Re: VMS cluster behind a *NIX firewall - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: VMS cluster behind a *NIX firewall - VMS ; On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 06:02:41AM -0700, Tom Linden wrote: > On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 01:32:10 -0700, Anton Shterenlikht > wrote: > > > I need to have a *NIX frontend for a VMS cluster. In addition > ...

  1. Re: VMS cluster behind a *NIX firewall

    On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 06:02:41AM -0700, Tom Linden wrote:
    > On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 01:32:10 -0700, Anton Shterenlikht
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I need to have a *NIX frontend for a VMS cluster. In addition
    > >I'd like to set up cluster alias. I'm not sure how cluster alias will
    > >work together with port forwarding.

    > Why do you need this front-end?

    The Uni comp. services are not happy for me to connect the cluster to the
    network directly. I'm not sure whether they do not trust the security
    of the VMS, or my ability to maintain it. In any case there is nobody
    with any VMS skills at the comp. services at present, so they probably
    thought it safer to make me do it this way.

    --
    Anton Shterenlikht
    Room 2.6, Queen's Building

  2. Re: VMS cluster behind a *NIX firewall

    On 31 Jul, 14:19, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
    > On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 06:02:41AM -0700, Tom Linden wrote:
    > > On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 01:32:10 -0700, Anton Shterenlikht
    > > wrote:

    > > > I need to have a *NIX frontend for a VMS cluster. In addition
    > > >I'd like to set up cluster alias. I'm not sure how cluster alias will
    > > >work together with port forwarding.

    > > Why do you need this front-end?

    > The Uni comp. services are not happy for me to connect the cluster to the
    > network directly. I'm not sure whether they do not trust the security
    > of the VMS, or my ability to maintain it. In any case there is nobody
    > with any VMS skills at the comp. services at present, so they probably
    > thought it safer to make me do it this way.
    >
    > --
    > Anton Shterenlikht
    > Room 2.6, Queen's Building
    > Mech Eng Dept
    > Bristol University
    > University Walk, Bristol BS8 1TR, UK
    > Tel: +44 (0)117 928 8233
    > Fax: +44 (0)117 929 4423

    They've probably heard that VMSclusters are "terribly chatty" on the
    network and so want to make sure that none of their systems have
    network packets that might be foreign (i.e. anything that's not IP)!

    There are consultants around Bristol that could help the CSD guys out
    with VMS if they wished, or they could take someone on full time...
    If you need any UK based help let me know.

    Either way, good to see VMS being used in academia. Well done!

    Steve

  3. Re: VMS cluster behind a *NIX firewall

    In article <20070731131909.GA53337@mech-aslap33.men.bris.ac.uk>, Anton Shterenlikht writes:
    > On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 06:02:41AM -0700, Tom Linden wrote:
    >> On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 01:32:10 -0700, Anton Shterenlikht
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> > I need to have a *NIX frontend for a VMS cluster. In addition
    >> >I'd like to set up cluster alias. I'm not sure how cluster alias will
    >> >work together with port forwarding.

    >> Why do you need this front-end?

    > The Uni comp. services are not happy for me to connect the cluster to the
    > network directly. I'm not sure whether they do not trust the security
    > of the VMS, or my ability to maintain it. In any case there is nobody
    > with any VMS skills at the comp. services at present, so they probably
    > thought it safer to make me do it this way.

    They don't know VMS, therefor they assume it's as buggy as UNIX. I
    do agree with keeping SCS traffic off the open internet, but a router
    will handle that (SCS isn't routeable).

+ Reply to Thread