    Ignoring JF's known feelings.

    If you are going to replace the DS10's with low-end Integrity servers, then
    the Alpha Retain Trust program should allow you to pretty much swap the
    existing licenses for Integrity licenses - making it a very attractive
    upgrade.

    All things considered, you will probably find that the raw hardware itself
    is a lot cheaper than the equivalent class Alpha, but the SW cost is a bit
    higher (this varies because of per-CPU licensing - it all depends) and if
    you are buying soup to nuts the total cost is usually slightly less to a
    wash. But if you are replacing the Alpha systems using ART - it is a very
    good deal.

    I'm not involved in sales, and don't really know the specifics - this was
    feedback from a couple specific customers who have used ART.

    Note that all of the "low-end" Integrity Servers can have multiple CPUs - so
    when pricing apples to apples make sure that you are looking at configuring
    just a single CPU against the DS10.

    On a personal note, I still use a DS10 for some day-to-day work because it
    has the ability to compile for Alpha and use internal tools to cross compile
    for Itanium. But I also have a rx2620 with the "office friendly" packaging
    (pedestal mount and firmware that runs the fans quieter)... The rx2620
    (dual CPU) has been dependable, quieter than my DS10, has more storage, and
    as one might expect is much, much faster than the old DS10.

    The one thing missing on the Integrity systems is a VGA console (VMS
    supports the graphics under X11, but not booting from the console) - that
    will be fixed in the next release later this year.

    In short, while I still love Alpha - if I didn't have the need to continue
    to build and test code on both architectures - I would have switched to the
    Integrity system already and retired my DS10.

  12. RE: How much will Integrity cost?

    You will definitely get a break on trade-in licenses.

    A few references:
    http://licensing.hp.com/swl/view.slm?page=xplasoft

    HP contacts for questions:
    http://licensing.hp.com/swl/view.slm...?page=contacts

    Migration planning resources:
    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/in...aplanning.html

    New licenses practices whitepaper:
    http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downlo...A0-2321ENW.pdf

    And as someone else pointed out, with 5 servers, you will no doubt get a better discount `
    price than 1 server. The price will vary depending on the discount that thepartner wants
    to provide you with.

    Another consideration which may or may not be pertinent - with the better performance on
    Integrity, you might be able to consolidate to fewer servers (perhaps in small cluster?),
    hence only 2 or 3 might be required. Course, in many process control environments,
    performance is not that much of an issue, but something to consider anyway.

    And in case you think mission critical environments are not moving to Integrity, check
    out this brochure and the quote:

    http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downloads/5982-9831EN.pdf
    "We recently ported the complete software of the Eurex Exchange, which consists currently
    of 5 million lines of source code, to OpenVMS on HP Integrity servers. We are currently
    porting the Xetra cash market software as well. OpenVMS on Integrity servers will enable
    us to introduce a new infrastructure with the same operating system in a cost-efficient
    manner."
    - Gerd Koebschall, Director, Head of Department XETRA/EUREX Operations Deutsche Börse
    Systems AG

    Regards

    Kerry Main
    Senior Consultant
    HP Services Canada
    Voice: 613-592-4660
    Fax: 613-591-4477
    kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
    (remove the DOT's and AT)

  13. Re: How much will Integrity cost?

    news:1186424049.801873.87530@g4g2000hsf.googlegrou ps.com...

    wrote:

    > > > I only have a rationale for planning. I committed to doing some
    > > > planning and the deadline looms.

    > > > The rationale for pricing in the plan is to be able give our client
    > > > heads up on a potential big expense in the future.

    > > I would start at the HP Enterprise Configurator page
    > > which will help you with
    > > your configuration and gives you prices at the end. It uses
    > > Javascript, so it won't work if you have Javascript disabled on your
    > > browser. The prices given are before any discounts you might get.
    > >
    > > Ken

    > I did try that. I tried to guess what the lowest end system was.
    >
    > I ended up with rack mounted 15K system.
    >
    > But, other web articles seem to indicate that I shold be about to get
    > a system for something like 5K.
    >
    > And, this is a process control application. We have used DS10
    > workstations with big X-terminals. So, I was not sure about rack
    > mounting and how to connect to X-terminals.
    >
    > And, I the layered product stuff, in a separate location, was
    > confusing about. Why is a individual license cheaper that a
    > workgroup license?
    > Did not know which to choose.
    >
    > Also, the web page was slow, so I did not feel like trying over and
    > over to find the cheapest configuration.
    >
    > Other than that, the configuration tool worked great ;-)
    >
    > Anyway I emailed my specs to a HP guy for a quotation.

    Planning is good. To fail to plan is to, er, I forget.

    You mention here that this is a process control application, and in an
    earlier note you mention that this is for a client.

    Having worked for some years in the field of "process automation", it is
    clear that it has different meanings to different people. An important point
    to note here is that typically there are no "industry standard" benchmarks
    for process automation. This means that if someone is assuming that Box Z is
    an appropriate replacement for Box A based on vendor's performance numbers
    for some entirely unrelated class of application, there is a risk you may be
    heading for dangerous territory - the land of unhappy clients, which often
    leads to the land of happy lawyers (which is not a nice place to be).

    If you are sizing your target machines based on real-world experience of
    your application or something closely comparable, please accept my apologies
    for trying to teach you how to suck eggs. But if someone is taking a guess
    based on vendor benchmarks and other experience of so-called "typical"
    applications, that guess needs to be validated based on *relevant*
    application performance before you go too much further down this road.

    For example, there are classes of "process automation" which get
    approximately zero benefit from the huge quantities of high speed cache
    which are at least in part responsible for some of Itanium's performance,
    because these applications use in-memory databases which are too big to fit
    in cache, and the vast majority of the data is accessed in a
    cache-unfriendly way (e.g. read once and not used again till next scan
    cycle). How much do you know about the performance characteristics of the
    application as it is today?

    You'll also have read, perhaps several times, that alignment faults are very
    expensive on Itanium. A process automation application using in-memory
    databases (global sections, whatever) for inter-process communication etc
    *may* require a little more care and attention, depending on its origins,
    history, and architecture, than some "typical applications" do to (a) get
    locking right (b) get alignment faults sorted.

    If this is an application that has already been ported from VAX to Alpha,
    the people who did that work might be in a good position to comment on these
    matters.

    hth
    jw

  14. Re: How much will Integrity cost?

    In article <1186424049.801873.87530@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.co m>,
    tadamsmar wrote:

    > On Aug 6, 1:38 pm, "Ken Robinson" wrote:

    > > > I only have a rationale for planning. I committed to doing some
    > > > planning and the deadline looms.

    > > > The rationale for pricing in the plan is to be able give our client
    > > > heads up on a potential big expense in the future.

    > > I would start at the HP Enterprise Configurator page
    > > which will help you with
    > > your configuration and gives you prices at the end. It uses
    > > Javascript, so it won't work if you have Javascript disabled on your
    > > browser. The prices given are before any discounts you might get.
    > >
    > > Ken

    > I did try that. I tried to guess what the lowest end system was.

    The configurator doesn't have real-world prices. For realistic prices,
    you'll need a formal quote.

    The configurator doesn't not offer all available configurations. It's
    design goal is ease of use (IMHO it failed), not detail or accuracy.
    For a real order or quote, HP folks would use a different set of tools.

    > I ended up with rack mounted 15K system.

    Your best bests for low cost would be either the rx1620 or the rx2660.
    I recommend the rx2660 for most applications, but there might be cases
    where the rx1620 could be marginally cheaper.

    The rx1620 is completely unsuitable for office use. It is too lound,
    and can't be made quiet.

    The rx2660 can be configured for rack or pedestal installation. The
    last time I fought with the configurator, it didn't offer the pedestal
    option.

    To get close to the configuration that would work for you, look at the
    QuickSpecs document for the rx2660. It has nearly complete
    configuration rules, but no price information.

    http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/q...12698_div.HTML

    If you would be replacing Alpha systems, you should be able to get a big
    credit for some VMS licenses if you trade them in. Normal terms include
    an overlap period, when you can run both old and new systems at the same
    time. I don't know the standard time period for the overlap, but I
    believe it can be adjusted to meet your migration needs.

    There is also a way to order VMS Cluster licenses for use during a
    migration. Even if your Alphas don't have cluster licenses, you may
    find the migration easier if you cluster the new Integrity systems with
    the old Alphas. The migration cluster licenses are supposed to be low-
    or no-cost.

    CDD is an Oracle product.

    VAXset (now DECset), C, and Fortran are standard layered products.

    > But, other web articles seem to indicate that I shold be about to get
    > a system for something like 5K.

    I think 5k-7k is possible, if you can get by with a lightly-loaded
    configuration and the software included in the Foundation Operating
    Environment (FOE). Your layered products would be on top of that, and
    Shadowing is a non-trivial price -- but still less expensive than Alpha.

    Definitely explore license trade-in and migration options.

    The rx2660 has enough built-in hardware to meet most of your needs:
    2 Gbit ethernet ports
    Built-in SAS controller supporting up to 8 internal disks.

    There's a single-CPU, single-core option for rx2660 to get the entry
    price as low as possible.

    For tape support, you'll need to add a SCSI adapter, most likely the
    A7173A with 2 ports. There are no internal tape options in this system.

    > And, this is a process control application. We have used DS10
    > workstations with big X-terminals. So, I was not sure about rack
    > mounting and how to connect to X-terminals.

