What is PVAX? - VMS

This is a discussion on What is PVAX? - VMS ; On the MicroVAX console commands Web page it always says (PVAX) after 3100. What does this PVAX mean? Bonus question: It also lists the UVAX-II in which I assume the U is just a poor-man's mu. I guess that's just ...

  1. What is PVAX?

    On the MicroVAX console commands Web page it always says (PVAX) after
    3100. What does this PVAX mean?

    Bonus question: It also lists the UVAX-II in which I assume the U is
    just a poor-man's mu. I guess that's just because otherwise they'd
    have to put just II in that column which would be "confusing". OK,
    that must be it.

    But what is this PVAX term?

    Thanks!

    AEF

  2. Re: What is PVAX?

    In article <1184943034.460671.80290@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.co m>, AEF writes:

    >On the MicroVAX console commands Web page it always says (PVAX) after
    >3100. What does this PVAX mean?
    >
    >Bonus question: It also lists the UVAX-II in which I assume the U is
    >just a poor-man's mu. I guess that's just because otherwise they'd
    >have to put just II in that column which would be "confusing". OK,
    >that must be it.
    >
    >But what is this PVAX term?

    Personal VAX?

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  3. Re: What is PVAX?

    AEF wrote:
    > On the MicroVAX console commands Web page it always says (PVAX) after
    > 3100. What does this PVAX mean?

    PVAX was the project codename for the platform. All of the systems and
    some of the system platforms have had project codenames. PVAX was
    usually translated as the Personal VAX, and was based on the CVAX
    microprocessor.

    --
    www.HoffmanLabs.com
    Services for OpenVMS

  4. Re: What is PVAX?

    In article <1184943034.460671.80290@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.co m>, AEF writes:
    > On the MicroVAX console commands Web page it always says (PVAX) after
    > 3100. What does this PVAX mean?

    PVAX was the code name for the KA-42 CPU used in some MicroVAX and
    VAXstation 3100 models. The VLC used a PVAX2 (KA-48).

    Also, Adobe PDF files containing MicroVAX written with the greek
    letter mu often show up as pVAX on web search engines, it's probably
    a font problem. As a matter of fact, if you search such a document
    for pvax in Adobe reader, you'll find it with the mu.

    > Bonus question: It also lists the UVAX-II in which I assume the U is
    > just a poor-man's mu. I guess that's just because otherwise they'd
    > have to put just II in that column which would be "confusing". OK,
    > that must be it.

    Bingo.

    And I still can't figure out how to get PuTTY to do a compose, no
    matter which setting I change.

+ Reply to Thread