Upgrade from 7.3-2 to 8.3 - Copy from Disk to tape taking a longtime. - VMS

This is a discussion on Upgrade from 7.3-2 to 8.3 - Copy from Disk to tape taking a longtime. - VMS ; I just upgraded from 7.3-2 to 8.3 and a copy of large files from disk to tape is now taking 1 hr and under 7.3-2 10min. dlt 8000 is scsi connected directly to back of alpha ds25 server. Same Machine. ...

  1. Upgrade from 7.3-2 to 8.3 - Copy from Disk to tape taking a longtime.

    I just upgraded from 7.3-2 to 8.3 and a copy of large files
    from disk to tape is now taking 1 hr and under 7.3-2 10min.
    dlt 8000 is scsi connected directly to back of alpha ds25
    server. Same Machine.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Upgrade from 7.3-2 to 8.3 - Copy from Disk to tape taking a longtime.

    What copy command? If you really use copy then yes, this is caused by a bug.
    As far as I know RMS now sets the 'rewind on close' bit for tapes too (which
    is a mistake) causing a rewind to happen after every file.

    It's even more fun that that, it does a PACKACK after each file (as I found
    out when developing tape support for LDdriver.

    Jur.

    Chuck Aaron wrote:
    > I just upgraded from 7.3-2 to 8.3 and a copy of large files
    > from disk to tape is now taking 1 hr and under 7.3-2 10min.
    > dlt 8000 is scsi connected directly to back of alpha ds25
    > server. Same Machine.
    >
    > Thanks.

  3. Re: Upgrade from 7.3-2 to 8.3 - Copy from Disk to tape taking a longtime.

    The DCL copy command copy *.* to tape$c:*.*

    Jur van der Burg wrote:
    > What copy command? If you really use copy then yes, this is caused by
    > a bug.
    > As far as I know RMS now sets the 'rewind on close' bit for tapes too
    > (which
    > is a mistake) causing a rewind to happen after every file.
    >
    > It's even more fun that that, it does a PACKACK after each file (as I
    > found
    > out when developing tape support for LDdriver.
    >
    > Jur.
    >
    > Chuck Aaron wrote:
    >> I just upgraded from 7.3-2 to 8.3 and a copy of large files
    >> from disk to tape is now taking 1 hr and under 7.3-2 10min.
    >> dlt 8000 is scsi connected directly to back of alpha ds25
    >> server. Same Machine.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread