VMS OS req'd progression - VMS

This is a discussion on VMS OS req'd progression - VMS ; I am working on a plan to migrate our older VMS & Vax servers to the latest version on each. I have searched the HP site for hours trying to find a page that would show me the required migration ...

  1. VMS OS req'd progression

    I am working on a plan to migrate our older VMS & Vax servers to the
    latest version on each. I have searched the HP site for hours trying
    to find a page that would show me the required migration paths for the
    various releases.
    For example, one Alpha system is on release 6.2. What is the migration
    path that I am required to take to get to 7.3-x? Can I go right to
    7.3-1, or must I go to 7.0 or 7.1 first, then to 7.3-x?
    Does anybody have that info, or a link to a page, or do I have to read
    the release/install manuals for each release to determine the correct
    path(s).

    Thanks,
    Dan

  2. Re: VMS OS req'd progression

  3. Re: VMS OS req'd progression

    "jhjr4381" wrote in message
    news:1186404452.796191.50090@k79g2000hse.googlegro ups.com...

    > Does anybody have that info, or a link to a page, or do I have to read
    > the release/install manuals for each release to determine the correct
    > path(s).

    No, just pick the latest release notes, unless you are on an ancient
    version.

    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/DOC/732FIN...msupgradepaths

  4. Re: VMS OS req'd progression

    On Aug 6, 8:47 am, jhjr4381 wrote:
    > I am working on a plan to migrate our older VMS & Vax servers to the
    > latest version on each. I have searched the HP site for hours trying
    > to find a page that would show me the required migration paths for the
    > various releases.
    > For example, one Alpha system is on release 6.2. What is the migration
    > path that I am required to take to get to 7.3-x? Can I go right to
    > 7.3-1, or must I go to 7.0 or 7.1 first, then to 7.3-x?
    > Does anybody have that info, or a link to a page, or do I have to read
    > the release/install manuals for each release to determine the correct
    > path(s).
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dan

    Dan,

    I would start at the Release Notes for 7.3-2 (the documentation for
    7.3-2 can be found at http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/os732_index.html).

    The information that you are looking for is in Chapter 1 of the
    Release Notes. In the case of a 6.2 system, the notes state that an
    intermediate step will be needed. Whether that can be accomplished
    "behind the curtain" depends on your particular situation.

    If I have been unclear, or can be of additional assistance, please let
    me know.

    - Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

  5. Re: VMS OS req'd progression

    jhjr4381 wrote:
    > I am working on a plan to migrate our older VMS & Vax servers to the
    > latest version on each. I have searched the HP site for hours trying
    > to find a page that would show me the required migration paths for the
    > various releases.
    > For example, one Alpha system is on release 6.2. What is the migration
    > path that I am required to take to get to 7.3-x? Can I go right to
    > 7.3-1, or must I go to 7.0 or 7.1 first, then to 7.3-x?
    > Does anybody have that info, or a link to a page, or do I have to read
    > the release/install manuals for each release to determine the correct
    > path(s).

    Hi Dan,

    I have been collecting and maintaining this chart, see the FAQ. There
    is a web site (somewhere) at HP with this information, though that was
    derived from what was in the FAQ. (And yes, finding anything at the HP
    website is often somewhat of a task -- the way I usually use is via a
    Google search, and specifically with the Google site: keyword to
    restrict the search to the right server at HP.)

    Grab the PDF or .TXT version of the FAQ from

    http://64.223.189.234/node/1
    http://www.hoffmanlabs.com/vmsfaq

    and look for

    "What are the OpenVMS Version Upgrade Paths?"

    You'll find three lists of the available upgrade sequences for each of
    the three platforms.

    Alternatively, I've since re-done the OpenVMS upgrade path information,
    and posted a set of articles including the following that might interest
    you:

    http://64.223.189.234/node/255 (OpenVMS Alpha)
    http://64.223.189.234/node/256 (OpenVMS I64)
    http://64.223.189.234/node/257 (OpenVMS VAX)

    Feedback on the new listings format is welcome, I'm using a different
    notation on the new pages as the older notation was getting, um, dense.
    If what is posted there works, I'll probably retrofit it back into the
    OpenVMS FAQ.

    And yes, skimming through the release notes and the new features for
    each of the intermediate releases (where available) is (still) a good idea.

    Hoff

    --
    www.HoffmanLabs.com
    Services for OpenVMS

  6. Re: VMS OS req'd progression

    On Aug 6, 9:46 am, Stephen Hoffman
    wrote:
    > jhjr4381 wrote:
    > > I am working on a plan to migrate our older VMS & Vax servers to the
    > > latest version on each. I have searched the HP site for hours trying
    > > to find a page that would show me the required migration paths for the
    > > various releases.
    > > For example, one Alpha system is on release 6.2. What is the migration
    > > path that I am required to take to get to 7.3-x? Can I go right to
    > > 7.3-1, or must I go to 7.0 or 7.1 first, then to 7.3-x?
    > > Does anybody have that info, or a link to a page, or do I have to read
    > > the release/install manuals for each release to determine the correct
    > > path(s).

    > Hi Dan,
    >
    > I have been collecting and maintaining this chart, see the FAQ. There
    > is a web site (somewhere) at HP with this information, though that was
    > derived from what was in the FAQ. (And yes, finding anything at the HP
    > website is often somewhat of a task -- the way I usually use is via a
    > Google search, and specifically with the Google site: keyword to
    > restrict the search to the right server at HP.)
    >
    > Grab the PDF or .TXT version of the FAQ from
    >
    > http://64.223.189.234/node/1http://w...abs.com/vmsfaq
    >
    > and look for
    >
    > "What are the OpenVMS Version Upgrade Paths?"
    >
    > You'll find three lists of the available upgrade sequences for each of
    > the three platforms.
    >
    > Alternatively, I've since re-done the OpenVMS upgrade path information,
    > and posted a set of articles including the following that might interest
    > you:
    >
    > http://64.223.189.234/node/255(OpenVMS Alpha)http://64.223.189.234/node/256(OpenVMS I64)http://64.223.189.234/node/257(OpenVMS VAX)
    >
    > Feedback on the new listings format is welcome, I'm using a different
    > notation on the new pages as the older notation was getting, um, dense.
    > If what is posted there works, I'll probably retrofit it back into the
    > OpenVMS FAQ.
    >
    > And yes, skimming through the release notes and the new features for
    > each of the intermediate releases (where available) is (still) a good idea.
    >
    > Hoff
    >
    > --www.HoffmanLabs.com
    > Services for OpenVMS

    Thanks folks! Appreciate the response(s)

  7. RE: VMS OS req'd progression

    Dan,

    You likely already know this, but OpenVMS V7.3-2 is a fairly old version (released late 2003).

    The latest version (Alpha and Integrity) of OpenVMS is V8.3.

    The latest public patches for OpenVMS V8.3 can be found at:
    ftp://ftp.itrc.hp.com/openvms_patches/alpha/V8.3/
    ftp://ftp.itrc.hp.com/openvms_patche...R_ECO_LIST.txt

    OpenVMS release history:
    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/os...e-history.html

    Regards

    Kerry Main
    Senior Consultant
    HP Services Canada
    Voice: 613-592-4660
    Fax: 613-591-4477
    kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
    (remove the DOT's and AT)

  8. Re: VMS OS req'd progression

    On Aug 6, 11:41 am, "Main, Kerry" wrote:
> [...]

    If you are at 7.3.2 what's the best path to Integrity?

    Do you need upgrade to a common version of VMS on Alpha before you
    jump to Integrity?

  9. Re: VMS OS req'd progression

    tadamsmar wrote:
    > If you are at 7.3.2 what's the best path to Integrity?

    Make sure you are running the most recent compiler versions on OpenVMS
    Alpha! In my experience with helping over 100 customers port
    applications to OpenVMS I64, this is by far the single most important
    thing you can do. That's because you are going to get the compiler
    issues out of the way, and do it on a platform with which you are
    comfortable, before migrating to a new platform.

    If--as a consequence of upgrading your compilers--you need to upgrade
    OpenVMS, do it. It won't hurt.

    For more helpful information, read the OpenVMS porting guide.

