Re: What OS version to run on a DEC 3000-M600 - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: What OS version to run on a DEC 3000-M600 - VMS ; From: Slor > [...] So far, I have yet > to track anyone down who has memory for this system. I tried the person > that was recommended in one of the post, but he has long since parted with ...

  1. Re: What OS version to run on a DEC 3000-M600

    From: Slor

    > [...] So far, I have yet
    > to track anyone down who has memory for this system. I tried the person
    > that was recommended in one of the post, but he has long since parted with
    > the memory he was selling. Anyone here happen to have any to part with or
    > know someone who might?

    Am I missing something, or has anyone actually offered a description
    of this memory? Is it strictly proprietary (like a board for a
    VAXstation 2000), or is it really some common/cheap thing (like the
    DIMMs used in an XP1000)?

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: What OS version to run on a DEC 3000-M600

    Steven M. Schweda wrote:
    > From: Slor
    >
    >> [...] So far, I have yet
    >> to track anyone down who has memory for this system. I tried the person
    >> that was recommended in one of the post, but he has long since parted with
    >> the memory he was selling. Anyone here happen to have any to part with or
    >> know someone who might?

    > Am I missing something, or has anyone actually offered a description
    > of this memory? Is it strictly proprietary (like a board for a
    > VAXstation 2000), or is it really some common/cheap thing (like the
    > DIMMs used in an XP1000)?

    > Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    > 382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    > Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

    Unfortunately, the SIMMs are different from other brands and PC parts -
    AFAIK. The most differentiating detail is the amount of connector pins.
    Common PC SIMMs have 72 pins, but DEC3000-600 SIMMs have maybe the
    double (I haven't counted). The pinout might also be different from any
    other brands (Like the PA-RISC machine memories are different from
    anything else).
    With the AS2x00 series, DEC started to use PC type of memory (although
    it always is parity memory (xx*36).

    Regards,

    Kari

+ Reply to Thread