Installing VMS without a bootable CD-ROM drive - VMS

This is a discussion on Installing VMS without a bootable CD-ROM drive - VMS ; I am a hobbyist and I have hardware limitations which mean that I need to get VMS 7.3 installed on a VAXstation 4000 VLC for which I do not have a bootable CD-ROM drive at present (working on this). I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. Installing VMS without a bootable CD-ROM drive

    I am a hobbyist and I have hardware limitations which mean that I need to
    get VMS 7.3 installed on a VAXstation 4000 VLC for which I do not have a
    bootable CD-ROM drive at present (working on this). I do however have a
    working VAXstation 3100 M38 running VMS 7.3.

    My thought was to temporarily put the disk from the VLC into the M38 and
    restore the backup saveset on the bootable VMS install CD to the VLC's disk.
    I do not have a bootable CD-ROM drive for the M38 either, but I do have a
    CD-ROM drive that VMS can read. I'd like to do the standalone restore of the
    VMS saveset to the VLC disk, from a running instance of VMS in the M38. Is
    this a valid way to do it? If not, is there a better way? When I try to
    mount the bootable CD in VMS it fails, I am not sure what options I should
    use. How should I get the initial saveset onto the VLC's disk?

    Also I don't remember if the VMS installation needed to read the CD again
    during the initial installation process, so even if I do get the saveset
    across and can then put the disk back into the VLC, will I be able to
    install VMS without needing further access to the CD-ROM drive?

    Thanks

    Rob

  2. Re: Installing VMS without a bootable CD-ROM drive

    In article , "Robert Jarratt" writes:

    >I am a hobbyist and I have hardware limitations which mean that I need to
    >get VMS 7.3 installed on a VAXstation 4000 VLC for which I do not have a
    >bootable CD-ROM drive at present (working on this). I do however have a
    >working VAXstation 3100 M38 running VMS 7.3.
    >
    >My thought was to temporarily put the disk from the VLC into the M38 and
    >restore the backup saveset on the bootable VMS install CD to the VLC's disk.
    >I do not have a bootable CD-ROM drive for the M38 either, but I do have a
    >CD-ROM drive that VMS can read. I'd like to do the standalone restore of the
    >VMS saveset to the VLC disk, from a running instance of VMS in the M38. Is
    >this a valid way to do it? If not, is there a better way? When I try to
    >mount the bootable CD in VMS it fails, I am not sure what options I should
    >use. How should I get the initial saveset onto the VLC's disk?
    >
    >Also I don't remember if the VMS installation needed to read the CD again
    >during the initial installation process, so even if I do get the saveset
    >across and can then put the disk back into the VLC, will I be able to
    >install VMS without needing further access to the CD-ROM drive?

    If you can put the disk into the M38, you do not need a CD. Take a look
    in SYS$UPDATE for STABACKIT.COM. Run this and it will put a minimum bit
    of VMS into a special location on the system disk. This code will load
    a virtual disk into memory on the machine and put this minimal context of
    VMS in it. You can then do a BACKUP of the system disk, unencumbered by
    any lock/open files, to the other drive.

    If you Google STABACKIT you should find all the details you will need to
    do this. You need to specify some flags to the boot command to do this
    and you should find this all well detailed in on-line docs Google will
    find you.

    Man... STABACKIT... does that bring back old memories.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  3. Re: Installing VMS without a bootable CD-ROM drive

    Robert Jarratt wrote:

    > I am a hobbyist and I have hardware limitations which mean that I need to
    > get VMS 7.3 installed on a VAXstation 4000 VLC for which I do not have a
    > bootable CD-ROM drive at present (working on this). I do however have a
    > working VAXstation 3100 M38 running VMS 7.3.
    >
    > My thought was to temporarily put the disk from the VLC into the M38 and
    > restore the backup saveset on the bootable VMS install CD to the VLC's disk.
    > I do not have a bootable CD-ROM drive for the M38 either, but I do have a
    > CD-ROM drive that VMS can read. I'd like to do the standalone restore of the
    > VMS saveset to the VLC disk, from a running instance of VMS in the M38. Is
    > this a valid way to do it? If not, is there a better way? When I try to
    > mount the bootable CD in VMS it fails, I am not sure what options I should
    > use. How should I get the initial saveset onto the VLC's disk?
    >
    > Also I don't remember if the VMS installation needed to read the CD again
    > during the initial installation process, so even if I do get the saveset
    > across and can then put the disk back into the VLC, will I be able to
    > install VMS without needing further access to the CD-ROM drive?

    Dumb question time: if VMS can read the CD drive, why will the machine not boot
    from it?

    As to the other question, you can simply BACKUP/IMAGE the VMS073.B saveset from
    the CD to the SCSI drive, then COPY the remaining VMS073.% savesets (use
    /EXCLUDE=VMS073.B; - you won't need it) from the root of the CD to the SCSI
    drive, put it back into the VLC, boot it up and perform the install using the
    SCSI drive as both the install media and the destination.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  4. Re: Installing VMS without a bootable CD-ROM drive

    The M38 is *very* picky about the drives it will boot from and for the VLC I
    do not (yet) have an external drive (there is not enough power and not
    enough cables in the VLC to connect an internal drive as well as the hard
    disk).

    Do I need to mount the CD to restore using BACKUP/IMAGE? If so I am not sure
    what command to use as a simple MOUNT/OVER=ID fails.

    Thanks

    Rob

    "David J Dachtera" wrote in message
    > Robert Jarratt wrote:
    >>
    >> I am a hobbyist and I have hardware limitations which mean that I need to
    >> get VMS 7.3 installed on a VAXstation 4000 VLC for which I do not have a
    >> bootable CD-ROM drive at present (working on this). I do however have a
    >> working VAXstation 3100 M38 running VMS 7.3.
    >>
    >> My thought was to temporarily put the disk from the VLC into the M38 and
    >> restore the backup saveset on the bootable VMS install CD to the VLC's
    >> disk.
    >> I do not have a bootable CD-ROM drive for the M38 either, but I do have a
    >> CD-ROM drive that VMS can read. I'd like to do the standalone restore of
    >> the
    >> VMS saveset to the VLC disk, from a running instance of VMS in the M38.
    >> Is
    >> this a valid way to do it? If not, is there a better way? When I try to
    >> mount the bootable CD in VMS it fails, I am not sure what options I
    >> should
    >> use. How should I get the initial saveset onto the VLC's disk?
    >>
    >> Also I don't remember if the VMS installation needed to read the CD again
    >> during the initial installation process, so even if I do get the saveset
    >> across and can then put the disk back into the VLC, will I be able to
    >> install VMS without needing further access to the CD-ROM drive?

    > Dumb question time: if VMS can read the CD drive, why will the machine not
    > boot
    > from it?
    >
    > As to the other question, you can simply BACKUP/IMAGE the VMS073.B saveset
    > from
    > the CD to the SCSI drive, then COPY the remaining VMS073.% savesets (use
    > /EXCLUDE=VMS073.B; - you won't need it) from the root of the CD to the
    > SCSI
    > drive, put it back into the VLC, boot it up and perform the install using
    > the
    > SCSI drive as both the install media and the destination.
    >
    > --
    > David J Dachtera
    > dba DJE Systems
    > http://www.djesys.com/
    >
    > Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/
    >
    > Unofficial Affordable OpenVMS Home Page:
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/
    >
    > Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/
    >
    > Unofficial OpenVMS Hobbyist Support Page:
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  5. Re: Installing VMS without a bootable CD-ROM drive

    Just to clarify, when I try to mount the CD I get %MOUNT-F-MEDOFL, medium is
    offline.

    Regards

    Rob

    "Robert Jarratt" wrote in message
    > The M38 is *very* picky about the drives it will boot from and for the VLC
    > I do not (yet) have an external drive (there is not enough power and not
    > enough cables in the VLC to connect an internal drive as well as the hard
    > disk).
    >
    > Do I need to mount the CD to restore using BACKUP/IMAGE? If so I am not
    > sure what command to use as a simple MOUNT/OVER=ID fails.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Rob
    >
    > "David J Dachtera" wrote in message
    >> Robert Jarratt wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I am a hobbyist and I have hardware limitations which mean that I need
    >>> get VMS 7.3 installed on a VAXstation 4000 VLC for which I do not have a
    >>> bootable CD-ROM drive at present (working on this). I do however have a
    >>> working VAXstation 3100 M38 running VMS 7.3.
    >>>
    >>> My thought was to temporarily put the disk from the VLC into the M38 and
    >>> restore the backup saveset on the bootable VMS install CD to the VLC's
    >>> disk.
    >>> I do not have a bootable CD-ROM drive for the M38 either, but I do have
    >>> CD-ROM drive that VMS can read. I'd like to do the standalone restore of
    >>> the
    >>> VMS saveset to the VLC disk, from a running instance of VMS in the M38.
    >>> Is
    >>> this a valid way to do it? If not, is there a better way? When I try to
    >>> mount the bootable CD in VMS it fails, I am not sure what options I
    >>> should
    >>> use. How should I get the initial saveset onto the VLC's disk?
    >>>
    >>> Also I don't remember if the VMS installation needed to read the CD
    >>> again
    >>> during the initial installation process, so even if I do get the saveset
    >>> across and can then put the disk back into the VLC, will I be able to
    >>> install VMS without needing further access to the CD-ROM drive?

    >> Dumb question time: if VMS can read the CD drive, why will the machine
    >> not boot
    >> from it?
    >>
    >> As to the other question, you can simply BACKUP/IMAGE the VMS073.B
    >> saveset from
    >> the CD to the SCSI drive, then COPY the remaining VMS073.% savesets (use
    >> /EXCLUDE=VMS073.B; - you won't need it) from the root of the CD to the
    >> SCSI
    >> drive, put it back into the VLC, boot it up and perform the install using
    >> the
    >> SCSI drive as both the install media and the destination.
    >>
    >> --
    >> David J Dachtera
    >> dba DJE Systems
    >> http://www.djesys.com/
    >>
    >> Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    >> http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/
    >>
    >> Unofficial Affordable OpenVMS Home Page:
    >> http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/
    >>
    >> Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    >> http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/
    >>
    >> Unofficial OpenVMS Hobbyist Support Page:
    >> http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  6. Re: Installing VMS without a bootable CD-ROM drive

    Robert Jarratt schrieb:
    > I am a hobbyist and I have hardware limitations which mean that I need to
    > get VMS 7.3 installed on a VAXstation 4000 VLC for which I do not have a
    > bootable CD-ROM drive at present (working on this). I do however have a
    > working VAXstation 3100 M38 running VMS 7.3.

    You might consider "cloning" the working system to a second disk and
    put this into the VLC, sth like

    BACK/IMAGE/IGNORE=INTERLOCK dka100: dka0:

    once worked for me.

  7. Re: Installing VMS without a bootable CD-ROM drive

    In article , "Robert Jarratt" writes:

    >Just to clarify, when I try to mount the CD I get %MOUNT-F-MEDOFL, medium is
    >offline.

    Others have pointed out, unless you want a different version of VMS than that
    which is on your M38, just BACKUP that system's disk to the driver from that
    VLC you install in the M38. I suggested STABACKIT but not that I think about
    it, it might not be necessary.

    If you need a CDrom drive, I might have one in my drive dump. Let me know.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  8. Re: Installing VMS without a bootable CD-ROM drive

    I am going to trythe various backup methods but would like to do a scratch
    install. Your reply seems to imply you think my CD-ROM drive is broken or
    the medium is unreadable. Neither should be the case, as they were both
    working quite recently. Should I expect to be able to do a MOUNT/OVER=ID on
    the bootable CD with VMS on it?

    Thanks

    Rob

    wrote in message
    > In article , "Robert Jarratt"
    > writes:
    >>

    >>Just to clarify, when I try to mount the CD I get %MOUNT-F-MEDOFL, medium
    >>is
    >>offline.

    > Others have pointed out, unless you want a different version of VMS than
    > that
    > which is on your M38, just BACKUP that system's disk to the driver from
    > that
    > VLC you install in the M38. I suggested STABACKIT but not that I think
    > about
    > it, it might not be necessary.
    >
    > If you need a CDrom drive, I might have one in my drive dump. Let me
    > know.
    >
    > --
    > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker
    > VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM
    >
    > "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"
    >
    > http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  9. Re: Installing VMS without a bootable CD-ROM drive

    "Robert Jarratt" schreef in bericht
    > I am a hobbyist and I have hardware limitations which mean that I need to
    > get VMS 7.3 installed on a VAXstation 4000 VLC for which I do not have a
    > bootable CD-ROM drive at present (working on this). I do however have a
    > working VAXstation 3100 M38 running VMS 7.3.
    >
    > My thought was to temporarily put the disk from the VLC into the M38 and
    > restore the backup saveset on the bootable VMS install CD to the VLC's

    disk.
    > I do not have a bootable CD-ROM drive for the M38 either, but I do have a
    > CD-ROM drive that VMS can read. I'd like to do the standalone restore of

    the
    > VMS saveset to the VLC disk, from a running instance of VMS in the M38. Is
    > this a valid way to do it? If not, is there a better way? When I try to
    > mount the bootable CD in VMS it fails, I am not sure what options I should
    > use. How should I get the initial saveset onto the VLC's disk?
    >
    > Also I don't remember if the VMS installation needed to read the CD again
    > during the initial installation process, so even if I do get the saveset
    > across and can then put the disk back into the VLC, will I be able to
    > install VMS without needing further access to the CD-ROM drive?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Rob

    1) make sure the VMS073.% sets are on the disk of the 3100M38
    2) convert the system disk of the 3100M38 to a cluster disk
    3) boot the VLC from it (over ethernet) and make sure you don't use its own
    disk
    4) backup/image VMS072.B/save to the local drive of the VLC
    5) copy the remaining VMS073.% files to the VLC disk; put them in [000000]
    6) remove the VLC from the cluster and boot it standalone

    The assumption is that the VLC has a system disk, big enough to hold both
    the VMS kitsfiles as well as the installed os.

    Hans

  10. Re: Installing VMS without a bootable CD-ROM drive

    Robert Jarratt wrote:
    > I am a hobbyist and I have hardware limitations which mean that I need to
    > get VMS 7.3 installed on a VAXstation 4000 VLC for which I do not have a
    > bootable CD-ROM drive at present (working on this). I do however have a
    > working VAXstation 3100 M38 running VMS 7.3.

    Boot node1, mount the VMS CD.
    Then use @SYS$MANAGER:CLUSTER_CONFIG.COM to make NODE1 a boot node
    Then use @SYS$MANAGER:CLUSTER_CONFIG.COM to make NODE2 a satellite node

    NODE2 will then boot from node1's system drive, and once booted, will
    have access to the NODE1 disks, including the CDrom drive which it will
    be able to mount. Make sure that NODE2 uses a pagefile (small) on
    NODE1's disk. (leaving NODE2's drive unused).

    You can then, from either node, use BACKUP/IMAGE/INITIALIZE to unpack
    the B saveset from the CD onto NODE2's system drive.

    At this point, you can copy the remaining savesets to the NODE2 drive
    and then reboot from node2's disk where the installation will then
    continue on its own

    OR

    After unpacking the B saveset, use SYSGEN with the USE
    disk:[sys0.sysexe]vaxvmssys.par, and set the cluster parameters, and
    also copy the cluster_authorize.dat file to the other drive. Then, when
    you reboot that node, it will try to join the cluster and have access to
    node1's disks and be able to mount the CD to continue the installation.

  11. Re: Installing VMS without a bootable CD-ROM drive

    David J Dachtera wrote:
    > Dumb question time: if VMS can read the CD drive, why will the machine not boot
    > from it?

    Because the firmware of the old machine may not see the device as
    bootable, while VMS with newer software, will see a mountable device.

  12. Re: Installing VMS without a bootable CD-ROM drive

    In article ,
    "Robert Jarratt" wrote:

    > I am going to trythe various backup methods but would like to do a scratch
    > install. Your reply seems to imply you think my CD-ROM drive is broken or
    > the medium is unreadable. Neither should be the case, as they were both
    > working quite recently. Should I expect to be able to do a MOUNT/OVER=ID on
    > the bootable CD with VMS on it?

    Yes, MOUNT/OVER=ID should work fine.

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  13. Re: Installing VMS without a bootable CD-ROM drive

    If you have a working RRD42 I would happily buy it.

    Regards

    Rob

    wrote in message
    > In article , "Robert Jarratt"
    > writes:
    >>

    >>Just to clarify, when I try to mount the CD I get %MOUNT-F-MEDOFL, medium
    >>is
    >>offline.

    > Others have pointed out, unless you want a different version of VMS than
    > that
    > which is on your M38, just BACKUP that system's disk to the driver from
    > that
    > VLC you install in the M38. I suggested STABACKIT but not that I think
    > about
    > it, it might not be necessary.
    >
    > If you need a CDrom drive, I might have one in my drive dump. Let me
    > know.
    >
    > --
    > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker
    > VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM
    >
    > "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"
    >
    > http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  14. Re: Installing VMS without a bootable CD-ROM drive

    I have resolved the problem where I could not mount the CD so I thought I
    would try this technique (ie backup/image of vms073.b from the CD). The
    problem is that I cannot find the saveset on the bootable CD, is it somehow
    "hidden"?

    Thanks

    Rob

    "David J Dachtera" wrote in message
    > Robert Jarratt wrote:
    >>
    >> I am a hobbyist and I have hardware limitations which mean that I need to
    >> get VMS 7.3 installed on a VAXstation 4000 VLC for which I do not have a
    >> bootable CD-ROM drive at present (working on this). I do however have a
    >> working VAXstation 3100 M38 running VMS 7.3.
    >>
    >> My thought was to temporarily put the disk from the VLC into the M38 and
    >> restore the backup saveset on the bootable VMS install CD to the VLC's
    >> disk.
    >> I do not have a bootable CD-ROM drive for the M38 either, but I do have a
    >> CD-ROM drive that VMS can read. I'd like to do the standalone restore of
    >> the
    >> VMS saveset to the VLC disk, from a running instance of VMS in the M38.
    >> Is
    >> this a valid way to do it? If not, is there a better way? When I try to
    >> mount the bootable CD in VMS it fails, I am not sure what options I
    >> should
    >> use. How should I get the initial saveset onto the VLC's disk?
    >>
    >> Also I don't remember if the VMS installation needed to read the CD again
    >> during the initial installation process, so even if I do get the saveset
    >> across and can then put the disk back into the VLC, will I be able to
    >> install VMS without needing further access to the CD-ROM drive?

    > Dumb question time: if VMS can read the CD drive, why will the machine not
    > boot
    > from it?
    >
    > As to the other question, you can simply BACKUP/IMAGE the VMS073.B saveset
    > from
    > the CD to the SCSI drive, then COPY the remaining VMS073.% savesets (use
    > /EXCLUDE=VMS073.B; - you won't need it) from the root of the CD to the
    > SCSI
    > drive, put it back into the VLC, boot it up and perform the install using
    > the
    > SCSI drive as both the install media and the destination.
    >
    > --
    > David J Dachtera
    > dba DJE Systems
    > http://www.djesys.com/
    >
    > Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/
    >
    > Unofficial Affordable OpenVMS Home Page:
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/
    >
    > Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/
    >
    > Unofficial OpenVMS Hobbyist Support Page:
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  15. Re: Installing VMS without a bootable CD-ROM drive

    In article , "Robert Jarratt" writes:

    >If you have a working RRD42 I would happily buy it.

    I have one RRD42 that sits in an ol InfoServer 150VXT.

    Why not an RRD45/46?

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  16. Re: Installing VMS without a bootable CD-ROM drive

    I know for sure that the RRD42 works because I borrowed one once. I have an
    RRD43 that the M38 will not boot from, so I am not sure that it will work
    with a 45 or 46.

    Regards

    Rob

    wrote in message
    > In article , "Robert Jarratt"
    > writes:
    >>

    >>If you have a working RRD42 I would happily buy it.

    > I have one RRD42 that sits in an ol InfoServer 150VXT.
    >
    > Why not an RRD45/46?
    >
    > --
    > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker
    > VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM
    >
    > "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"
    >
    > http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  17. Re: Installing VMS without a bootable CD-ROM drive

    Robert Jarratt wrote:
    > I am a hobbyist and I have hardware limitations which mean that I need to
    > get VMS 7.3 installed on a VAXstation 4000 VLC for which I do not have a
    > bootable CD-ROM drive at present (working on this). I do however have a
    > working VAXstation 3100 M38 running VMS 7.3.

    Last time I tried this, and even though my CD-ROM drive had the
    jumper it still didn't work. I copied the whole CD to a 1GB
    SCSI drive that I had sitting around and booted that one.
    It is probably faster than from the CD, too.

    You can probably copy it on VMS, but I used dd on a NetBSD system.

    -- glen

  18. Re: Installing VMS without a bootable CD-ROM drive

    On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Robert Jarratt wrote:

    > I have resolved the problem where I could not mount the CD so I
    > thought I would try this technique (ie backup/image of vms073.b from
    > the CD). The problem is that I cannot find the saveset on the
    > bootable CD, is it somehow "hidden"?

    Look in the [0,0] directory.

    --

    Rob Brown b r o w n a t g m c l d o t c o m
    G. Michaels Consulting Ltd. (780)438-9343 (voice)

  19. Re: Installing VMS without a bootable CD-ROM drive

    In article , "Robert Jarratt" writes:

    >If you have a working RRD42 I would happily buy it.

    I do. In a previous post I said it is in an Infoserver 150VXT. I suppose
    I could cannibalize the IS 150 for it as I really don't use it anyway. I
    still don't understand why you would NOT want a newer RRD device. I think
    I might have an M38 around here too. I will verify if a newer drive would
    function in it and then we can talk.

    Contact me off-line about it.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  20. Re: Installing VMS without a bootable CD-ROM drive

    In article , "Robert Jarratt" writes:
    > I am a hobbyist and I have hardware limitations which mean that I need to
    > get VMS 7.3 installed on a VAXstation 4000 VLC for which I do not have a
    > bootable CD-ROM drive at present (working on this). I do however have a
    > working VAXstation 3100 M38 running VMS 7.3.

    Much more straightfoward:

    Use sys$manager:cluster_config to set up a cluster with the 3100 as
    a boot server and the VLC as a satellite.

    Use the same command file to make a copy of the system disk on the
    VLC.

    Remove the extra root on the 3100 disk.

    Break down the cluster (or not), and set the VLC to boot from its
    local disk.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast