LDAP tools for VMS - VMS

This is a discussion on LDAP tools for VMS - VMS ; Hello Does anyone know where I can get hold of some useful LDAP utilities for VMS? For example ldapsearch, ldapadd, ldapmodify, ldapdelete -- Regards Malcolm Smeaton, Server Group Leader Information and Communication Technology Services University of Canterbury Te Whare Wananga ...

  1. LDAP tools for VMS

    --
    Regards
    Malcolm Smeaton, Server Group Leader
    Information and Communication Technology Services
    University of Canterbury Te Whare Wananga o Waitaha
    Private Bag 4800, Christchurch 8140, New Zealand
    Phone: 64-3-364-2333
    Fax: 64-3-364-2332
    Email: malcolm.smeaton@canterbury.ac.nz

  2. Re: LDAP tools for VMS

    have you looked at the enterprise directory server layered product
    from HP?
    IIRC you do not need an extra licence for it.

  3. RE: LDAP tools for VMS

    Malcolm -

    Just curious, but perhaps you could expand on what you will be looking to accomplish
    with the tools?

    Reason for asking is that if the intent is to establish a unified user accounts
    environment with other platforms, then you might be interested in the following
    LDAP V3 compliant product from Process Software:

    http://www.process.com/VMSauth/index.html (uses Multinet or TCPware or HP
    TCPIP services)

    Extract from data sheetsupports Active Directory, OpenLDAP etc)

    "Many organizations are employing LDAP as a centralized repository for storing
    user information because it simplifies administration: additions and changes to
    permissions are made only once in a directory and are immediately availableto
    all authorized users, directory-enabled applications, systems, and other devices.
    By keeping the authentication centralized in a directory, a security administrator
    will always know who is accessing network resources and can define user/
    group-based policies to control access. The VMS Authentication Module makes
    use of an LDAP directory through a login request for access. The username,
    password, and all data can be encrypted via TLS between the OpenVMS system
    and any LDAP compliant directory server to protect a user's identity from being
    compromised. To ease administration, the VMS User Authorization File may
    be synced with the LDAP server password. An administrator can also specify a
    login request should perform multiple searches on multiple servers."

    http://www.process.com/VMSauth/OpenV...h%20Module.pdf (data sheet)

    If directory synching is what you are looking for, then HP LDSU might also be
    an option:

    http://h20219.www2.hp.com/services/c...0-225-121.html

    Regards

    Kerry Main
    Senior Consultant
    HP Services Canada
    Voice: 613-592-4660
    Fax: 613-591-4477
    kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
    (remove the DOT's and AT)

  4. RE: LDAP tools for VMS

    Hello Ian

    No I have not. But now I will. Thank you.

    --
    Malcolm

    > IIRC you do not need an extra licence for it.

  5. Re: LDAP tools for VMS

    On Aug 5, 10:17 pm, Malcolm Smeaton
    wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > Does anyone know where I can get hold of some useful LDAP utilities for
    > VMS?
    >
    > For example ldapsearch, ldapadd, ldapmodify, ldapdelete
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    > Malcolm Smeaton, Server Group Leader
    > Information and Communication Technology Services
    > University of Canterbury Te Whare Wananga o Waitaha
    > Private Bag 4800, Christchurch 8140, New Zealand
    > Phone: 64-3-364-2333
    > Fax: 64-3-364-2332
    > Email: malcolm.smea...@canterbury.ac.nz

    You will find the ldap* functions in the HP DCE for OpenVMS v3.2. I
    was able to get ldapsearch from OpenVMS 8.3 to work in accessing an
    LDAP directory on a Linux system. After a month of trying, I wasn't
    able to get ldapmodify to work. I opened a call with HP network group
    which knew anything about it.I even open a post on this site w/o any
    reply. Good Luck!

    Regards,
    Daryl Jones

+ Reply to Thread