^UP^/ in a DIR command ? - VMS

This is a discussion on ^UP^/ in a DIR command ? - VMS ; hello, I tryied $ dir/dat "^UP^/" but instead of getting what's in my POSIX root directory I get this: "^UP^/" 20-JUL-2007 17:24:12.78 Total of 1 file. DIR accept POSIX rooted filenames as if I try DIR on an existing file ...

  1. ^UP^/ in a DIR command ?

    hello,

    I tryied

    $ dir/dat "^UP^/"

    but instead of getting what's in my POSIX root directory I get this:

    "^UP^/" 20-JUL-2007 17:24:12.78

    Total of 1 file.

    DIR accept POSIX rooted filenames as if I try DIR on an existing file
    I get what I expect

    $ dir/dat "^UP^/dkb100/xml/test.cpp"
    "^UP^/DKB100/XML/TEST.CPP"
    15-DEC-2003 14:10:11.38

    Total of 1 file.

    is it possible to list directory content thru a POSIX root dir name,
    without using bash and ls ?

    TIA,
    Pierre.

  2. Re: ^UP^/ in a DIR command ?

    Pierre wrote:
    > hello,
    >
    > I tryied
    >
    > $ dir/dat "^UP^/"
    >
    > but instead of getting what's in my POSIX root directory I get this:
    >
    > "^UP^/" 20-JUL-2007 17:24:12.78
    >
    > Total of 1 file.
    >
    > DIR accept POSIX rooted filenames as if I try DIR on an existing file
    > I get what I expect
    >
    > $ dir/dat "^UP^/dkb100/xml/test.cpp"
    > "^UP^/DKB100/XML/TEST.CPP"
    > 15-DEC-2003 14:10:11.38
    >
    > Total of 1 file.
    >
    > is it possible to list directory content thru a POSIX root dir name,
    > without using bash and ls ?

    No, that is expected behavior. If you put a wildcard in the directory
    specification, you get the first match.

    I would not use physical device names for mount points. I would use
    names that match the logical name given to the mounted disk.

    This isolates your software from having to know what your physical disk
    names are.

    -John
    wb8tyw@qsl.network
    Personal Opinion Only