DECNET on IA64 ? - VMS

This is a discussion on DECNET on IA64 ? - VMS ; Ok, this may sound really silly, but does the real DECNET (phase 4) exist on IA64 ? Since it has been in "maintenance mode" for ages, perhaps it was easy for some wintel employee at Compaq to not include it ...

  1. DECNET on IA64 ?

    Ok, this may sound really silly, but does the real DECNET (phase 4)
    exist on IA64 ? Since it has been in "maintenance mode" for ages,
    perhaps it was easy for some wintel employee at Compaq to not include it
    in the list of software to port to iA64 ?

  2. Re: DECNET on IA64 ?

    On Aug 3, 3:07 pm, JF Mezei wrote:
    > Ok, this may sound really silly, but does the real DECNET (phase 4)
    > exist on IA64 ? Since it has been in "maintenance mode" for ages,
    > perhaps it was easy for some wintel employee at Compaq to not include it
    > in the list of software to port to iA64 ?

    Good question, I was about to ask it.

    We are still using phase 4. So, upgrading that might be another item
    in my tentative upgrade planning.

  3. Re: DECNET on IA64 ?

    On Aug 3, 3:07 pm, JF Mezei wrote:
    > Ok, this may sound really silly, but does the real DECNET (phase 4)
    > exist on IA64 ? Since it has been in "maintenance mode" for ages,
    > perhaps it was easy for some wintel employee at Compaq to not include it
    > in the list of software to port to iA64 ?

    This list says Phase 4 is available:

    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/solutions/...partner_h.html

    (I finally get to play the guru with the anwser for once

  4. Re: DECNET on IA64 ?

    JF Mezei writes:
    > Ok, this may sound really silly, but does the real DECNET (phase 4)
    > exist on IA64 ? Since it has been in "maintenance mode" for ages,
    > perhaps it was easy for some wintel employee at Compaq to not include it
    > in the list of software to port to iA64 ?

    DECnet Phase IV does exist on OpenVMS I64.

    No "wintel employee at Compaq" made the decision about what to port
    to OpenVMS I64; it was made by VMS product management.

    --

    Rob Brooks MSL -- Nashua brooks!cuebid.zko.hp.com

  5. Re: DECNET on IA64 ?

    On Aug 3, 2:07 pm, JF Mezei wrote:
    > Ok, this may sound really silly, but does the real DECNET (phase 4)
    > exist on IA64 ? Since it has been in "maintenance mode" for ages,
    > perhaps it was easy for some wintel employee at Compaq to not include it
    > in the list of software to port to iA64 ?

    Take a gander at this SPD. Looks like DECnet Phase IV is on the list.

    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/info/XAV12Z/XAV12ZPF.PDF

    Dave...

  6. Re: DECNET on IA64 ?

    On 8/3/07, tadamsmar wrote:
    > On Aug 3, 3:07 pm, JF Mezei wrote:
    > > Ok, this may sound really silly, but does the real DECNET (phase 4)
    > > exist on IA64 ? Since it has been in "maintenance mode" for ages,
    > > perhaps it was easy for some wintel employee at Compaq to not include it
    > > in the list of software to port to iA64 ?

    > Good question, I was about to ask it.
    >
    > We are still using phase 4. So, upgrading that might be another item
    > in my tentative upgrade planning.

    I seem to remember that DECnet phase 4 was one of the first things to
    be ported and phase 5 was ported much later in the effort.

    Ken

  7. Re: DECNET on IA64 ?

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > Ok, this may sound really silly, but does the real DECNET (phase 4)
    > exist on IA64 ? Since it has been in "maintenance mode" for ages,
    > perhaps it was easy for some wintel employee at Compaq to not include it
    > in the list of software to port to iA64 ?

    Decnet Phase 4 works fine on Itanium. I have never seen the benefit of
    upgrading to Phase V.

    Jeff Coffield

  8. Re: DECNET on IA64 ?

    Phase IV exists on IA64. Works fine.

    However, Phase V really does do a better job, especially with multiple NICs
    and multiple LANs.

    I accept that NCL is a severe learning curve, but it really is worth the
    effort. You can find out a lot more about what's going on.
    This might help:
    http://www.downloads.xdelta.co.uk/vm...%20feb2005.pdf

    --
    Cheers, Colin.
    Legacy = Stuff that works properly!

  9. Re: DECNET on IA64 ?

    Jeffrey H. Coffield wrote:
    > JF Mezei wrote:
    >
    >> Ok, this may sound really silly, but does the real DECNET (phase 4)
    >> exist on IA64 ?

    > Decnet Phase 4 works fine on Itanium. I have never seen the benefit of
    > upgrading to Phase V.

    Nor have I. AFAIK there is no benefit to Phase V unless you want to run
    a VERY LARGE DECnet network; e.g. >65535 nodes. On the downside, NCL is
    a nightmare to use and the last documentation I saw was incredibly poor;
    the author was so damned proud of all the layers, stacks and towers that
    he never got around to explaining "how to do it"! It didn't help that
    DEC tried to support every conceivable physical layer from tin cans and
    string to satellite links and all we really wanted was Ethernet. I had
    to cope with Phase V for a few months while I was at McGraw-Hill; I've
    never known anyone else who used it.

    ISTR that the US Government decided to require the ISO protocol suite.
    The trouble with that was that TCP/IP had conquered the world while the
    ISO was busy debating the standard.

  10. Re: DECNET on IA64 ?

    In article , "Colin Butcher" writes:

    > Phase IV exists on IA64. Works fine.
    >
    > However, Phase V really does do a better job, especially with multiple NICs
    > and multiple LANs.

    But Phase IV does a better job on security, with

    SET EXECUTOR DEFAULT ACCESS NONE

    This fulfills the requirements of United States NIST SP 800-53 SC-7 (5):

    The information system denies network traffic by default
    and allows network traffic by exception (i.e., deny all,
    permit by exception).

    But before 800-53 ever existed, it was still good security.

  11. Re: DECNET on IA64 ?

    JF Mezei writes:

    >Ok, this may sound really silly, but does the real DECNET (phase 4)
    >exist on IA64 ? Since it has been in "maintenance mode" for ages,
    >perhaps it was easy for some wintel employee at Compaq to not include it
    >in the list of software to port to iA64 ?

    I'm managing a system running DECnet IV on an rx3600.

  12. Re: DECNET on IA64 ?

    DECnet IV has existed on VMS I64 since around V8.0

+ Reply to Thread