DLTIV in SDLT Drive - VMS

This is a discussion on DLTIV in SDLT Drive - VMS ; Before I tell my customer he has messed up his tape drive He tried backing up to a DLTIV tape in a SDLT1 tape drive) I was wondering if I am correct in the assumption that you can only READ ...

  1. DLTIV in SDLT Drive

    Before I tell my customer he has messed up his tape drive
    He tried backing up to a DLTIV tape in a SDLT1 tape drive) I was wondering
    if I am correct in the assumption that you can only READ DLTIV and not write
    to them.

    I don't really want to try this here as they are still not yet cheap.

    Comments?!?

    David

    --
    David B Turner
    Island Computers US Corp

    T: 877-6364332 x201
    Intl: 001 912 447 6622

    E: dturner@islandco.com
    F: 912 201 0402
    W: http://www.islandco.com

  2. Re: DLTIV in SDLT Drive

    David Turner, Island Computers wrote:
    > Before I tell my customer he has messed up his tape drive He tried backing
    > up to a DLTIV tape in a SDLT1 tape drive) I was wondering if I am correct
    > in the assumption that you can only READ DLTIV and not write to them.

    > I don't really want to try this here as they are still not yet cheap.

    > Comments?!?

    Correct, and SDLT220 drive can only read a DLT IV tape. For SDLT320 and
    newer drives you can't read DLT IV media.

    Which is why we still have a Jukebox with DLT7000 drives (for reading).

    However, I don't believe attempting to write will damage the drive, it
    should simply not work.

    Zane

  3. Re: DLTIV in SDLT Drive

    THKS

    CONFIRMED ME SUSPICIONS

    DAVID

    wrote in message
    > David Turner, Island Computers wrote:
    >> Before I tell my customer he has messed up his tape drive He tried
    >> backing
    >> up to a DLTIV tape in a SDLT1 tape drive) I was wondering if I am correct
    >> in the assumption that you can only READ DLTIV and not write to them.

    >> I don't really want to try this here as they are still not yet cheap.

    >> Comments?!?

    > Correct, and SDLT220 drive can only read a DLT IV tape. For SDLT320 and
    > newer drives you can't read DLT IV media.
    >
    > Which is why we still have a Jukebox with DLT7000 drives (for reading).
    >
    > However, I don't believe attempting to write will damage the drive, it
    > should simply not work.
    >
    > Zane

  4. Re: DLTIV in SDLT Drive

    healyzh@aracnet.com wrote:
    > David Turner, Island Computers wrote:
    > > Before I tell my customer he has messed up his tape drive He tried backing
    > > up to a DLTIV tape in a SDLT1 tape drive) I was wondering if I am correct
    > > in the assumption that you can only READ DLTIV and not write to them.

    > > I don't really want to try this here as they are still not yet cheap.

    > > Comments?!?

    > Correct, and SDLT220 drive can only read a DLT IV tape. For SDLT320 and
    > newer drives you can't read DLT IV media.

    According to Quantum you can read DLT IV media in a SDLT320 drive. I've
    read there are issues with reading DLT IV media in SDLT320 drives with
    old firmware so upgrading to a newer firmware might be necessary.
    --
    Eric Dittman
    dittman@dittman.net

  5. Re: DLTIV in SDLT Drive

    dittman@dittman.net wrote:
    > According to Quantum you can read DLT IV media in a SDLT320 drive. I've
    > read there are issues with reading DLT IV media in SDLT320 drives with
    > old firmware so upgrading to a newer firmware might be necessary.

    You are supposed to be able to read two versions back with any given drive.
    The SDLT320's should be able to read DLT IV media written in a DLT8000
    drive, but can't. Also I'm told the S4 drives can read SDLT600 tapes, but
    can't read data written on an SDLT320 drive (our group doesn't have S4
    drives yet).

    Zane

  6. Re: DLTIV in SDLT Drive

    On 08/03/07 15:50, dittman@dittman.net wrote:
    > healyzh@aracnet.com wrote:
    >> David Turner, Island Computers wrote:
    >>> Before I tell my customer he has messed up his tape drive He tried backing
    >>> up to a DLTIV tape in a SDLT1 tape drive) I was wondering if I am correct
    >>> in the assumption that you can only READ DLTIV and not write to them.

    >>> I don't really want to try this here as they are still not yet cheap.

    >>> Comments?!?

    >> Correct, and SDLT220 drive can only read a DLT IV tape. For SDLT320 and
    >> newer drives you can't read DLT IV media.

    > According to Quantum you can read DLT IV media in a SDLT320 drive. I've
    > read there are issues with reading DLT IV media in SDLT320 drives with
    > old firmware so upgrading to a newer firmware might be necessary.

    Hi, Eric!!!!!!!

    Alan is getting STK to upgrade the firmware in the TTDC L40. Not
    that I knew that TTDC has an L40. I thought the only jukeboxen
    attached to EPS1 and NYEZ02 were L700s.

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA

  7. Re: DLTIV in SDLT Drive

    healyzh@aracnet.com wrote:
    > dittman@dittman.net wrote:
    > > According to Quantum you can read DLT IV media in a SDLT320 drive. I've
    > > read there are issues with reading DLT IV media in SDLT320 drives with
    > > old firmware so upgrading to a newer firmware might be necessary.

    > You are supposed to be able to read two versions back with any given drive.
    > The SDLT320's should be able to read DLT IV media written in a DLT8000
    > drive, but can't. Also I'm told the S4 drives can read SDLT600 tapes, but
    > can't read data written on an SDLT320 drive (our group doesn't have S4
    > drives yet).

    Here's Quantum's online "Media Compatibility Tool":

    http://www.quantum.com/mediaanswers/wheel.html

    It looks like real-world results don't match since that shows DLT IV tapes
    written on DLT4000 through DLT8000 drives as being readable in an SDLT320
    and SDLT1 tapes written on a SDLT320 drive as being readable in a DLT-S4
    drive. We just had the firmware upgraded on our SDLT320 drives and they
    still won't read the DLT IV tapes but the vendor says it should work so
    they are sending someone out tomorrow to investigate.
    --
    Eric Dittman
    dittman@dittman.net

  8. Re: DLTIV in SDLT Drive

    dittman@dittman.net wrote:
    > healyzh@aracnet.com wrote:
    > > dittman@dittman.net wrote:
    > > > According to Quantum you can read DLT IV media in a SDLT320 drive. I've
    > > > read there are issues with reading DLT IV media in SDLT320 drives with
    > > > old firmware so upgrading to a newer firmware might be necessary.

    > > You are supposed to be able to read two versions back with any given drive.
    > > The SDLT320's should be able to read DLT IV media written in a DLT8000
    > > drive, but can't. Also I'm told the S4 drives can read SDLT600 tapes, but
    > > can't read data written on an SDLT320 drive (our group doesn't have S4
    > > drives yet).

    > Here's Quantum's online "Media Compatibility Tool":

    > http://www.quantum.com/mediaanswers/wheel.html

    > It looks like real-world results don't match since that shows DLT IV tapes
    > written on DLT4000 through DLT8000 drives as being readable in an SDLT320
    > and SDLT1 tapes written on a SDLT320 drive as being readable in a DLT-S4
    > drive. We just had the firmware upgraded on our SDLT320 drives and they
    > still won't read the DLT IV tapes but the vendor says it should work so
    > they are sending someone out tomorrow to investigate.

    Testing shows that real Quantum DLT IV tapes are readable by our SDLT320
    drives but the drives have problems loading non-Quantum DLT IV tapes.
    --
    Eric Dittman
    dittman@dittman.net

+ Reply to Thread