Re: What does GEM mean? - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: What does GEM mean? - VMS ; Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote: > They changed the written standard so that two "ss" should be used > instead of the special character. No, this was never done or actually proposed. Regards Götz -- http://www.knubbelmac.de/...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 36 of 36

  1. Re: What does GEM mean?

    --
    http://www.knubbelmac.de/

  2. Re: What does GEM mean?

    P. Sture wrote:

    > accepted practice to use an "e" after the vowel instead of the umlaut
    > for representation in block capitals,

    Rarely. It's "ÜBERNACHTUNG", not "UEBERNACHTUNG". Anyone would
    understand the two-letter-version but I nearly never see it in
    everyday's language.

    > data entry - ae, oe, ue instead of ä, ö, ü. This also applies to e-mail
    > and website addresses to get around keyboard, font and 7-bit limitations.

    Yep. Unfortunately. My name is 'Götz', not 'Goetz'.

    > Some database search engines such as address lookups match on either
    > form, others don't. Out of interest, does anyone know how a match on
    > either form is done?

    Do you want to know the reg exp?

    Regards
    Götz
    --
    http://www.knubbelmac.de/

  3. Re: What does GEM mean?

    In article <1i1yuf7.mmf52y1p0ktesN%usenet@hoffart.de>,
    usenet@hoffart.de (Goetz Hoffart) wrote:

    > P. Sture wrote:
    >
    > > accepted practice to use an "e" after the vowel instead of the umlaut
    > > for representation in block capitals,

    > Rarely. It's "ÜBERNACHTUNG", not "UEBERNACHTUNG". Anyone would
    > understand the two-letter-version but I nearly never see it in
    > everyday's language.

    Thanks for the correction. I am clearly spending too much time with
    computers!

    > > data entry - ae, oe, ue instead of ä, ö, ü. This also applies to e-mail
    > > and website addresses to get around keyboard, font and 7-bit limitations.

    > Yep. Unfortunately. My name is 'Götz', not 'Goetz'.
    >
    > > Some database search engines such as address lookups match on either
    > > form, others don't. Out of interest, does anyone know how a match on
    > > either form is done?

    > Do you want to know the reg exp?

    Yes please. I was thinking of database index entries here.

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  4. Re: What does GEM mean?

    On 07/27/07 21:57, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > Ron Johnson wrote:

    [snip]

    >> I wish American English spelling could be rationalized, but then
    >> children would need to learn the Old Way and the New Way, leaving
    >> even less time for important things like science and recess.
    >>

    > It's been done. See http://www.rajeun.net/index4.html
    > ;-)

    I've read that kind of rationalization-taken-extreme article before.
    Very amusing and totally missing the point that English (being an
    accretion of Angle/Germanic, Saxon/French, Greek, Latin & Viking,
    with lots of words tossed in from Hindu, China, Spain, etc, etc ad
    nauseum) is a total mess, with more exceptions than Bill Clinton's
    promise to be faithful to his wife.

    English spelling *can* be made more rational. Not "perfect"; there
    would still be exceptions, but a lot fewer than there are now.

    Won't happen, though. Just as the year should start on June 1 (or
    Sept 1, or even April 1, since that's the *approximate* beginning of
    planting season for the majority of the world) and the day should
    begin at what is now 6AM. But there's too much momentum behind the
    current ways of doing things.

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA

  5. Re: What does GEM mean?

    On 07/28/07 06:42, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > P. Sture wrote:
    >> In article ,
    >> John Reagan wrote:

    >>> and to compound the problem, I can't count. :-)

    >> And why would a compiler author need to? :-)
    >>

    > Indeed! That's what computers are for! If God had meant us to count
    > above twenty he would have given us more digits! ;-)

    Actually, according to linguists, the Big Intellectual Leap, unknown
    millennia ago, came at, variously, "two" or "three". They (or
    some...) assert that the most ancient forms of all studied languages
    had either ["one" and "many"] or ["one", "two" and "many"].

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA

  6. Re: What does GEM mean?

    On 07/28/07 07:50, Goetz Hoffart wrote:
    > P. Sture wrote:
    >
    >> accepted practice to use an "e" after the vowel instead of the umlaut
    >> for representation in block capitals,

    > Rarely. It's "ÜBERNACHTUNG", not "UEBERNACHTUNG". Anyone would
    > understand the two-letter-version but I nearly never see it in
    > everyday's language.
    >
    >> data entry - ae, oe, ue instead of ä, ö, ü. This also applies to e-mail
    >> and website addresses to get around keyboard, font and 7-bit limitations.

    > Yep. Unfortunately. My name is 'Götz', not 'Goetz'.

    And English's lack of umlaut. There are *lots* of people named
    Goetz in America.

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA

  7. Re: What does GEM mean?

    In article <46AB2BA3.7090100@comcast.net>, "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:
    > P. Sture wrote:
    >> In article ,
    >> John Reagan wrote:

    >>>and to compound the problem, I can't count. :-)

    >> And why would a compiler author need to? :-)
    >>

    > Indeed! That's what computers are for! If God had meant us to count
    > above twenty he would have given us more digits! ;-)

    If God had meant us to count in base 10, she would not have made our
    thumbs look so different.

  8. Re: What does GEM mean?

    In article ,
    Kilgallen@SpamCop.net (Larry Kilgallen) wrote:

    > In article <46AB2BA3.7090100@comcast.net>, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    > writes:
    > > P. Sture wrote:

    > >> And why would a compiler author need to? :-)
    > >>

    > > Indeed! That's what computers are for! If God had meant us to count
    > > above twenty he would have given us more digits! ;-)

    > If God had meant us to count in base 10, she would not have made our
    > thumbs look so different.

    LOL.

    There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary,
    and those with friends.

    (Sorry, could not resist)

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  9. Re: What does GEM mean?

    On Jul 29, 9:01 am, Kilgal...@SpamCop.net (Larry Kilgallen) wrote:
    > In article <46AB2BA3.7090...@comcast.net>, "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:
    >

    > > P. Sture wrote:

    > >> And why would a compiler author need to? :-)

    > > Indeed! That's what computers are for! If God had meant us to count
    > > above twenty he would have given us more digits! ;-)

    > If God had meant us to count in base 10, she would not have made our
    > thumbs look so different.- Hide quoted text -

    I always thought God was a base 4 machine programer (A-T-C-G) and a
    base 20 virtual machine programmer (the amino acids). Of course if you
    want to get technical, the base 4 stuff is also part of a virual
    machine because the real trick was the base 18 stuff (6 quarks x 3
    colors).

    :-)

    Neil Rieck
    Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge,
    Ontario, Canada.
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/

  10. Re: What does GEM mean?

    In article <1i1yu8r.1p6jw83iv3jsjN%usenet@hoffart.de>,
    usenet@hoffart.de (Goetz Hoffart) writes:
    > Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
    >
    >> And since then the germans has dropped the "double-s", so you'd better
    >> make a new revison anyway... :-)

    > We didn't drop the "ß". The new rules for orthography just uses the "ß"
    > letter infrequently then before.
    >
    > Regards
    > Götz

    Well, I still use it, both in typed and handwritten documents. :-)

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  11. Re: What does GEM mean?

    "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:
    > P. Sture wrote:
    >> In article ,
    >> John Reagan wrote:

    >>>and to compound the problem, I can't count. :-)

    >> And why would a compiler author need to? :-)
    >>

    > Indeed! That's what computers are for! If God had meant us to count
    > above twenty he would have given us more digits! ;-)

    Look how high computers can count and they only have two digits.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  12. Re: What does GEM mean?

    On 07/30/07 07:07, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    > In article <46AB2BA3.7090100@comcast.net>,
    > "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:
    >> P. Sture wrote:

    >>> And why would a compiler author need to? :-)
    >>>

    >> Indeed! That's what computers are for! If God had meant us to count
    >> above twenty he would have given us more digits! ;-)
    >>

    > Look how high computers can count and they only have two digits.

    Is that the zoological or mathematical definition of "digit"?

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA

  13. Re: What does GEM mean?

    In article , Ron Johnson writes:

    > How can you just drop a letter from the alphabet?
    >
    > What happens to all the books/articles/letters/etc written prior to
    > when the letter was dropped?

    A small problem for the germans. They completely changed alphabets,
    or at leat what we might now call the font, and some youth refuse
    to learn the old.

    But its not exactly hard to learn.

  14. Re: What does GEM mean?

    In article <1zeuKploce5+@eisner.encompasserve.org>,
    koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) wrote:

    > In article , Ron Johnson
    > writes:
    > >
    > > How can you just drop a letter from the alphabet?
    > >
    > > What happens to all the books/articles/letters/etc written prior to
    > > when the letter was dropped?

    > A small problem for the germans. They completely changed alphabets,
    > or at leat what we might now call the font, and some youth refuse
    > to learn the old.
    >
    > But its not exactly hard to learn.

    Used very effectively in a vampire comedy film I saw recently. The young
    vampire w side of the conversation was in script.

    Bloody hard to read quickly though. I suppose it comes with practice :-)

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  15. Re: What does GEM mean?

    Bob Koehler wrote:

    > In article , Ron Johnson
    > writes:
    > >
    > > How can you just drop a letter from the alphabet?
    > >
    > > What happens to all the books/articles/letters/etc written prior to
    > > when the letter was dropped?

    > A small problem for the germans. They completely changed alphabets,
    > or at leat what we might now call the font, and some youth refuse
    > to learn the old.

    I'm confused. How did this thread start?
    In my universe, GEM means German Equatorial Mount.

    BTW - changing font and changing alphabet are tho very different
    animals. And the old German print fonts look very much like -
    Olde English...

    --
    I recommend Macs to my friends, and Windows machines
    to those whom I don't mind billing by the hour

  16. Re: What does GEM mean?

    On 08/05/07 15:44, Anders Eklöf wrote:
    > Bob Koehler wrote:
    >
    >> In article , Ron Johnson
    >> writes:
    >>> How can you just drop a letter from the alphabet?
    >>>
    >>> What happens to all the books/articles/letters/etc written prior to
    >>> when the letter was dropped?

    >> A small problem for the germans. They completely changed alphabets,
    >> or at leat what we might now call the font, and some youth refuse
    >> to learn the old.
    >>

    > I'm confused. How did this thread start?
    > In my universe, GEM means German Equatorial Mount.
    >
    > BTW - changing font and changing alphabet are tho very different
    > animals. And the old German print fonts look very much like -
    > Olde English...

    A compiler technology developed by DEC.

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.