Re: Kerry needs a news readerRe: Stay on Alpha forever? - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Kerry needs a news readerRe: Stay on Alpha forever? - VMS ; Wow - been looking at this for a few hours and it has as many extensions and options and such as does XEdit! Unfortunately, the programming language isn't Rexx, so it's going to be a project and a half to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 37 of 37

  1. RE: YAEQ: Yet Another Editor Question

    Wow - been looking at this for a few hours and it has as many extensions and
    options and such as does XEdit! Unfortunately, the programming language
    isn't Rexx, so it's going to be a project and a half to come up with those
    little changes. I guess they will have to wait for a while, but thanks! At
    least I have a clue how to do them now.

    -Paul

  2. Re: Kerry needs a news reader

    In article ,
    "John E. Malmberg" wrote:

    > Mozilla is also not handling wrapping properly on quoting some messages.
    >
    > I do not know if there is a bug open on that one. Based on that almost
    > the only activity on the other bugs that I have files is other people
    > seeing them on other platforms, it does not appear to be worth the
    > effort to file any more bugs.

    I am afraid that I came to the conclusion sometime last year that
    Thunderbird for news group posting is the poor cousin of the Mozilla
    offerings. I have ceased using it.

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  3. RE: Kerry needs a news reader

    In article <001201c7d70f$79e17b10$6da47130$@com>, "Paul Raulerson" writes:

    > I'm unaware of any system that uses CR/LF conventions other than
    > Dos/Windows, unless VMS is doing so.
    > Most large systems use record formats, or LF conventions. Or X'25' if you
    > happen to be in EBCDIC.
    > I've never looked to see what VMS is using for text files, but if it is
    > CRLF, then I can see your point.

    CRLF is a TCP/IP convention specifially called for in many RFC. All
    proper working clients and servers honor the RFC, no matter what
    thier file system does.

    VMS can use LF, CRLF, or several other conventions. Every client and
    server I've ever seen on VMS got at least this part of the RFC
    correct.

  4. RE: Kerry needs a news reader

    In article , "Main, Kerry" writes:

    > Other than perhaps convincing US folks to give up on baseball and football =
    > to learn hockey, the rest should go smoothly.

    Hockey? Texans curl, why should they need to learn hockey?

    http://www.dfwcurling.com/

  5. Re: YAEQ: Yet Another Editor Question

    In article <000001c7d773$2ea848e0$8bf8daa0$@com>, "Paul Raulerson" writes:
    > How does one go about stringing multiple editor commands together and
    > binding them to say, a function key.

    That's going to very much depend on which editor you're using.

  6. Re: YAEQ: Yet Another Editor Question

    On Aug 5, 11:13 am, "Paul Raulerson" wrote:
    > How does one go about stringing multiple editor commands together and
    > binding them to say, a function key.
    >
    > I would like to modify the behavior of the exit key so that it only exists
    > the current buffer displayed on the screen, while still asking to save it if
    > necessary before dropping it. I admit, being an ISPF/XEDIT bigot here, I
    > routinely have two, three, or more files open in the same editor session and
    > cut and paste between them.
    >
    > But my fingers forget what my brain tells 'em, and I keep finding myself
    > closing out an entire editing session, instead of just the one file I am
    > interested in closing.
    >
    > Also, it would be nice to be able to hit NEW and have it ask for a file, it
    > currently says it does not take any arguments.
    >
    > Thanks
    > -Paul

    Paul,

    With all due respect, may I suggest that thus post should be repeated
    in a topic by itself. Appending it onto this topic makes for a
    confusing newsgroup thread.

    - Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

  7. Re: Kerry needs a news reader

    On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 04:22:10 -0700, P. Sture
    wrote:

    > In article ,
    > "John E. Malmberg" wrote:
    >
    >> Mozilla is also not handling wrapping properly on quoting some messages.
    >>
    >> I do not know if there is a bug open on that one. Based on that almost
    >> the only activity on the other bugs that I have files is other people
    >> seeing them on other platforms, it does not appear to be worth the
    >> effort to file any more bugs.

    > I am afraid that I came to the conclusion sometime last year that
    > Thunderbird for news group posting is the poor cousin of the Mozilla
    > offerings. I have ceased using it.

    I like the newsreader in Opera.

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  8. Re: Kerry needs a news reader

    On 08/06/07 07:41, Bob Koehler wrote:
    > In article , "Main, Kerry" writes:
    >> Other than perhaps convincing US folks to give up on baseball and football =
    >> to learn hockey, the rest should go smoothly.

    > Hockey? Texans curl, why should they need to learn hockey?
    >
    > http://www.dfwcurling.com/

    Those "people" are *not* native Texans.

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA

  9. Re: YAEQ: Yet Another Editor Question

    On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 05:58:25 -0700, Bob Gezelter
    wrote:

    > On Aug 5, 11:13 am, "Paul Raulerson" wrote:
    >> How does one go about stringing multiple editor commands together and
    >> binding them to say, a function key.

    You can do that with a macro in emacs. Unfortuantely there isn't a recent
    version
    of emacs for VMS later than 19.28, so I use that and with eXcursion on XP
    display and
    edit on XP or Xemacs on a PC and edit the files on a VMS disk. I once
    modified
    about a hundred files with a keyboard macro using the shell and dir
    listing (on a Prime)

    There is a command (lisp package actually) to bind keys as well,
    assign-last-kbd-macro-to-key

    >> I would like to modify the behavior of the exit key so that it only
    >> exists
    >> the current buffer displayed on the screen, while still asking to save
    >> it if
    >> necessary before dropping it. I admit, being an ISPF/XEDIT bigot here, I
    >> routinely have two, three, or more files open in the same editor
    >> session and
    >> cut and paste between them.
    >>
    >> But my fingers forget what my brain tells 'em, and I keep finding myself
    >> closing out an entire editing session, instead of just the one file I am
    >> interested in closing.
    >>
    >> Also, it would be nice to be able to hit NEW and have it ask for a
    >> file, it
    >> currently says it does not take any arguments.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> -Paul

    > Paul,
    >
    > With all due respect, may I suggest that thus post should be repeated
    > in a topic by itself. Appending it onto this topic makes for a
    > confusing newsgroup thread.
    >
    > - Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  10. RE: Kerry needs a news reader

    We sent those curlers there many years ago .. they are Canadian moles working
    on long term strategy to get US folks into ice sports that also use sticks.

    Regards

    Kerry Main
    Senior Consultant
    HP Services Canada
    Voice: 613-592-4660
    Fax: 613-591-4477
    kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
    (remove the DOT's and AT)

  11. Re: YAEQ: Yet Another Editor Question

    In article <000001c7d773$2ea848e0$8bf8daa0$@com>, "Paul Raulerson" writes:
    > How does one go about stringing multiple editor commands together and
    > binding them to say, a function key.

    Assuming you're using a TPU based editor, the quick way is to use
    EVE's learn command. For more complex problems, write a routine in
    TPU and bind it using EVE's define_key() routine.

  12. Re: Kerry needs a news reader

    On 08/06/07 09:42, Main, Kerry wrote:
    [snip]

    > We sent those curlers there many years ago .. they are Canadian moles working
    > on long term strategy to get US folks into ice sports that also use sticks.

    Can moles actually dig thru permafrost, much lest live in
    permanently frozen dirt?

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA

  13. Re: Kerry needs a news readerRe: Stay on Alpha forever?

    Paul Raulerson wrote:
    > I just went to all the trouble of pulling the same message down, from a
    > blasted newsgroup no less, under SuSE 10.2 using tin and guess what? It
    > formatted just fine - even under a text based console window. Same under
    > Firefox.

    > Could it be you are using an ancient version or something?
    > -Paul

    Hmmm, it is decidedly long in the tooth, but I wouldn't call it ancient.

    tin 1.6.0 release 20030714 ("Vatersay") [UNIX] (c) Copyright 1991-2003

    Zane

  14. Re: YAEQ: Yet Another Editor Question

    Paul Raulerson wrote:

    > How does one go about stringing multiple editor commands together and
    > binding them to say, a function key.

    EVE(TPU) has a "learn" capability; however, I don't know how to make the learned
    sequences persist across editor sessions.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  15. RE: Kerry needs a news readerRe: Stay on Alpha forever?

    I've got 1.8.1-11 on here, but that shouldn't make that much difference, I
    would think.
    The only thing that I can think of might be the news server; I just used the
    local SuddenLink
    server, which is not one of the best ones.

    -Paul

  16. Re: YAEQ: Yet Another Editor Question

    David J Dachtera wrote:
    > EVE(TPU) has a "learn" capability; however, I don't know how to make the learned
    > sequences persist across editor sessions.

    learn sequences are saved when you create a section file. (something
    like SAVE EXTENDED . But section files are big and it will slow up YPU
    startup unless you install your own section file.

  17. Re: YAEQ: Yet Another Editor Question

    In article <46B7BF47.37A8509B@spam.comcast.net>, David J Dachtera writes:
    > Paul Raulerson wrote:
    >>
    >> How does one go about stringing multiple editor commands together and
    >> binding them to say, a function key.

    > EVE(TPU) has a "learn" capability; however, I don't know how to make the learned
    > sequences persist across editor sessions.

    EVE's save command will save the editor state to a section file, then
    you select that section file as your TPU$SECTION (a logical name).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2