ES40's won't boot! - VMS

This is a discussion on ES40's won't boot! - VMS ; Long story made longer... Customer bought a pair of used ES40's for in-cabinet upgrades of a pair of AlphaServer 4100's. They're having scheduling difficulties, so they want to get the new equipment tested before the 30-day warrantee from the dealer ...

  1. ES40's won't boot!

    Long story made longer...

    Customer bought a pair of used ES40's for in-cabinet upgrades of a
    pair of AlphaServer 4100's. They're having scheduling difficulties, so
    they want to get the new equipment tested before the 30-day warrantee
    from the dealer expires next week.

    They also got a pair of MSA1000's, about 40 72GB disks, a pair of
    fiber switches and a pair of DS-KGPSA-DA fiber host interfaces for
    each ES40, which they would also like to test.

    They have an old, unused AlphaServer 4100 (VMS 7.3-2) that they
    wanted to use as a testbed. (Production systems are also 7.3-2.)
    Everything patched through UPDATE V11 (we could install UPDATE V12
    if needed, but at another site they've been running with MSA's
    and, until recently, much older patch levels, without any obvious
    problems.)

    I'm trying to diagnose this from 3000 miles away, and I'm on
    vacation, supposedly, starting today.

    Anyway, I walked the customer through configuring the MSA's,
    temporarily, as a pair of 1.5TB RAID5 sets partitioned into
    4 units of 750GB each. They installed 2 of the 4 HBA's in
    the AS4100, which sees them, but doesn't see the MSAs and
    produces an error on each FGA device at boot time. From
    some HSG80 docs I found at HP, it looks like the KGPSA-DA's
    aren't supported on AS4100's. Does anyone know for sure?
    At the dead sergeant, the AS4100 says the HBA's have an
    NVRAM formatting problem, and wwidmgr doesn't see any of
    the units.

    The ES40's power up and look okay at the console, and when
    they cabled the MSAs into one of them, ">>> show device"
    and wwidmgr show all 4 of the units, so I think that part's okay.

    But the ES40's (neither of them) will boot. They each
    have a KZPCM (dual SCSI plus Ethernet) in them, and using
    a spare external storageworks shelf, they've tried booting
    a copy of the AS4100's system disk, the actual AS4100
    system disk, and on the internal IDE CD drive, the
    VMS V7.3-1 distribution CD (they couldn't find V7.3-2,
    didn't look very hard), and the V6.x or V7.x (not sure what
    version they were trying, but something plenty recent enough
    to include ES40's) of the Alpha firmware CD.

    All 8 cases say something like "transferring to bootstrap"
    and then just hang. (Waited up to 20 minutes.) It sounds
    like they think they are successfully loading the boot
    from the disk (APB.EXE?) and then are getting stuck. They
    have to press the halt button to get the >>> back.

    So what stupid misconfiguration could be causing this? Or
    are both ES40's identically broken?

    (Every console variable I could think of seems to be okay.
    console is set to "serial". os_type is "OpenVMS". Boot
    flags, etc. seem to be correct. Memory seems to be okay
    (passes power-on self-test.)

    About 2 weeks ago, they upgraded another ES40 at another
    site (in-box upgrade of CPUs from 667MHz to 833MHz), added
    a new pair of MSA1000's to an existing pair, and had some
    weird CPU problems before they actually started, and HP
    had to reload the SROM from a floppy (fail-safe loader?)
    System had been up for many months, rebooted fine, but
    when HP tried a power-down and reboot, it broke. (This was
    before they touched anything.) The customer had HP do that
    upgrade; I have no idea why they decided to do this one
    themselves. Anyway, having the experienced HP guys onsite
    to do it dodged a major disaster in that case! Is this
    a common ES40 problem? Do we need to do the same thing
    to both the new ones?

    Could there be something (backplane jumper, etc.) putting
    them in "test mode" that just needs to be cleared or removed
    or reset?

    Some dumb configuration problem with the console terminal
    they are attempting to use (some kind of Wyse supposed
    VT320 emulator that they have zillions of?) They did
    report seeing some backwards question marks, which I would
    interpret as a parity or framing or character size problem,
    but it seems to be working okay in console mode. There
    were some console variables that seemed to reflect terminal
    characteristics, but they were 9600 baud, 8-bit, no parity,
    no modem control, I.e. pretty standard.

