Hung TCPware or what? - VMS

This is a discussion on Hung TCPware or what? - VMS ; One of my MicroVAX 3100 Model 80's hung in HK recently. I can PING it, but cannot open a terminal session. All my MicroVAX systems are running TCPware 5.3-3. Here's what a telnet effort looks like: $ telnet ftnd22 %TCPWARE_TELNET-I-TRYING, ...

  1. Hung TCPware or what?

    One of my MicroVAX 3100 Model 80's hung in HK recently. I can PING it,
    but cannot open a terminal session.

    All my MicroVAX systems are running TCPware 5.3-3.

    Here's what a telnet effort looks like:

    $ telnet ftnd22
    %TCPWARE_TELNET-I-TRYING, trying XXXXXX,telnet (x.x.x.x,23) ...
    %TCPWARE_TELNET-I-ESCCHR, escape (attention) character is "^\"

    TELNET> SHOW STAT
    Client-TELNET V5.3-3 Copyright (c) 1998 Process Software Corporation

    Connected session:
    -->1. XXXXXX, telnet (x.x.x.x,23).

    Local flow control: ON
    "^\" is the escape (attention) character.

    TELNET> QUIT
    Interrupt

    $

    If I run NETCU SHOW CONN from another session on the client system I
    see the the session is "ESTABLISHED". But after typing QUIT and before
    ^Y it reports the state as FIN-WAIT-2.

    I'm still waiting for my HK compatriot to set up a console session for
    me so I can force a crash dump. But until that happens, does anyone
    care to speculate as to what has happened?

    Thanks!

    AEF

  2. Re: Hung TCPware or what?

    AEF wrote:

    > One of my MicroVAX 3100 Model 80's hung in HK recently. I can PING it,
    > but cannot open a terminal session.

    This is likely something other than an IP stack issue.

    When it's happened to me, VMS was severly resource starved to over-allocation of
    memory, pagefile, ... just about everything.

    I was able to use SYSMAN from another node and find that SHOW SYSTEM listed
    almost every process in the system is some sort of resource wait state, the most
    common being FPW (Free Page Wait).

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  3. Re: Hung TCPware or what?

    On Jul 28, 3:40 pm, David J Dachtera
    wrote:
    > AEF wrote:
    >
    > > One of my MicroVAX 3100 Model 80's hung in HK recently. I can PING it,
    > > but cannot open a terminal session.

    > This is likely something other than an IP stack issue.
    >
    > When it's happened to me, VMS was severly resource starved to over-allocation of
    > memory, pagefile, ... just about everything.
    >
    > I was able to use SYSMAN from another node and find that SHOW SYSTEM listed
    > almost every process in the system is some sort of resource wait state, the most
    > common being FPW (Free Page Wait).

    Really? You couldn't open a terminal session but you could run
    commands via SYSMAN?

    Krap, I don't have SMISERVER running on this node. (I have no
    VMSclusters, remember)

    Thanks for the word. I'm still waiting for my colleague in Hong Kong
    to set up a console session.

    > --
    > David J Dachtera

    [...]

    AEF

  4. Re: Hung TCPware or what?

    In article <1185544402.944836.191180@r34g2000hsd.googlegroups. com>, AEF writes:
    > One of my MicroVAX 3100 Model 80's hung in HK recently. I can PING it,
    > but cannot open a terminal session.

    [...]

    > I'm still waiting for my HK compatriot to set up a console session for
    > me so I can force a crash dump. But until that happens, does anyone
    > care to speculate as to what has happened?

    Ran out of some resource. Crash dump analysis can tell you which.
    There may be a message on the console telling you which, if there's a
    real console.

  5. Re: Hung TCPware or what?

    In article <1185711179.914513.277930@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.c om>, AEF writes:

    > Krap, I don't have SMISERVER running on this node. (I have no
    > VMSclusters, remember)

    You can run SYSMAN over DECnet if you're not in a cluster, but it
    may need the same resource TELNET does. Might be worth a try.

    Or maybe you can poke around via DECnet task 0 (if you can to a
    system that has DECnet access to the hung system).

+ Reply to Thread