RE: Kerry needs a news readerRe: Stay on Alpha forever? - VMS

This is a discussion on RE: Kerry needs a news readerRe: Stay on Alpha forever? - VMS ; > -----Original Message----- > From: Tom Linden [mailto:tom@kednos.company] > Sent: August 1, 2007 9:52 PM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: Re: Kerry needs a news readerRe: Stay on Alpha forever? > > On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 18:16:16 -0700, Main, ...

  1. RE: Kerry needs a news readerRe: Stay on Alpha forever?

    So, is the issue your newsreader or Info-VAX?

    Have you tried other newsreaders?

    Regards

    Kerry Main
    Senior Consultant
    HP Services Canada
    Voice: 613-592-4660
    Fax: 613-591-4477
    kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
    (remove the DOT's and AT)

  2. Re: Kerry needs a news readerRe: Stay on Alpha forever?

    On 08/01/07 21:00, Main, Kerry wrote:
    [snip]

    > So, is the issue your newsreader or Info-VAX?

    Don't know. Probably your Outlook, since none of your messages (or
    Paul Raulerson's, for that matter) have References: headers, which
    allow for proper threading.

    > Have you tried other newsreaders?

    We're using apps that follow the relevant RFCs.

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA

  3. Re: Kerry needs a news readerRe: Stay on Alpha forever?

    [ The stuff that started all of this removed ]

    When the Info-VAX gateway was written there were no mail clients that
    generated (or propagated) a References header. So that was not one of
    the headers that the gateway looked for in a mail message to propagate
    into a news message. I took a look at a couple of Kerry's messages and
    discovered that they now contain the References header so I have added
    that to the list of propagated headers in the gateway. Let's see if
    that makes any difference.

    However, there is nothing I can do about the fact that Kerry's choice of
    client does not believe in line breaks.

    Mark Berryman
    Info-VAX admin

  4. Re: Kerry needs a news readerRe: Stay on Alpha forever?

    On 08/02/07 12:13, Mark Berryman wrote:
    > [ The stuff that started all of this removed ]
    >
    > When the Info-VAX gateway was written there were no mail clients that
    > generated (or propagated) a References header. So that was not one of
    > the headers that the gateway looked for in a mail message to propagate
    > into a news message. I took a look at a couple of Kerry's messages and
    > discovered that they now contain the References header so I have added
    > that to the list of propagated headers in the gateway. Let's see if
    > that makes any difference.

    I see a References header in the email that I am replying to. Thanks.

    > However, there is nothing I can do about the fact that Kerry's choice of
    > client does not believe in line breaks.

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA

  5. Re: Kerry needs a news readerRe: Stay on Alpha forever?

    Mark Berryman wrote:
    > However, there is nothing I can do about the fact that Kerry's choice of
    > client does not believe in line breaks.

    But you could implement virus protection by simply not propagating any
    message that was generated by Microsoft software :-)

    This way, people who insist on using non-compliant Microsoft crap would
    not pollute the comp.os.vms/Info-VAX system :-)

  6. Re: Kerry needs a news readerRe: Stay on Alpha forever?

    On 3 Aug, 02:58, JF Mezei wrote:
    > Mark Berryman wrote:
    > > However, there is nothing I can do about the fact that Kerry's choice of
    > > client does not believe in line breaks.

    > But you could implement virus protection by simply not propagating any
    > message that was generated by Microsoft software :-)
    >
    > This way, people who insist on using non-compliant Microsoft crap would
    > not pollute the comp.os.vms/Info-VAX system :-)

    I don't know Kerry and I've not met him at any time, but what makes
    you lot who are having pops at him think he can control what software
    he gets to use within HP? I went through a number of weeks of testing
    emails out of HP's Exchange servers and mail gateways and came to the
    conclusion that some of the HP mail gateways do what you expect, some
    do what you want, and the rest do neither of the above.

    Kerry is probably stuck, to a large degree, with settings within the
    product suite that HP choose to provide him with. That's not his
    fault! That's corporate standards.

    Somehow, I doubt that HP's internal systems managers will be ready to
    change behaviour of systems or modify the application set on the
    standard desktop just because someone in comp.os.vms doesn't like the
    behaviour of Kerry's newsgroup or mail client.

    Live with it.

    Steve

+ Reply to Thread