    If they could get one of the ES40's to boot, we could
    run some disk bashing tests on the MSA's before the
    warrantee expires. (Apparently their current H/W
    maint. vendor, not HP, won't put the new hardware under
    their maintenance agreement until it is demonstrated to
    be installed and working, and the clock is ticking on
    the seller's warrantee. Arggh!) (And why didn't they
    do this two or three weeks ago, before my vacation??)

    I'll try to check in over the next week, supposedly the
    vacation house (holiday house as my Aussie niece calls
    it) has WiFi...

    --
    John

  2. Re: ES40's won't boot!

    In article ,
    John Santos wrote:

    > So what stupid misconfiguration could be causing this? Or
    > are both ES40's identically broken?
    >
    > (Every console variable I could think of seems to be okay.
    > console is set to "serial". os_type is "OpenVMS". Boot
    > flags, etc. seem to be correct. Memory seems to be okay
    > (passes power-on self-test.)

    So the CONSOLE environment variable is SERIAL. Are you sure they are
    connected to the serial console port?

    Newer alphas (and I think this includes the ES40) have multiple serial
    ports. The console FW can talk to any of them. But only one of them is
    the "real" console that VMS will use.

    If there is another serial port on the system, have them try it. Maybe
    VMS is running perfectly well, and they just can't see the output.

    -- Robert

  3. Re: ES40's won't boot!

    In article , John Santos writes:
    > Long story made longer...
    >
    > Customer bought a pair of used ES40's for in-cabinet upgrades of a
    > pair of AlphaServer 4100's. They're having scheduling difficulties, so
    > they want to get the new equipment tested before the 30-day warrantee
    > from the dealer expires next week.
    >
    > They also got a pair of MSA1000's, about 40 72GB disks, a pair of
    > fiber switches and a pair of DS-KGPSA-DA fiber host interfaces for
    > each ES40, which they would also like to test.
    >
    > They have an old, unused AlphaServer 4100 (VMS 7.3-2) that they
    > wanted to use as a testbed. (Production systems are also 7.3-2.)
    > Everything patched through UPDATE V11 (we could install UPDATE V12
    > if needed, but at another site they've been running with MSA's
    > and, until recently, much older patch levels, without any obvious
    > problems.)
    >
    > I'm trying to diagnose this from 3000 miles away, and I'm on
    > vacation, supposedly, starting today.
    >
    > Anyway, I walked the customer through configuring the MSA's,
    > temporarily, as a pair of 1.5TB RAID5 sets partitioned into
    > 4 units of 750GB each. They installed 2 of the 4 HBA's in
    > the AS4100, which sees them, but doesn't see the MSAs and
    > produces an error on each FGA device at boot time. From
    > some HSG80 docs I found at HP, it looks like the KGPSA-DA's
    > aren't supported on AS4100's. Does anyone know for sure?
    > At the dead sergeant, the AS4100 says the HBA's have an
    > NVRAM formatting problem, and wwidmgr doesn't see any of
    > the units.

    I don't know if KGPSA-DA's are supported, but the NVRAM formatting
    message means the HBA NVRAM needs to be initialized. Does wwidmgr
    see them (i.e., does "-show adapter" list them)? If so, the
    wwidmgr command "-set adapter -item nn" (where nn is an item number
    displayed by the "-show adapter" command) should format the NVRAM.

