Problem with STABACKIT.COM and TLZ drives - VMS

This is a discussion on Problem with STABACKIT.COM and TLZ drives - VMS ; Hello VMSers! [On topic!!!] I can't make standalone backup kits on my TLZ07 and TLZ09 drives. I looked at the code and it seems to have the wrong device type id for it (them). What happens is that the code ...

  1. Problem with STABACKIT.COM and TLZ drives

    Hello VMSers!

    [On topic!!!]

    I can't make standalone backup kits on my TLZ07 and TLZ09 drives. I
    looked at the code and it seems to have the wrong device type id for
    it (them). What happens is that the code decides it's a disk and takes
    the wrong path through itself.

    $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT F$GETDVI("MKA300","DEVTYPE")
    28
    $ SEAR SYS$UPDATE:STABACKIT.COM TLZ07,TLZ09
    $ ! TZ885, TZ887, TZ895, TZ897, TL810, TL820, TLZ07,
    .OR. DEV_TYPE .EQ. 60
    - ! TLZ07 TAPE
    .OR. DEV_TYPE .EQ. 61
    - ! TLZ7 LOADER for TLZ07
    .OR. DEV_TYPE .EQ. 60
    - ! TLZ07 TAPE
    $ SH DEV MKA300/FUL

    Magtape IDS03$MKA300:, device type DEC TLZ07, is online, record-
    oriented device,
    [...]

    Can I just change the 60's above to 28's or should I just not make
    standalone backup kits on TLZ drives and why?

    Thanks!

    AEF

  2. Re: Problem with STABACKIT.COM and TLZ drives

    AEF,

    which version of OpenVMS VAX ?

    OpenVMS VAX V7.3 STABACKIT.COM has

    ..OR. DEV_TYPE .EQ. 28 - ! Generic SCSI tape, includes TLZ07

    Question is, can your VAX boot from a TLZ07 ?

    Volker.

  3. Re: Problem with STABACKIT.COM and TLZ drives

    On Aug 2, 12:36 pm, Volker Halle wrote:
    > AEF,
    >
    > which version of OpenVMS VAX ?

    $ SHOW SYS/NOPROC
    OpenVMS V6.2 on node XXXXXX 2-AUG-2007 13:10:06.47 Uptime 0
    01:49:01
    $

    > OpenVMS VAX V7.3 STABACKIT.COM has

    > .OR. DEV_TYPE .EQ. 28 - ! Generic SCSI tape, includes TLZ07
    >
    > Question is, can your VAX boot from a TLZ07 ?
    >
    > Volker.

    I don't know. It shows up with a >>> SHOW DEVICES command. I can boot
    from a TZ30. I successfully make a Standalone Backup kit on a TZ88N-
    VA. Why not a TLZ07 or 09? Is there any harm in trying?

    Thanks.

    AEF

  4. Re: Problem with STABACKIT.COM and TLZ drives

    AEF,

    just give it a try. Consider to make a private copy of STABACKIT.COM
    and edit it to replace 60 with 28. Then see, if you can boot the TLZ07
    afterwards.

    Volker.

  5. Re: Problem with STABACKIT.COM and TLZ drives

    AEF wrote:

    > [On topic!!!]

    [Yikes! Bad Poster! Bad!] :-)

    > I can't make standalone backup kits on my TLZ07 and TLZ09 drives. I
    > looked at the code and it seems to have the wrong device type id for
    > it (them). What happens is that the code decides it's a disk and takes
    > the wrong path through itself.

    > Can I just change the 60's above to 28's or should I just not make
    > standalone backup kits on TLZ drives and why?

    Do you have a CD burner and a CD drive? If so, send all memory of
    tape-based standalone BACKUP off to the scrap heap. (I'd also send
    memory of DDS/DAT to the same scrap heap, and swap in some used DLT or
    SDLT gear.)

    But to answer your question, yes, Generic MK or Generic TU device code
    was added to the list of devices, and a hand-edit of your own local copy
    of STABACKIT is worth a try. You're probably on a comparatively old
    version of OpenVMS VAX, too; if you look at a more current version
    you'll see an update for this added into the newer versions.

    Do also dig around for driver patches for MK and BACKUP for whatever
    version of OpenVMS VAX is in use here.

    The other option is to use an OpenVMS VAX V7.1 or later release to
    create the STABACKIT kit on tape. You can use newer OpenVMS VAX to
    manage standalone BACKUP for older releases.

    You might also try searches for STABACKIT.COM discussions; I recall this
    topic arising before.

    --
    www.HoffmanLabs.com
    Services for OpenVMS

  6. Re: Problem with STABACKIT.COM and TLZ drives

    In article <1186069503.617052.127600@x35g2000prf.googlegroups. com>, AEF writes:

    > Magtape IDS03$MKA300:, device type DEC TLZ07, is online, record-
    > oriented device,
    > [...]
    >
    > Can I just change the 60's above to 28's or should I just not make
    > standalone backup kits on TLZ drives and why?

    Can you boot from those drives? There's no point in puting a
    STABACKIT on a drive you can't boot from.

  7. Re: Problem with STABACKIT.COM and TLZ drives

    Bob Koehler wrote:
    > In article <1186069503.617052.127600@x35g2000prf.googlegroups. com>, AEF writes:
    >
    >> Magtape IDS03$MKA300:, device type DEC TLZ07, is online, record-
    >> oriented device,
    >> [...]
    >>
    >> Can I just change the 60's above to 28's or should I just not make
    >> standalone backup kits on TLZ drives and why?

    > Can you boot from those drives? There's no point in puting a
    > STABACKIT on a drive you can't boot from.

    FWIW:

    A VMS 7.3 STABACKIT tape boots from a generic DAT drive on my VAXstation
    4000-90. And it boots much faster than a TK50 STABACKIT in the TZ30 drive.

    A STABACKIT tape built on VMS 5.5-2 would not boot from the DAT drive.

    Chris Scheers, Applied Synergy, Inc.

    Voice: 817-237-3360 Internet: chris@applied-synergy.com
    Fax: 817-237-3074

+ Reply to Thread