Re: Stay on Alpha forever? - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Stay on Alpha forever? - VMS ; Okay, time for me to jump into the fray, with my standard Shameless Plug Alert (tm) -- I am a CHARON-AXP reseller. First, I'm not like a 3-year-old -- with him, having a hammer means everything needs pounding. If moving ...

  1. Re: Stay on Alpha forever?

    Okay, time for me to jump into the fray, with my standard Shameless
    Plug Alert (tm) -- I am a CHARON-AXP reseller.

    First, I'm not like a 3-year-old -- with him, having a hammer means
    everything needs pounding. If moving to Itanium is possible, you
    should definitely consider it. I've migrated applications to
    Integrity -- I don't just do CHARON.

    > (*) Stan Quayle can send me some "gift" should you choose that avenue

    Thanks, JF. I give out "finder's fees" to people who bring me an
    opportunity that I didn't find myself.

    > Just for kicks, ask for a emulator quote offline for a VAX 6600 6
    > processor license costs (and that would be separate from the VMS
    > licensing component of course).

    Good point, Kerry. Where else can you get a 700+ VUP VAX? Not from
    HP, and certainly not eBay. The biggest that anyone has needed so
    far has been a 2-processor version. And they were thrilled to get it
    -- saved them gobs of floor space, electricity, and air conditioning.
    And, by the way, thousands a month in hardware maintenance.

    > most 8086 based stuff (64 bit or not) has been manufactured dirt- cheap
    > and very rarely supports server- quality features like hardware-based
    > error-detection on memory, caches and I/O channels.

    Yep, Neil, you get what you pay for. HP makes some very nice servers
    with all the goodies you mention. But I can't force the customer to
    buy quality. So, that's not a reason not to emulate, just a reason
    to educate.

    > Because Digital didn't properly handled the the VAX - Alpha transition

    Tom, I don't think anyone here would disagree with your statement. I
    finally ported a client's application from VAX to Alpha just a couple
    of years ago. The tools and techniques are MUCH better now. Moving
    from Alpha to Itanium is even less painful (usually).

    > large VAXen planning to keep them in service past 2020.

    And about those finder's fees... :-)

    So, tadamsmar, the choice is yours. Be glad you have a choice!

    --Stan Quayle
    Quayle Consulting Inc.

    ----------
    Stanley F. Quayle, P.E. N8SQ Toll free: 1-888-I-LUV-VAX
    8572 North Spring Ct., Pickerington, OH 43147 USA
    stan-at-stanq-dot-com http://www.stanq.com/charon-vax.html
    "OpenVMS, when downtime is not an option"

  2. Re: Stay on Alpha forever?

    On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 08:53:19 -0700, Stanley F. Quayle
    wrote:

    >> Because Digital didn't properly handled the the VAX - Alpha transition

    > Tom, I don't think anyone here would disagree with your statement. I
    > finally ported a client's application from VAX to Alpha just a couple
    > of years ago. The tools and techniques are MUCH better now. Moving
    > from Alpha to Itanium is even less painful (usually).

    I basically don't agree with the choices Digital made when transitioning to
    alpha (including that one) in deciding what to cull. VAX had a great set
    of
    tools, Alpha had a smaller set and, from what I can tell, Itanium yet
    smaller
    still. And then there is the 3rd part list. It would be a good student
    study
    for a business school, "How to destroy a business"

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

+ Reply to Thread