    George Cook
    WVNET

  4. Re: ES40's won't boot!

    In article , cook@wvnvms.wvnet.edu says...
    > In article , John Santos writes:
    > > Long story made longer...
    > >
    > > Customer bought a pair of used ES40's for in-cabinet upgrades of a
    > > pair of AlphaServer 4100's. They're having scheduling difficulties, so
    > > they want to get the new equipment tested before the 30-day warrantee
    > > from the dealer expires next week.
    > >
    > > They also got a pair of MSA1000's, about 40 72GB disks, a pair of
    > > fiber switches and a pair of DS-KGPSA-DA fiber host interfaces for
    > > each ES40, which they would also like to test.
    > >
    > > They have an old, unused AlphaServer 4100 (VMS 7.3-2) that they
    > > wanted to use as a testbed. (Production systems are also 7.3-2.)
    > > Everything patched through UPDATE V11 (we could install UPDATE V12
    > > if needed, but at another site they've been running with MSA's
    > > and, until recently, much older patch levels, without any obvious
    > > problems.)
    > >
    > > I'm trying to diagnose this from 3000 miles away, and I'm on
    > > vacation, supposedly, starting today.
    > >
    > > Anyway, I walked the customer through configuring the MSA's,
    > > temporarily, as a pair of 1.5TB RAID5 sets partitioned into
    > > 4 units of 750GB each. They installed 2 of the 4 HBA's in
    > > the AS4100, which sees them, but doesn't see the MSAs and
    > > produces an error on each FGA device at boot time. From
    > > some HSG80 docs I found at HP, it looks like the KGPSA-DA's
    > > aren't supported on AS4100's. Does anyone know for sure?
    > > At the dead sergeant, the AS4100 says the HBA's have an
    > > NVRAM formatting problem, and wwidmgr doesn't see any of
    > > the units.

    > I don't know if KGPSA-DA's are supported, but the NVRAM formatting
    > message means the HBA NVRAM needs to be initialized. Does wwidmgr
    > see them (i.e., does "-show adapter" list them)? If so, the
    > wwidmgr command "-set adapter -item nn" (where nn is an item number
    > displayed by the "-show adapter" command) should format the NVRAM.

    Thanks, George. We tried this (on the AS4100), didn't seem to help.

    wwidmgr did list them, but with an NVRAM message for each. No such
    messages on the ES40. wwidmgr -set adapter -item 9999 (which IIUC
    means format the NVRAM on all the adapters), gave a message about
    an MBX problem. Hard to get the exact text, the cust was talking on
    a speaker phone in a very noisy computer room.

    I don't *think* the customer moved any of the "defective" KGPSA's
    back to the ES40's, but he may have. He is planning to do this
    on Monday.

    --
    John

  5. Re: ES40's won't boot!

    In article 207.uninet.net.mx>, rdeininger@mindspring.dot.com says...
    > In article ,
    > John Santos wrote:

    > > So what stupid misconfiguration could be causing this? Or
    > > are both ES40's identically broken?
    > >
    > > (Every console variable I could think of seems to be okay.
    > > console is set to "serial". os_type is "OpenVMS". Boot
    > > flags, etc. seem to be correct. Memory seems to be okay
    > > (passes power-on self-test.)

    > So the CONSOLE environment variable is SERIAL. Are you sure they are
    > connected to the serial console port?

    Yes, I think so. There are two DB9 connectors on the back of
    each ES40. They tried one and can talk to the SRM console
    (until it all goes away when they try to boot.) When they plug
    their terminal into the other DB9, they don't get any response.

    > Newer alphas (and I think this includes the ES40) have multiple serial
    > ports. The console FW can talk to any of them. But only one of them is
    > the "real" console that VMS will use.
    >
    > If there is another serial port on the system, have them try it. Maybe
    > VMS is running perfectly well, and they just can't see the output.

    That's possible...

    However, it wasn't running "perfectly well", since they had plugged
    the AS4100's Ethernet cable into it, and it doesn't respond to pings,
    SET HOST or LAT. It could be that the port is at the wrong speed.
    EWA0_MODE was set to "twisted-pair" and the AS4100 was "FastFD" and the
    Cisco switch may be locked down at 100MB Full Duplex. However, I told
    them to change EWA0_MODE to FastFD, and they claim they did this, though
    they were getting very tetchy by this point (and so was I, since I
    was missing my Birthday dinner), so they might have been lying, or
    mistyped the command and it didn't take effect.

    Once VMS was up, shouldn't the "wrong" DB9 port come up as TTA0:
    and respond to a couple of 's with a USERNAME: prompt?

    And if they were plugged into the "wrong" DB9, shouldn't they
    have gotten some response on the "right" one? (Either in console
    mode, or after VMS came up and it turned into OPA0:?)

    --
    John

  6. Re: ES40's won't boot!

    John Santos wrote:

    > In article , cook@wvnvms.wvnet.edu says...
    > > In article , John Santos writes:
    > > > Long story made longer...
    > > >
    > > > Customer bought a pair of used ES40's for in-cabinet upgrades of a
    > > > pair of AlphaServer 4100's. They're having scheduling difficulties, so
    > > > they want to get the new equipment tested before the 30-day warrantee
    > > > from the dealer expires next week.
    > > >
    > > > They also got a pair of MSA1000's, about 40 72GB disks, a pair of
    > > > fiber switches and a pair of DS-KGPSA-DA fiber host interfaces for
    > > > each ES40, which they would also like to test.
    > > >
    > > > They have an old, unused AlphaServer 4100 (VMS 7.3-2) that they
    > > > wanted to use as a testbed. (Production systems are also 7.3-2.)
    > > > Everything patched through UPDATE V11 (we could install UPDATE V12
    > > > if needed, but at another site they've been running with MSA's
    > > > and, until recently, much older patch levels, without any obvious
    > > > problems.)
    > > >
    > > > I'm trying to diagnose this from 3000 miles away, and I'm on
    > > > vacation, supposedly, starting today.
    > > >
    > > > Anyway, I walked the customer through configuring the MSA's,
    > > > temporarily, as a pair of 1.5TB RAID5 sets partitioned into
    > > > 4 units of 750GB each. They installed 2 of the 4 HBA's in
    > > > the AS4100, which sees them, but doesn't see the MSAs and
    > > > produces an error on each FGA device at boot time. From
    > > > some HSG80 docs I found at HP, it looks like the KGPSA-DA's
    > > > aren't supported on AS4100's. Does anyone know for sure?
    > > > At the dead sergeant, the AS4100 says the HBA's have an
    > > > NVRAM formatting problem, and wwidmgr doesn't see any of
    > > > the units.

    > > I don't know if KGPSA-DA's are supported, but the NVRAM formatting
    > > message means the HBA NVRAM needs to be initialized. Does wwidmgr
    > > see them (i.e., does "-show adapter" list them)? If so, the
    > > wwidmgr command "-set adapter -item nn" (where nn is an item number
    > > displayed by the "-show adapter" command) should format the NVRAM.

    > Thanks, George. We tried this (on the AS4100), didn't seem to help.
    >
    > wwidmgr did list them, but with an NVRAM message for each. No such
    > messages on the ES40. wwidmgr -set adapter -item 9999 (which IIUC
    > means format the NVRAM on all the adapters), gave a message about
    > an MBX problem. Hard to get the exact text, the cust was talking on
    > a speaker phone in a very noisy computer room.
    >
    > I don't *think* the customer moved any of the "defective" KGPSA's
    > back to the ES40's, but he may have. He is planning to do this
    > on Monday.

    Trying to recall past discussions here... AFAIK, 4100s have very limited (or no)
    FC support.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  7. Re: ES40's won't boot!

    Malcolm Dunnett wrote:
    > John Santos wrote:
    >

    >> Yes, I think so. There are two DB9 connectors on the back of
    >> each ES40. They tried one and can talk to the SRM console
    >> (until it all goes away when they try to boot.) When they plug
    >> their terminal into the other DB9, they don't get any response.
    >>

    > The "real" console on the ES40 is neither of these, it's an MMJ
    > that is located above those ports.

    I bet that's it! Thank you, Malcolm.

    >> However, it wasn't running "perfectly well", since they had plugged
    >> the AS4100's Ethernet cable into it, and it doesn't respond to pings,
    >> SET HOST or LAT. It could be that the port is at the wrong speed.

    > It could be that VMS has stopped in the boot process to ask you to
    > set the clock (this prompt coming out on the MMJ connector )

    Could be. I had them typing blind date & time strings at the "console",
    just in case, but of course, there was no response.

    They are absolutely convinced the serial console doesn't work under VMS,
    which is of course nonsense, and are planning to try to install the
    VGA card from the 4100 in one of the ES40's on Monday and try again.

    If the MMJ is in fact the console, then this will probably work, and
    they'll never believe that wasn't the problem. Oh well, as long as it
    works :-(

    --
    John Santos
    Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.

  8. Re: ES40's won't boot!

    On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 21:36:05 -0700, John Santos wrote:

    > Malcolm Dunnett wrote:
    >> John Santos wrote:
    >>

    >>> Yes, I think so. There are two DB9 connectors on the back of
    >>> each ES40. They tried one and can talk to the SRM console
    >>> (until it all goes away when they try to boot.) When they plug
    >>> their terminal into the other DB9, they don't get any response.
    >>>

    >> The "real" console on the ES40 is neither of these, it's an MMJ
    >> that is located above those ports.
    >>

    > I bet that's it! Thank you, Malcolm.
    >
    >>> However, it wasn't running "perfectly well", since they had plugged
    >>> the AS4100's Ethernet cable into it, and it doesn't respond to pings,
    >>> SET HOST or LAT. It could be that the port is at the wrong speed.

    >> It could be that VMS has stopped in the boot process to ask you to
    >> set the clock (this prompt coming out on the MMJ connector )
    >>

    > Could be. I had them typing blind date & time strings at the "console",
    > just in case, but of course, there was no response.
    >

    > They are absolutely convinced the serial console doesn't work under VMS,
    > which is of course nonsense, and are planning to try to install the
    > VGA card from the 4100 in one of the ES40's on Monday and try again.
    >
    > If the MMJ is in fact the console, then this will probably work, and
    > they'll never believe that wasn't the problem. Oh well, as long as it
    > works :-(

    The console is one of the DB9 ports.

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  9. Re: ES40's won't boot!

    Tom Linden wrote:

    > On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 21:36:05 -0700, John Santos wrote:
    >
    > > Malcolm Dunnett wrote:

    > >> The "real" console on the ES40 is neither of these, it's an MMJ
    > >> that is located above those ports.
    > >>

    > > I bet that's it! Thank you, Malcolm.

    > >> It could be that VMS has stopped in the boot process to ask you to
    > >> set the clock (this prompt coming out on the MMJ connector )
    > >>

    > > Could be. I had them typing blind date & time strings at the "console",
    > > just in case, but of course, there was no response.
    > >

    > > They are absolutely convinced the serial console doesn't work under VMS,
    > > which is of course nonsense, and are planning to try to install the
    > > VGA card from the 4100 in one of the ES40's on Monday and try again.
    > >
    > > If the MMJ is in fact the console, then this will probably work, and
    > > they'll never believe that wasn't the problem. Oh well, as long as it
    > > works :-(

    > The console is one of the DB9 ports.

    ES40 and ES45 both default to their MMJ port as the serial console.

    Bumped my head on that when we got our ES45. I was expecting it to NOT have the
    MMJ port like the ES40 - I was wrong. It did, and it was(is).

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems
    http://www.djesys.com/

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  10. Re: ES40's won't boot!

    On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 12:52:07 -0700, Malcolm Dunnett
    wrote:

    > Tom Linden wrote:
    >
    >>> If the MMJ is in fact the console, then this will probably work, and
    >>> they'll never believe that wasn't the problem. Oh well, as long as it
    >>> works :-(

    >> The console is one of the DB9 ports.

    > Sorry, that's not correct (It would be for a DS10/DS20
    > but not for an ES40 ). On the ES40 it's the MMJ (trust
    > me, I've made the same mistake myself! )

    Works for me.

    When I got my ES40s I plugged a cable into on of the DB9 ports (without
    having consulted the documentation) and it gave me the familiar

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  11. Re: ES40's won't boot!

    > Works for me.
    >
    > When I got my ES40s I plugged a cable into on of the DB9 ports (without
    > having consulted the documentation) and it gave me the familiar

    It still isn't the real console. When SRM is running, it will issue a
    prompt and accept commands on all three serial interfaces. Once you
    start the boot sequence, only the real console will be active. The
    other two serial lines will be unusable until VMS is running. This is
    what the original poster saw.

    I believe (though I haven't tried it) that

    - VMS can only be halted by CTRL/P on the real console.
    - RMC only works on the real console.

    Tom Wade | EMail: tee dot wade at eurokom dot ie
    EuroKom | Tel: +353 (1) 296-9696
    A2, Nutgrove Office Park | Fax: +353 (1) 296-9697
    Rathfarnham | Disclaimer: This is not a disclaimer
    Dublin 14 | Tip: "Friends don't let friends do Unix !"
    Ireland

  12. Re: ES40's won't boot!

    In article ,
    Tom Wade wrote:

    > > Works for me.
    > >
    > > When I got my ES40s I plugged a cable into on of the DB9 ports (without
    > > having consulted the documentation) and it gave me the familiar

    > It still isn't the real console. When SRM is running, it will issue a
    > prompt and accept commands on all three serial interfaces. Once you
    > start the boot sequence, only the real console will be active. The
    > other two serial lines will be unusable until VMS is running. This is
    > what the original poster saw.
    >
    > I believe (though I haven't tried it) that
    >
    > - VMS can only be halted by CTRL/P on the real console.
    > - RMC only works on the real console.

    IIRC, this mirrors what I have seen on my PWS 600au. With the console
    set to serial, I can see the chevron prompt and boot. However, if I am
    connected to the wrong port, it appears that the startup has stalled,
    when in fact the output messages are going to the real console line.

    If all is well with the startup, you can eventually log in on the second
    port or via the network, but if the startup barfs, you don't see what
    happened.

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  13. Re: ES40's won't boot!

    On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 07:26:19 -0700, Tom Wade
    wrote:

    >> Works for me.
    >> When I got my ES40s I plugged a cable into on of the DB9 ports (without
    >> having consulted the documentation) and it gave me the familiar

    > It still isn't the real console. When SRM is running, it will issue a
    > prompt and accept commands on all three serial interfaces. Once you
    > start the boot sequence, only the real console will be active. The
    > other two serial lines will be unusable until VMS is running. This is
    > what the original poster saw.
    >
    > I believe (though I haven't tried it) that
    >
    > - VMS can only be halted by CTRL/P on the real console.
    > - RMC only works on the real console.

    I will try it out when I get a chance

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  14. Re: ES40's won't boot!

    On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 08:06:25 -0700, Tom Linden wrote:

    > On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 07:26:19 -0700, Tom Wade
    > wrote:
    >

    >>> Works for me.
    >>> When I got my ES40s I plugged a cable into on of the DB9 ports
    >>> (without
    >>> having consulted the documentation) and it gave me the familiar

    >> It still isn't the real console. When SRM is running, it will issue a
    >> prompt and accept commands on all three serial interfaces. Once you
    >> start the boot sequence, only the real console will be active. The
    >> other two serial lines will be unusable until VMS is running. This is
    >> what the original poster saw.
    >>
    >> I believe (though I haven't tried it) that
    >>
    >> - VMS can only be halted by CTRL/P on the real console.
    >> - RMC only works on the real console.
    >>

    > I will try it out when I get a chance

    I attached a cable to the MMJ port and one to COM1
    The MMJ port prints the message "Remote login or bypas RMC" and reprints
    the
    message no matter which key is struck, including ^P, ^c, ^Z
    The COM1 port prints the usual POST stuff and ends with the >>> prompt, but
    when booting it is unresponsive to ^P

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  15. Re: ES40's won't boot!

    On Jul 30, 4:21 pm, "Tom Linden" wrote:
    > On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 08:06:25 -0700, Tom Linden wrote:

    > >> It still isn't the real console. When SRM is running, it will issue a
    > >> prompt and accept commands on all three serial interfaces. Once you
    > >> start the boot sequence, only the real console will be active. The
    > >> other two serial lines will be unusable until VMS is running. This is
    > >> what the original poster saw.

    > >> I believe (though I haven't tried it) that

    > >> - VMS can only be halted by CTRL/P on the real console.
    > >> - RMC only works on the real console.

    > > I will try it out when I get a chance

    > I attached a cable to the MMJ port and one to COM1
    > The MMJ port prints the message "Remote login or bypas RMC" and reprints
    > the
    > message no matter which key is struck, including ^P, ^c, ^Z
    > The COM1 port prints the usual POST stuff and ends with the >>> prompt, but
    > when booting it is unresponsive to ^P
    >

    > >> ---------------------------------------------------------
    > >> Tom Wade | EMail: tee dot wade at eurokom dot ie
    > >> EuroKom | Tel: +353 (1) 296-9696
    > >> A2, Nutgrove Office Park | Fax: +353 (1) 296-9697
    > >> Rathfarnham | Disclaimer: This is not a disclaimer
    > >> Dublin 14 | Tip: "Friends don't let friends do Unix !"
    > >> Ireland

    > --
    > PL/I for OpenVMSwww.kednos.com

    I don't have an ES40. That said, the docs indicate comm port 1 is
    dedicated port for a modem connection to a remote management console,
    comm port 2 is a general serial port, and the MMJ is the console.

    Is it possible there's a setting that makes the ES40 prefer the
    'remote management console' port?

    Have you tried entering the RMC on the console ( "rmc" if I
    remember correctly)?

    Have you checked the COM1_MODE environment variable? It may be set to
    one of the alternate data modes defined around page 96 in the manual
    linked earlier ( http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserve...s40og_revb.pdf
    )

    Do you have a PS2 keyboard plugged in?

    Thats all I can think of.

  16. Re: ES40's won't boot!

    On 30 Jul, 23:49, Rich Jordan wrote:
    > On Jul 30, 4:21 pm, "Tom Linden" wrote:
    >

    > > On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 08:06:25 -0700, Tom Linden wrote:

    > > > I will try it out when I get a chance

    > > I attached a cable to the MMJ port and one to COM1
    > > The MMJ port prints the message "Remote login or bypas RMC" and reprints
    > > the
    > > message no matter which key is struck, including ^P, ^c, ^Z
    > > The COM1 port prints the usual POST stuff and ends with the >>> prompt, but
    > > when booting it is unresponsive to ^P

    > > --
    > > PL/I for OpenVMSwww.kednos.com

    > I don't have an ES40. That said, the docs indicate comm port 1 is
    > dedicated port for a modem connection to a remote management console,
    > comm port 2 is a general serial port, and the MMJ is the console.
    >
    > Is it possible there's a setting that makes the ES40 prefer the
    > 'remote management console' port?
    >
    > Have you tried entering the RMC on the console ( "rmc" if I
    > remember correctly)?
    >
    > Have you checked the COM1_MODE environment variable? It may be set to
    > one of the alternate data modes defined around page 96 in the manual
    > linked earlier ( http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserve...s40og_revb.pdf
    > )
    >
    > Do you have a PS2 keyboard plugged in?
    >
    > Thats all I can think of.- Hide quoted text -

    On the subject of PS2 keyboards, I've seen two ES47s hang in the
    manner described when they had non-HP VMS-style keyboards on them.
    Get a banner for VMS booting and then nothing else.

    Steve

  17. Re: ES40's won't boot!

    Tom Wade wrote:

    >> Works for me.
    >>
    >> When I got my ES40s I plugged a cable into on of the DB9 ports (without
    >> having consulted the documentation) and it gave me the familiar

    > It still isn't the real console. When SRM is running, it will issue a
    > prompt and accept commands on all three serial interfaces. Once you
    > start the boot sequence, only the real console will be active. The
    > other two serial lines will be unusable until VMS is running. This is
    > what the original poster saw.
    >
    > I believe (though I haven't tried it) that
    >
    > - VMS can only be halted by CTRL/P on the real console.
    > - RMC only works on the real console.

    Thanks to all. They got the ES40 to boot by plugging a CRT into the
    MMJ port. It turned out it was waiting for the date/time to be
    entered. Once booted, the CRT on the MMJ could log in and its terminal
    port shows up as OPA0:, so the MMJ is definitely the console.

    --
    John Santos
    Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.

  18. Re: ES40's won't boot!

    On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 16:28:43 -0700, John Santos wrote:

    > Tom Wade wrote:
    >>
    >>> Works for me.
    >>>
    >>> When I got my ES40s I plugged a cable into on of the DB9 ports (without
    >>> having consulted the documentation) and it gave me the familiar

    >> It still isn't the real console. When SRM is running, it will issue
    >> a prompt and accept commands on all three serial interfaces. Once you
    >> start the boot sequence, only the real console will be active. The
    >> other two serial lines will be unusable until VMS is running. This is
    >> what the original poster saw.
    >> I believe (though I haven't tried it) that
    >> - VMS can only be halted by CTRL/P on the real console.
    >> - RMC only works on the real console.
    >>

    > Thanks to all. They got the ES40 to boot by plugging a CRT into the
    > MMJ port. It turned out it was waiting for the date/time to be
    > entered. Once booted, the CRT on the MMJ could log in and its terminal
    > port shows up as OPA0:, so the MMJ is definitely the console.

    Not on mine, it is one of the D9's, but someone commented that this may be
    configured

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com