RE: Dynamically set VMS "environment" settings from a program? - VMS

This is a discussion on RE: Dynamically set VMS "environment" settings from a program? - VMS ; Yes, thank you. I'm using the COBOL screens right now in an effort to tame the cost to the potential users. Terminal emulation for green screen users under VMS is - somewhat more difficult that anything else. I was under ...

  1. RE: Dynamically set VMS "environment" settings from a program?

    Yes, thank you. I'm using the COBOL screens right now in an effort to tame
    the cost to the potential users. Terminal emulation for green screen users
    under VMS is - somewhat more difficult that anything else.

    I was under the impression AllInOne was more like an office software product
    than anything remotely similar to ISPF. (Which has been named ISPF for a few
    decades now...

    I actually like the FORMS panel editor and development system, but I am
    quite impressed with how capable the COBOL system is. It isn't easy to do
    things like save screens (since you cannot command the terminal to send you
    a full dump of the screen) and telnet/ssh is not as smooth as I would like,
    but it is still relatively fast and I am getting to the point were a
    software port looks like it will be doable.

    I'll probably sanitize a small application and post it up free in the hopes
    of getting constructive criticism. Little things like field editing are
    eating my lunch right and left. No guaranteed DELETE key that actually does
    what a DELETE key is supposed to do, for instance.

    I might have to guarantee the software only on a PC with specific emulation
    software or something, which I really don't like. The alternative is to
    target a really standard terminal emulation, like 3270 emulation, and write
    a convertor and TCP daemon to handle the communications. I would rather not
    though, if I can avoid it.

    I will take a look at All in One if I can find the install image for it
    somewhere.

    -Paul

  2. Re: Dynamically set VMS "environment" settings from a program?

    Paul Raulerson wrote:
    > I was under the impression AllInOne was more like an office software product
    > than anything remotely similar to ISPF. (Which has been named ISPF for a few
    > decades now...

    ALLIN1 provided a scriptable interface to FMS that was quite simple to
    write. And you can hook yor own applications if you want. It was far
    more than just an office product.

    Like ISPF, ALLIN1 provided a consistant look/feel and PF key
    functionality across different screens/panels/applications.

    ALLIN1 is still available for VAX and Alpha. But it was victim of
    Capellas/Fiorina's folly and not ported to IA64. FMS has been ported to
    IA64 though.

    (ALLIN1 is also known as Office Server).

    If you already have Cobol applications, you can probably just deploy FMS
    (Forms Management system) and just have your cobol programs call up
    the FMS forms.

    There is a default set of keys that give you basic functionality in FMS,
    but if you want more, then your application has to do it itself.

  3. Re: Dynamically set VMS "environment" settings from a program?

    On 07/25/07 02:31, JF Mezei wrote:
    > Paul Raulerson wrote:
    >> I was under the impression AllInOne was more like an office software
    >> product
    >> than anything remotely similar to ISPF. (Which has been named ISPF for
    >> a few
    >> decades now...

    > ALLIN1 provided a scriptable interface to FMS that was quite simple to
    > write. And you can hook yor own applications if you want. It was far
    > more than just an office product.
    >
    > Like ISPF, ALLIN1 provided a consistant look/feel and PF key
    > functionality across different screens/panels/applications.
    >
    > ALLIN1 is still available for VAX and Alpha. But it was victim of
    > Capellas/Fiorina's folly and not ported to IA64. FMS has been ported to
    > IA64 though.
    >
    > (ALLIN1 is also known as Office Server).
    >
    > If you already have Cobol applications, you can probably just deploy FMS
    > (Forms Management system) and just have your cobol programs call up the
    > FMS forms.
    >
    > There is a default set of keys that give you basic functionality in FMS,
    > but if you want more, then your application has to do it itself.

    Wouldn't DECforms be easier? Design the screen then attach
    "actions" to F- and PF- keys, and on-entry and on-exit actions to
    fields. I liked it.

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA