decnet only works one way ? - VMS

This is a discussion on decnet only works one way ? - VMS ; Set host issue..... I believe everything to be configured correctly VMS 8.3 / decent_plus Node A Set host (to any node) no problem telnet out of this node (no problem) >From any other VMS node Telnet into node A (no ...

  1. decnet only works one way ?

    Set host issue.....
    I believe everything to be configured correctly
    VMS 8.3 / decent_plus

    Node A
    Set host (to any node) no problem
    telnet out of this node (no problem)

    >From any other VMS node

    Telnet into node A (no problem)
    Set hos into node A (host currently unreachable error message)
    Set hos to decnet address (host currently unreachable error message)

    Node A just does not want to pick up the phone ?

    Any ideas and Thanks,
    Carmine

  2. Re: decnet only works one way ?

    magalettac@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Set host issue.....
    > I believe everything to be configured correctly
    > VMS 8.3 / decent_plus
    >
    > Node A
    > Set host (to any node) no problem
    > telnet out of this node (no problem)
    >
    >>From any other VMS node

    > Telnet into node A (no problem)
    > Set hos into node A (host currently unreachable error message)
    > Set hos to decnet address (host currently unreachable error message)
    >
    > Node A just does not want to pick up the phone ?
    >
    > Any ideas and Thanks,
    > Carmine

    Try this:
    MCR NCP
    SHOW EXEC

    does the executor node number match what you think node A is?

    Jeff Coffield

  3. Re: decnet only works one way ?

    On Jul 31, 6:06 pm, magalet...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Set host issue.....
    > I believe everything to be configured correctly
    > VMS 8.3 / decent_plus
    >
    > Node A
    > Set host (to any node) no problem
    > telnet out of this node (no problem)
    >
    > >From any other VMS node

    > Telnet into node A (no problem)
    > Set hos into node A (host currently unreachable error message)
    > Set hos to decnet address (host currently unreachable error message)
    >
    > Node A just does not want to pick up the phone ?
    >
    > Any ideas and Thanks,
    > Carmine

    Carmine,

    I would like to see the results of NCP SHOW EXECUTOR CHARACTERISTICS
    on BOTH nodes. Also, is the problem limited to SET HOST, or are other
    services (e.g., COPY) showing the same or similar behaviors?

    - Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

  4. Re: decnet only works one way ?

    Carmine,

    can you do a $ SET HOST A on node A ? And a $ SET HOST B on node A ?
    Have you enabled the Phase IV address on at least one routing circuit
    (MC NCP SHOW ROUTING CIRC * ALL and look for Enable PhaseIV Address =
    True)

    Any routers involved (MC NCL SHOW ROUTING CIRC csmacd-n ADJ *) ?

    Volker.

  5. Re: decnet only works one way ?

    In article <1185919598.486686.57320@d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.c om>,
    magalettac@hotmail.com wrote:

    > Set host issue.....
    > I believe everything to be configured correctly
    > VMS 8.3 / decent_plus
    >
    > Node A
    > Set host (to any node) no problem
    > telnet out of this node (no problem)
    >
    > >From any other VMS node

    > Telnet into node A (no problem)
    > Set hos into node A (host currently unreachable error message)
    > Set hos to decnet address (host currently unreachable error message)
    >
    > Node A just does not want to pick up the phone ?
    >
    > Any ideas and Thanks,
    > Carmine

    Check that all the nodes are defined correctly in MC DECNET_REGISTER. Do
    this on every node. Then do a

    $ mcr ncl flush session control naming cache entry "*"

    again, on every node.

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  6. Re: decnet only works one way ?

    On Aug 1, 3:32 am, "P. Sture" wrote:
    > In article <1185919598.486686.57...@d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.c om>,
    >

    > magalet...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > >Sethostissue.....
    > > I believe everything to be configured correctly
    > > VMS 8.3 / decent_plus

    > > Node A
    > >Sethost(to any node) no problem
    > > telnet out of this node (no problem)

    > > >From any other VMS node

    > > Telnet into node A (no problem)
    > >Sethos into node A (hostcurrently unreachable error message)
    > >Sethos todecnetaddress (hostcurrently unreachable error message)

    > > Node A just does not want to pick up the phone ?

    > > Any ideas and Thanks,
    > >Carmine

    > Check that all the nodes are defined correctly in MC DECNET_REGISTER. Do
    > this on every node. Then do a
    >
    > $ mcr ncl flush session control naming cache entry "*"
    >
    > again, on every node.
    >
    > --
    > Paul Sture
    >
    > Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:http://eisner.encompasserve.org/~stu...ookmarks.html- Hide quoted text -

    Some more information...

    This is definately a problem with decnet routing, I think I have seen
    this before.
    Same scenario

    >From node b

    set hos a (fails with node unreachable)
    telnet a (Connects)
    from node a set host b connects no problem
    now from node b
    set hos a (and it WORKS !!)
    logoff
    15 minutes or so later set hos a fails again

    I am pretty sure it has something to do with the fact I have multiple
    ethernet
    cards on this system and only one csmacd circ excepts phaseiv
    routing ?
    When I try to enable the all for phaseiv routing I get a constraint
    violation.

    Any info is appreciated !!

    Thanks again....

  7. Re: decnet only works one way ?

    Carmine,

    I would guess, that nodeA does NOT run with a DECnet Phase IV address
    on any of it's routing circuits.

    If you succesfully SET HOST nodeB from nodeA, this creates an entry in
    the end-node cache for nodeA on nodeB. Then you can SET HOST nodeA
    from nodeB. But the entry in the end-node cache expires after some
    time and then you get your host unreachable error again.

    Check the network configuration on nodeA. Make sure the DECnet IV
    address specified is correct and unique. Make sure to only start ONE
    routing circuit with the Phase IV address on the same LAN segment.

    $ SHOW DEV/FULL Exc0 will show you the current MAC address for each
    LAN adapter (on V8.3). Does any LAN adapter have a AA-00-04-00-xx-xx
    DECnet Phase IV MAC address ?

    Volker.

  8. Re: decnet only works one way ?

    On Aug 4, 7:41 am, Volker Halle wrote:
    > Carmine,
    >
    > I would guess, that nodeA does NOT run with aDECnetPhase IV address
    > on any of it'sroutingcircuits.
    >
    > If you succesfully SET HOST nodeB from nodeA, this creates an entry in
    > the end-node cache for nodeA on nodeB. Then you can SET HOST nodeA
    > from nodeB. But the entry in the end-node cache expires after some
    > time and then you get your host unreachable error again.
    >
    > Check the network configuration on nodeA. Make sure theDECnetIV
    > address specified is correct and unique. Make sure to only start ONEroutingcircuit with the Phase IV address on the same LAN segment.
    >
    > $ SHOW DEV/FULL Exc0 will show you the current MAC address for each
    > LAN adapter (on V8.3). Does any LAN adapter have a AA-00-04-00-xx-xxDECnetPhase IV MAC address ?
    >
    > Volker.

    I ended up fixing this by running @net$configure advanced and picking
    the
    correct circuit for decnet to run on.....

    Many Thanks,
    Carmine

+ Reply to Thread