    -Jeff Nelson
    -OpenVMS Engineering

  10. Re: VMS OS req'd progression

    On Aug 6, 11:28 pm, Jeff wrote:
    > tadamsmarwrote:
    > > If you are at 7.3.2 what's the best path to Integrity?

    > Make sure you are running the most recent compiler versions on OpenVMS
    > Alpha! In my experience with helping over 100 customers port
    > applications to OpenVMS I64, this is by far the single most important
    > thing you can do. That's because you are going to get the compiler
    > issues out of the way, and do it on a platform with which you are
    > comfortable, before migrating to a new platform.
    >
    > If--as a consequence of upgrading your compilers--you need to upgrade
    > OpenVMS, do it. It won't hurt.
    >
    > For more helpful information, read the OpenVMS porting guide.
    >
    > -Jeff Nelson
    > -OpenVMS Engineering

    You can't put the most recent version of VMS on an Alpha.

    I guess you mean that I should upgrade to a common version that will
    run on both Integrity and Alpha.

  11. RE: VMS OS req'd progression

    What makes you think the most recent versions of OpenVMS do not run on Alpha?

    Latest versions of V8.3 support Alpha and Integrity.

    I suspect you might be thinking about V8.2-1 which was an Integrity releaseonly.

    Fwiw, I run the latest VMS V8.3 + patches on all my home Alpha servers except 1 which I leave at V7.3-2 for compatibility testing of stuff.

    Regards

    Kerry Main
    Senior Consultant
    HP Services Canada
    Voice: 613-592-4660
    Fax: 613-591-4477
    kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
    (remove the DOT's and AT)

  12. Re: VMS OS req'd progression

    On 8/7/07, tadamsmar wrote:
    > You can't put the most recent version of VMS on an Alpha.

    What do you think is the most recent version of VMS?

    > I guess you mean that I should upgrade to a common version that will
    > run on both Integrity and Alpha.

    OpenVMS 8.3 runs on both Alpha and Integrity.

    You can also run a mixed version cluster -- Alpha 7.3-2 and IA64 8.3

    Ken

  13. Re: VMS OS req'd progression

    tadamsmar writes:

    > You can't put the most recent version of VMS on an Alpha.

    V8.3 runs on both Alpha and I64. While it's true that V8.3-1H1 will be
    I64-only (its primary goal is full support of the c-class blade enclosure), the
    current, shipping version is V8.3. V8.3-1H1 will be available in the fall.

    --

    Rob Brooks MSL -- Nashua brooks!cuebid.zko.hp.com

  14. Re: VMS OS req'd progression

    On Aug 6, 11:41 am, "Main, Kerry" wrote:

    Thanks Kerry,

    Yes, I am aware. We have to upgrade, but are limited to keeping some
    systems at certain levels because customers have not yet migrated. I
    did migrate one system to VMS 8.2 last fall. I was wondering if the
    'interim' software releases were available so I could take the servers
    through the upgrade path(s) necessary. Also, I would need release/
    install notes to take me through the tasks. I can't plan it if this
    stuff isn't available. Do you have a link for the older docs. The HP
    site seems to stop at 7.3-2.

    Thanks,

    Dan

  15. RE: VMS OS req'd progression

    [snip]

    > Thanks Kerry,
    >
    > Yes, I am aware. We have to upgrade, but are limited to keeping some
    > systems at certain levels because customers have not yet migrated. I
    > did migrate one system to VMS 8.2 last fall. I was wondering if the
    > 'interim' software releases were available so I could take the servers
    > through the upgrade path(s) necessary. Also, I would need release/
    > install notes to take me through the tasks. I can't plan it if this
    > stuff isn't available. Do you have a link for the older docs. The HP
    > site seems to stop at 7.3-2.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dan

    HP has written some very good OpenVMS planning documents that will take youfrom VAX or Alpha to Integrity. They are called transition modules.

    Reference:
    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/new/index.html or

    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/in...n/modules.html

    Feedback of any kind is welcome at transition_modules@hp.com !

    External doc`s are available online at:
    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/os83_index.html (Current)

    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/archived.html (archived)

    Also, see whitepapers on Integrity porting at:
    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/resources.html

    Regards

    Kerry Main
    Senior Consultant