    X-terminal support should be nearly identical to Alpha.

    > And, I the layered product stuff, in a separate location, was
    > confusing about. Why is a individual license cheaper that a
    > workgroup license?
    > Did not know which to choose.
    >
    > Also, the web page was slow, so I did not feel like trying over and
    > over to find the cheapest configuration.
    >
    > Other than that, the configuration tool worked great ;-)

    I think it's a piece of junk. So does everyone I know inside HP.

    > Anyway I emailed my specs to a HP guy for a quotation.

  15. Re: How much will Integrity cost?

    In article <1186424294.110608.68260@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.c om>,
    tadamsmar wrote:

    > I meant big monitors not big X-terminals. I guess we could use X-
    > terminals. But I would like to use my existing monitors if we did not
    > wait to upgrade for many years. I have a couple of new monitors.

    The rx2600 has 1 built-in graphics port. I don't know the maximum
    graphics resolution, but it is somewhere in the documentation for the
    server.

    You also mentioned process automation. Do you have any oddball adapters
    in your Alphas? None of the Integrity servers support 5 volt PCI cards;
    you can only use 3.3V or universal cards.

  16. Re: How much will Integrity cost?

    Robert Deininger wrote:
    > The rx2600 has 1 built-in graphics port. I don't know the maximum
    > graphics resolution, but it is somewhere in the documentation for the
    > server.

    The build in graphics port support native resolutions upto 1920x1200.
    I wouldn't expect anything amazing performance wise however.

    Mark.

  17. Re: How much will Integrity cost?

    On Aug 6, 10:40 pm, Robert Deininger
    wrote:
    > In article <1186424294.110608.68...@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.c om>,
    >
    > tadamsmar wrote:
    > > I meant big monitors not big X-terminals. I guess we could use X-
    > > terminals. But I would like to use my existing monitors if we did not
    > > wait to upgrade for many years. I have a couple of new monitors.

    > The rx2600 has 1 built-in graphics port. I don't know the maximum
    > graphics resolution, but it is somewhere in the documentation for the
    > server.
    >
    > You also mentioned process automation. Do you have any oddball adapters
    > in your Alphas? None of the Integrity servers support 5 volt PCI cards;
    > you can only use 3.3V or universal cards.

    No oddball addapters, it's all via ethernet to PLCs . We do have to
    get a substitute for Allen Bradley Interchange because it will not be
    upgraded to Integrity. That will be HP Basestar or binary translation

  18. Re: How much will Integrity cost?

    "Robert Deininger" wrote in message
    > In article <1186424294.110608.68260@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.c om>,
    > tadamsmar wrote:
    >

    >> I meant big monitors not big X-terminals. I guess we could use X-
    >> terminals. But I would like to use my existing monitors if we did not
    >> wait to upgrade for many years. I have a couple of new monitors.

    > The rx2600 has 1 built-in graphics port. I don't know the maximum
    > graphics resolution, but it is somewhere in the documentation for the
    > server.

    The built in graphics is a Radeon chip stripped of 3D capability (the 2D
    engine only). So it supports the same resolutions as the Radeon R7500
    adapter. Typically 1920x1200 is what I run mine at - but higher depending
    on the refresh rate.

  19. Re: How much will Integrity cost?

    "urbancamo" wrote in message
    news:1186475900.857655.110190@b79g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
    > Robert Deininger wrote:
    >> The rx2600 has 1 built-in graphics port. I don't know the maximum
    >> graphics resolution, but it is somewhere in the documentation for the
    >> server.
    >>

    > The build in graphics port support native resolutions upto 1920x1200.
    > I wouldn't expect anything amazing performance wise however.

    It is the same 2D engine as the Radeon 7500. So performance is pretty good.

  20. Re: How much will Integrity cost?

    If you go with an enterprise variant 2660 Dual1.6Ghz with 4GB and a small
    disk you are looking at over $50K per system

    Same old same old.
    Should be about $20K with licenses methinks!

    David

    "Ken Robinson" wrote in message
    news:7dd80f60708061038v537e820arc4a05b88668c8a3@ma il.gmail.com...
    > On 8/6/07, tadamsmar wrote:
    >> On Aug 6, 12:10 pm, "Tom Linden" wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Just curious, what is the rationale for replacing?

    >> I only have a rationale for planning. I committed to doing some
    >> planning and the deadline looms.
    >>
    >> The rationale for pricing in the plan is to be able give our client
    >> heads up on a potential big expense in the future.

    > I would start at the HP Enterprise Configurator page
    > which will help you with
    > your configuration and gives you prices at the end. It uses
    > Javascript, so it won't work if you have Javascript disabled on your
    > browser. The prices given are before any discounts you might get.
    >
    > Ken

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast