I guess I wasn't clear. The answer is no, you don't have to. SuSE for
example, is available on
x86, AMD64,, Intel EMT64, Itanium, IBM Power, zSeries, and s/390. That means
all the normal applications
are compiled for an included with it as well.

Many many third party apps are available, including as has been pointed out,
Oracle, DB2, SAP, and others.
Here for example, is a list of -> developer <- third party products for
zSeries Linux; and that is if anything, the last platform most Linux vendors
support.

The list is quite extensive, and far from all inclusive.

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/solu...uxproduct.html

-Paul