VMS Audio Update - Episode #10 available... - VMS

This is a discussion on VMS Audio Update - Episode #10 available... - VMS ; This was posted on OpenVMS.org July 17th. --------------------------------------- VMS Audio Update - Episode #10 In this episode, we'll cover some of the news highlights from the last two months since the last update, and give you some of the audio ...

  1. VMS Audio Update - Episode #10 available...

    This was posted on OpenVMS.org July 17th.

    ---------------------------------------

    VMS Audio Update - Episode #10

    In this episode, we'll cover some of the news highlights from the last two
    months since the last update, and give you some of the audio recorded by
    Marty during the partner roundhouse at the VMS Bootcamp.

    Links for the news items:

    # To download the VMS Technical journal V10:
    http://www.hp.com/go/openvms/journal

    # The whitepaper from Techwise "Quantifying the Total Cost of Ownership for
    Entry-Level and Mid-Range Server Clusters" is available from the HP OpenVMS
    Whitepaper web page

    # To see the exploding datacentre video go to:
    http://www.hp.com/go/disasterproof

    # For more about the VT510 replacement terminals and new disk drives then
    visit the Nemonix Engineering website

    # Read about OpenVMS v8.3 support for HP BladeSystems c-Class Integrity
    Blade (BL860c) on the OpenVMS on Blades web site

    # Go the the HP CIFS field test web site to download the kit and try it out
    today.

    # To obtain your free copy of Tier3 non-commercial, right-to-use license
    simply e-mail your request, including your preference for a VAX or Alpha
    kit, to Tier3(at)aapt.net.au.

    # Java Remote Desktop Protocol Client (JavaRDP) for OpenVMS is available for
    fownload from Thierry Uso Free VMS Web site

    # Download cURL for VMS from:
    http://curl.haxx.se/download.html#VMS

    # Read further information Artisic Style and download the software from the
    homepage on sourceforge.
    Questions concerning the OpenVMS port can be directed to Jim Duff via the
    contact page on his website: http://www.eight-cubed.com

    # Mercurial 0.9.4 is available for download at:
    http://selenic.com/mercurial/release

    # GnuPG Version 1.2-4 for OpenVMS AlphaServer systems and Integrity servers
    is now available from the GnuPG for OpenVMS home page

    # Xpdf 3.02 PCSI packages available for OpenVMS/Alpha at:
    http://frank.harvard.edu/~coldwell/vms/xpdf.html

    # For more on the OpenVMS advanced technical bootcamp visit the website:
    http://www.hp.com/go/openvms/bootcamp

    Companies mentioned in the recording from the bootcamp partner roundhouse

    * trendsthatmatter
    * Cipersoft Inc
    * Quayle Consulting Inc.
    * Integrated Computer Solutions (ICS)
    * LJK Software
    * Process Software Inc
    * BRUDEN OSSG
    * Nemoenix Engineering

    Feedback always welcome via:
    http://www.openvms.org/feedback

    We'd like to thank all the contributers to this podcast.

    Special thanks to Jeff Palmer and Greg Freeman of the band Checksum for
    letting VAU use cuts from their CD Grey Ghost royalty free.

    Ken
    __________________________________
    Kenneth R. Farmer < 336-736-7376
    www.OpenVMS.org

  2. Re: VMS Audio Update - Episode #10 available...

    Ken Farmer wrote:
    > Special thanks to Jeff Palmer and Greg Freeman of the band Checksum for
    > letting VAU use cuts from their CD Grey Ghost royalty free.

    Does this mean that the RIAA will not attempt to sue anyone listening to
    this music ? Or would they complain that since they were not involved in
    this transaction, the later cannot possibly be legitimate and hence it
    would be justified in sending its laywer hounds after listeners ?

    :-) :-) :-)

  3. Re: VMS Audio Update - Episode #10 available...

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > Ken Farmer wrote:
    >
    >> Special thanks to Jeff Palmer and Greg Freeman of the band Checksum
    >> for letting VAU use cuts from their CD Grey Ghost royalty free.

    > Does this mean that the RIAA will not attempt to sue anyone listening to
    > this music ? Or would they complain that since they were not involved in
    > this transaction, the later cannot possibly be legitimate and hence it
    > would be justified in sending its laywer hounds after listeners ?
    >
    > :-) :-) :-)

    It depends on who OWNS the Copyright or, perhaps, who has been granted a
    license to use the Copyrighted material. If Jeff and Greg own the
    rights or have authority to act for those who do, the RIAA has nothing
    to say about it!

    I'm hardly an expert but I believe that RIAA is "Recording Industry
    Artists Association" and that it manages copyright licensing on behalf
    of its members. If a radio station wants to play a copyrighted
    selection, they might go to the RIAA for permission to play it. They
    would pay a royalty for each time it was played on the air. The RIAA
    would collect a percentage for its services and pay the balance to the
    artists.

    The RIAA does not have exclusive rights in this field. I just checked a
    small sample and found "(C) Angel Records" on some of my recordings. If
    I were a broadcaster and wanted to broadcast such a recording I would
    need permission from Angel and would almost certainly have to pay for
    the privilege, just as I would if the RIAA held, or managed, the copyright.

  4. Re: VMS Audio Update - Episode #10 available...

    "JF Mezei" wrote in message
    > Ken Farmer wrote:
    >> Special thanks to Jeff Palmer and Greg Freeman of the band Checksum for
    >> letting VAU use cuts from their CD Grey Ghost royalty free.

    > Does this mean that the RIAA will not attempt to sue anyone listening to
    > this music ? Or would they complain that since they were not involved in
    > this transaction, the later cannot possibly be legitimate and hence it
    > would be justified in sending its laywer hounds after listeners ?
    >
    > :-) :-) :-)

    I really don't know enough to discuss it intelligently, just barely enough
    to stay out of trouble...I think.

    Marty is buddies with these guys and I believe they appreciate the exposure.

    Homepage: http://www.checksummusic.com/
    Buy "Grey Ghost": http://cdbaby.com/cd/checksum

    Ken
    __________________________________
    Kenneth R. Farmer < 336-736-7376
    www.OpenVMS.org

  5. Re: VMS Audio Update - Episode #10 available...

    In article <46A80DB2.4050302@comcast.net>, "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:

    >JF Mezei wrote:
    >> Ken Farmer wrote:
    >>
    >>> Special thanks to Jeff Palmer and Greg Freeman of the band Checksum
    >>> for letting VAU use cuts from their CD Grey Ghost royalty free.

    >> Does this mean that the RIAA will not attempt to sue anyone listening to
    >> this music ? Or would they complain that since they were not involved in
    >> this transaction, the later cannot possibly be legitimate and hence it
    >> would be justified in sending its laywer hounds after listeners ?
    >>
    >> :-) :-) :-)

    >It depends on who OWNS the Copyright or, perhaps, who has been granted a
    >license to use the Copyrighted material. If Jeff and Greg own the
    >rights or have authority to act for those who do, the RIAA has nothing
    >to say about it!
    >
    >I'm hardly an expert but I believe that RIAA is "Recording Industry
    >Artists Association" and that it manages copyright licensing on behalf

    RIAA is the Recording Industry Association of America. It represents
    recording labels and distributors and not the artists who created the
    music.

    >of its members. If a radio station wants to play a copyrighted
    >selection, they might go to the RIAA for permission to play it. They
    >would pay a royalty for each time it was played on the air. The RIAA
    >would collect a percentage for its services and pay the balance to the
    >artists.
    >
    >The RIAA does not have exclusive rights in this field. I just checked a
    >small sample and found "(C) Angel Records" on some of my recordings. If
    >I were a broadcaster and wanted to broadcast such a recording I would
    >need permission from Angel and would almost certainly have to pay for
    >the privilege, just as I would if the RIAA held, or managed, the copyright.

    Not necessarily true if Angel Records is a member of the RIAA.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  6. Re: VMS Audio Update - Episode #10 available...

    In article <46a84b59$0$4865$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, "Ken Farmer" writes:

    >"JF Mezei" wrote in message
    >> Ken Farmer wrote:
    >>> Special thanks to Jeff Palmer and Greg Freeman of the band Checksum for
    >>> letting VAU use cuts from their CD Grey Ghost royalty free.

    >> Does this mean that the RIAA will not attempt to sue anyone listening to
    >> this music ? Or would they complain that since they were not involved in
    >> this transaction, the later cannot possibly be legitimate and hence it
    >> would be justified in sending its laywer hounds after listeners ?
    >>
    >> :-) :-) :-)

    >I really don't know enough to discuss it intelligently, just barely enough
    >to stay out of trouble...I think.
    >
    >Marty is buddies with these guys and I believe they appreciate the exposure.

    100s, maybe 1000s, of artists rely on exposure by Internet Radio every day.
    Independent from large labels and the RIAA, they have been made victims by
    the RIAA in the latest royalty rate increases which threaten the existence
    of internet radio.

    I know 100s of bands that would love musical exposure just about anywhere.
    Most of them have gone the route of the self-distribution model; thus, the
    RIAA does not figure into it.

    >Homepage: http://www.checksummusic.com/
    >Buy "Grey Ghost": http://cdbaby.com/cd/checksum

    A plug. I hope they enjoy it. I'm going to check them out and, perhaps,
    I can get them some air time on Aural Moon.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  7. [OT] RIAA (was Re: VMS Audio Update - Episode #10 available...)

    On 07/26/07 05:53, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > In article <46a84b59$0$4865$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, "Ken Farmer" writes:
    >>
    >> "JF Mezei" wrote in message
    >>> Does this mean that the RIAA will not attempt to sue anyone listening to
    >>> this music ? Or would they complain that since they were not involved in
    >>> this transaction, the later cannot possibly be legitimate and hence it
    >>> would be justified in sending its laywer hounds after listeners ?
    >>>
    >>> :-) :-) :-)

    >> I really don't know enough to discuss it intelligently, just barely enough
    >> to stay out of trouble...I think.
    >>
    >> Marty is buddies with these guys and I believe they appreciate the exposure.

    > 100s, maybe 1000s, of artists rely on exposure by Internet Radio every day.
    > Independent from large labels and the RIAA, they have been made victims by
    > the RIAA in the latest royalty rate increases which threaten the existence
    > of internet radio.
    >
    > I know 100s of bands that would love musical exposure just about anywhere.
    > Most of them have gone the route of the self-distribution model; thus, the
    > RIAA does not figure into it.

    Sure they do.

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000196

    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/internet-...ike-252823.php