Converting old VMS Wordperfect files - VMS

This is a discussion on Converting old VMS Wordperfect files - VMS ; Residing on one of the VMS systems that I am now managing are over 10,000 old VMS WordPerfect 5.1 files. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to convert these to ASCII or RTF format files either on VMS or ...

  1. Converting old VMS Wordperfect files

    Residing on one of the VMS systems that I am now managing are over
    10,000 old VMS WordPerfect 5.1 files.

    Does anyone have any suggestion on how to convert these to ASCII or
    RTF format files either on VMS or in a DOS or Windows environment? The
    files are accessible to Windows via Advanced Server (Pathworks). We're
    runing
    OpenVMS 7.3-2 on a ES40.

    When I did a search in Google almost all the posts were over 10 years
    old.

    Thanks in advance.

    Ken Robinson
    Baltimore, MD
    kenrbnsn (at) rbnsn (dot) com
    ken (at) tangible-tech (dot) com

  2. Re: Converting old VMS Wordperfect files

    Ken Robinson wrote in news:1185385054.972914.59210
    @k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

    > Residing on one of the VMS systems that I am now managing are over
    > 10,000 old VMS WordPerfect 5.1 files.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestion on how to convert these to ASCII or
    > RTF format files either on VMS or in a DOS or Windows environment? The
    > files are accessible to Windows via Advanced Server (Pathworks). We're
    > runing
    > OpenVMS 7.3-2 on a ES40.

    I just tested reading a WP file created in 1995 with WordPerfect 12.
    Worked perfectly. I don't know what platform the file was actually
    created on. It could have be VMS, Window 3.1, or Mac - but they were
    all compatible.

    The trick will be to develop some sort of macro or script to go through
    all the files.

    A L B E R T A Alfred Falk falk@arc.ab.ca
    R E S E A R C H Information Systems Dept (780)450-5185
    C O U N C I L 250 Karl Clark Road
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    http://www.arc.ab.ca/ T6N 1E4
    http://outside.arc.ab.ca/staff/falk/

  3. Re: Converting old VMS Wordperfect files

    Ken Robinson wrote:
    > Residing on one of the VMS systems that I am now managing are over
    > 10,000 old VMS WordPerfect 5.1 files.

    Didn't wordperfect for VMS come with a CDA converter ?

    have you tried CONVERT/DOCUMENT myfile.something/format=WORDP
    myfile.text/format=ASCII ?

    DIR SYS$LIBRARYDIF$READ*.EXE will give you the formats that you can
    convert from. (replace "READ" with "WRITE" to get the formats you can
    write to).

  4. Re: Converting old VMS Wordperfect files

    Ken Robinson wrote:
    > Residing on one of the VMS systems that I am now managing are over
    > 10,000 old VMS WordPerfect 5.1 files.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestion on how to convert these to ASCII or
    > RTF format files either on VMS or in a DOS or Windows environment? The
    > files are accessible to Windows via Advanced Server (Pathworks). We're
    > runing
    > OpenVMS 7.3-2 on a ES40.
    >
    > When I did a search in Google almost all the posts were over 10 years
    > old.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Ken Robinson
    > Baltimore, MD
    > kenrbnsn (at) rbnsn (dot) com
    > ken (at) tangible-tech (dot) com

    Open them using Word Perfect, then cut and paste the text into the
    application of your choice. ;-)

    A better choice might be to contact Chris Muller at 516-833-3067.
    http://www.mullermedia.com/
    He specializes in reading weird media/formats and writing them to the
    media and format of your choice.

    Tell him I sent you!

  5. Re: Converting old VMS Wordperfect files

    On Jul 25, 7:37 pm, Ken Robinson wrote:
    > Residing on one of the VMS systems that I am now managing are over
    > 10,000 old VMS WordPerfect 5.1 files.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestion on how to convert these to ASCII or
    > RTF format files either on VMS or in a DOS or Windows environment? The
    > files are accessible to Windows via Advanced Server (Pathworks). We're
    > runing
    > OpenVMS 7.3-2 on a ES40.
    >
    > When I did a search in Google almost all the posts were over 10 years
    > old.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Ken Robinson
    > Baltimore, MD
    > kenrbnsn (at) rbnsn (dot) com
    > ken (at) tangible-tech (dot) com

    The following product appears to provide the needed functionality...

    KEYpak Document Conversion
    http://www.keypak.com/index.htm

    Cheers!

    Keith Cayemberg

  6. Re: Converting old VMS Wordperfect files

    On Jul 25, 12:37 pm, Ken Robinson wrote:
    > Residing on one of the VMS systems that I am now managing are over
    > 10,000 old VMS WordPerfect 5.1 files.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestion on how to convert these to ASCII or
    > RTF format files either on VMS or in a DOS or Windows environment? The
    > files are accessible to Windows via Advanced Server (Pathworks). We're
    > runing
    > OpenVMS 7.3-2 on a ES40.
    >
    > When I did a search in Google almost all the posts were over 10 years
    > old.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Ken Robinson
    > Baltimore, MD
    > kenrbnsn (at) rbnsn (dot) com
    > ken (at) tangible-tech (dot) com

    I still have my WP keyboard templates for LK201 and 401 keyboards.
    Wish we still had the software; we resold it so never had to buy it
    ourselves (just renew licenses every year). At one time we had > 800
    seats under maintenance.

    The current holders of the VMS version didn't offer a hobbyist version
    (free or lower cost) so I don't have it at home either, darn it. It
    was a nice package and I'd still use it at home if I could (graphical
    word processors suck for my simple letter/memo needs).

    What others have said. We've imported our old VMS WordPerfect files
    into Word 2000, WordPerfect/windows 9 and 10, etc. Imports into PC
    WordPerfect are almost always perfect, with rare exceptions for some
    old font support mods we made. Word does OK with simple documents but
    can be thrown by complex tables or other specialty setups.

  7. Re: Converting old VMS Wordperfect files

    The current holders are ProvN Technologies. http://www.ProvN.com

    >What others have said. We've imported our old VMS WordPerfect files
    >into Word 2000, WordPerfect/windows 9 and 10, etc. Imports into PC
    >WordPerfect are almost always perfect, with rare exceptions for some
    >old font support mods we made. Word does OK with simple documents but
    >can be thrown by complex tables or other specialty setups.

    I thought that the big claim to fame with WordPerfect was that the files
    could be manipulated by WordPerfect on ANY platform on which WordPerfect
    ran.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  8. Re: Converting old VMS Wordperfect files

    On Jul 25, 4:16 pm, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > In article <1185397465.918633.314...@b79g2000hse.googlegroups. com>, Rich Jordan writes:
    >

    > >On Jul 25, 12:37 pm, Ken Robinson wrote:
    > >> Residing on one of the VMS systems that I am now managing are over
    > >> 10,000 old VMS WordPerfect 5.1 files.

    > >> Does anyone have any suggestion on how to convert these to ASCII or
    > >> RTF format files either on VMS or in a DOS or Windows environment? The
    > >> files are accessible to Windows via Advanced Server (Pathworks). We're
    > >> runing
    > >> OpenVMS 7.3-2 on a ES40.

    > >> When I did a search in Google almost all the posts were over 10 years
    > >> old.

    > >> Thanks in advance.

    > >> Ken Robinson
    > >> Baltimore, MD
    > >> kenrbnsn (at) rbnsn (dot) com
    > >> ken (at) tangible-tech (dot) com

    > >I still have my WP keyboard templates for LK201 and 401 keyboards.
    > >Wish we still had the software; we resold it so never had to buy it
    > >ourselves (just renew licenses every year). At one time we had > 800
    > >seats under maintenance.

    > >The current holders of the VMS version didn't offer a hobbyist version
    > >(free or lower cost) so I don't have it at home either, darn it. It
    > >was a nice package and I'd still use it at home if I could (graphical
    > >word processors suck for my simple letter/memo needs).

    > The current holders are ProvN Technologies. http://www.ProvN.com
    >
    > >What others have said. We've imported our old VMS WordPerfect files
    > >into Word 2000, WordPerfect/windows 9 and 10, etc. Imports into PC
    > >WordPerfect are almost always perfect, with rare exceptions for some
    > >old font support mods we made. Word does OK with simple documents but
    > >can be thrown by complex tables or other specialty setups.

    > I thought that the big claim to fame with WordPerfect was that the files
    > could be manipulated by WordPerfect on ANY platform on which WordPerfect
    > ran.
    >
    > --
    > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM
    >
    > "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"
    >
    > http://tmesis.com/drat.html

    Brian,
    thats true but when customer requirements make you take the
    printer config files that shipped with wordperfect and hack them apart
    in various unclean ways to do something utterly pointless but mandated
    by the pointy headed bosses, you do it. And if as a result the
    documents created to print just so with those config files cannot
    print exactly the same on a 12+ year newer version of the software
    with unmodified print config files on a different platform, I don't
    consider that a failure in cross platform compatibility.

    MS Word, on the other hand, can't handle importing some of the more
    complex formatting, tables, etc that could be done in WordPerfect.
    You'll get a usable document but it won't print properly and will
    often take a lot of work to get back into shape.

    BTW if the OP still has Wordperfect running on the VMS system it
    should be capable of doing a reasonable conversion to text by printing
    to disk using a plain line printer config. You could probably even
    create a macro to do the work, then batch execute WordPerfect with
    that macro across the files; I don't remember the details on how but I
    know it was possible.

  9. Re: Converting old VMS Wordperfect files

    In article <1185385054.972914.59210@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.c om>, Ken Robinson writes:
    > Residing on one of the VMS systems that I am now managing are over
    > 10,000 old VMS WordPerfect 5.1 files.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestion on how to convert these to ASCII or
    > RTF format files either on VMS or in a DOS or Windows environment? The
    > files are accessible to Windows via Advanced Server (Pathworks). We're
    > runing
    > OpenVMS 7.3-2 on a ES40.
    >
    > When I did a search in Google almost all the posts were over 10 years
    > old.

    Will MS-Word or OpenOffice read them? I know Word will read some
    WordPerfect formats.

    Have you contacted the vendor? VMS WordPerfect might still be
    supported, if not developed.

+ Reply to Thread