unable to dispaly actual used size after RMS CONVERT to an indexed file - VMS

This is a discussion on unable to dispaly actual used size after RMS CONVERT to an indexed file - VMS ; Hi there, I have a 73-2 system, after patch RMS-V0300 or update v0900, RMS convert command lost the ablity to tell the actual size of the file converted.(this only affect indexed file). It was able to show that before the ...

  1. unable to dispaly actual used size after RMS CONVERT to an indexed file

    Hi there,
    I have a 73-2 system, after patch RMS-V0300 or update v0900, RMS
    convert command lost the ablity to tell the actual size of the file
    converted.(this only affect indexed file). It was able to show that
    before the patch. Following are repro steps.

    Does anybody experience this and know how to get the actual size?
    Appreciated.

    $ type t.fdl
    FILE
    NAME XXXX.ISM
    ORGANIZATION indexed
    PROTECTION (system:RWED, owner:RWED, group:R,
    world
    RECORD
    FORMAT fixed
    SIZE 109

    AREA 0
    ALLOCATION 10008
    BEST_TRY_CONTIGUOUS yes
    BUCKET_SIZE 3
    EXTENSION 1000
    KEY 0
    TYPE string
    Seg0_Position 0
    Seg0_Length 32
    NAME PRCDID
    DUPLICATES no
    INDEX_AREA 0
    DATA_AREA 0
    INDEX_FILL 90
    Prologue 3
    Data_Key_Comp NO ! No Compression
    Data_Record_Comp NO ! No Compression
    Index_Comp NO ! No Compression

    $ create/fdl=t.fdl t.ism
    $ type t.ism
    $ convert t.ism t1.ism
    $ convert/fdl=t.fdl t.ism t2.ism
    $ dir/size=all t*.ism
    T.ISM;1 10008/10008
    T1.ISM;1 10008/10008
    T2.ISM;1 10008/10008
    Total of 3 files, 30024/30024 blocks.
    $

  2. Re: unable to dispaly actual used size after RMS CONVERT to an indexed file

    On Jul 27, 7:10 pm, 51 wrote:

    > $ create/fdl=t.fdl t.ism
    > $ type t.ism
    > $ convert t.ism t1.ism
    > $ convert/fdl=t.fdl t.ism t2.ism
    > $ dir/size=all t*.ism
    > T.ISM;1 10008/10008
    > T1.ISM;1 10008/10008
    > T2.ISM;1 10008/10008
    > Total of 3 files, 30024/30024 blocks.
    > $

    I'm not sure about the first line of your procedure. Should't it be
    something like this:

    $ ana/rms/fdl=t.fdl t.ism

    You many also want to do this as a second step:

    $ edit/fdl t (then select INVOKE then select OPTIMIZE)

    Neil Rieck
    Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge,
    Ontario, Canada.
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/

  3. Re: unable to dispaly actual used size after RMS CONVERT to an indexedfile

    51 wrote:
    > Hi there,
    > I have a 73-2 system, after patch RMS-V0300 or update v0900, RMS
    > convert command lost the ablity to tell the actual size of the file
    > converted.(this only affect indexed file). It was able to show that
    > before the patch.

    End-Of-File pointer behavior has had anomalies for indexed files for
    quite a while. There was a change in behavior with this patch,
    presumably to try to correct other problems related to inconsistent
    End-Of-File pointers on indexed files. Before the patch, the End-Of-File
    marker was getting set to relative the last block in use after the
    $CONVERT. After the patch, the End-of-File pointer gets set relative to
    the actual end of the space allocated (and thus usable by RMS) within
    the file.

    Most folks who depended on the earlier behavior likely did so to find
    out how much space had been saved as a result of the $CONVERT. If you
    were to edit the FDL file used for the $CONVERT and delete the
    ALLOCATION quantity lines, the $CONVERT will create a new file of just
    the size needed for the data, and you'll be able to see exactly how much
    space you saved.

    So try adding something like these lines before your $CONVERT/FDL:
    $ EDIT/EDT/NOCOMMAND t.fdl
    d all "ALLOCATION"
    exit

+ Reply to Thread