Read tar and mainframe tapes with 4mm drive under VMS? - VMS

This is a discussion on Read tar and mainframe tapes with 4mm drive under VMS? - VMS ; Is it possible? Reference?...

  1. Read tar and mainframe tapes with 4mm drive under VMS?

    Is it possible? Reference?

  2. Re: Read tar and mainframe tapes with 4mm drive under VMS?

    In article <009801c7d570$bac47880$304d6980$@com>,
    "Paul Raulerson" wrote:

    > Is it possible? Reference?

    I used to read and write 9-track mainframe tapes all the time on VMS.

    How I did it was to use COBOL's ability to use the EBCDIC alphabet, but
    there are other ways to crack this nut. There are various DEC utilities
    floating around. A quick search of the Freeware CDS comes up with this:

    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/freeware/freeware50/ETAPE/

    I am currently available if you require assistance in this area.

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  3. Re: Read tar and mainframe tapes with 4mm drive under VMS?

    On Aug 2, 9:50 pm, "Paul Raulerson" wrote:
    > Is it possible? Reference?

    Paul,

    TAR tapes can be read with VMSTAR, as has already been mentioned.
    Fixed blocked tapes can be read with other utilities. Tapes conforming
    to the ANSI standard can be transferred using the conventional COPY
    command.

    A thorough reading of the MOUNT command, particularly those options
    relevant to tapes is called for (the HELP text or the documentation
    set).

    There are some hardware limits. Some IBM drives have historically been
    able to write tapes with odd block sizes, some DEC/Compaq/HP drives
    cannot. This is a hardware restriction. Check the documentation for
    the appropriate drive/controller pair.

    I hope that the above is helpful.

    - Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

  4. Re: Read tar and mainframe tapes with 4mm drive under VMS?

    In article <009801c7d570$bac47880$304d6980$@com>, "Paul Raulerson" writes:
    > This is a multipart message in MIME format.

    Please turn that off, I had a hell of a time trying to find your
    message.

    Is it possible? Reference?  >>

    Yes. I interchanged ASCII and EBCDIC tapes between my second VAX and
    a collection of IBM mainframes many times. I read tar tapes quite
    often. Nowdays I mostly read tar files, but the format is the same
    and I use the same utility.

+ Reply to Thread