Info-VAX recently disgorged this:

From: David Webb

> > I'd be happier if TCPIP always logged the IP address, instead of
> >[...]

> I think you want
>
> TCPIP> disable service ssh
> TCPIP> set service ssh /log=noaddr
> TCPIP> enable service ssh

Perhaps. I'll see. I believe that all my services say "Log Opts:
[...] Addr", which sure sounded like what I wanted. Thanks for the
suggestion.

> From help in TCPIP services
>
> TCPIP> help set service/log
> SET
> SERVICE
> /LOG_OPTIONS
> /LOG_OPTIONS=
> [...]
> [ [NO]ADDRESS ]
> [...]
> [NO]ADDRESS For auxiliary server messages and OpenVMS
> security events, the message displays the
> IP address as a host name. If host names are
> not relevant, HP recommends that you specify
> [NO]ADDRESS.
> [...]

This, by the way, ranks among the most lame explanations of anything
which I have ever read. First, I would (and did) expect ADDRESS to give
me the address, and NOADDRESS not to give me the address. Second, what
does it mean to "specify [NO]ADDRESS"? Who writes this dreck? (It's
the same with "HP TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Industry Standard 64
Version V5.6 on an HP rx2600 (1.40GHz/1.5MB) running OpenVMS V8.3" on
td183, by the way.)

Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
Saint Paul MN 55105-2547