Looking for a certain free mms- or make-like utility - VMS

This is a discussion on Looking for a certain free mms- or make-like utility - VMS ; I believe that within the last month I saw a posting here or on openvms.org for a free build utility somewhat similar to mms or make. Its distinguishing feature is that it can figure out dependencies for itself. (MMS can ...

  1. Looking for a certain free mms- or make-like utility

    I believe that within the last month I saw a posting here or on
    openvms.org for a free build utility somewhat similar to mms or make.
    Its distinguishing feature is that it can figure out dependencies for
    itself. (MMS can also do that but apparently not as well.) The
    program's name was not very similar to MMS or make except that it was
    also pretty short--maybe only four characters (which of course narrows
    it down to a mre few million filenames :-)

    I've checked a lot of the older VMS freeware sites without any luck,
    and I can't do a specific enough search for Google to be very helpful.

    I even went back through the last week's Firefox browser history
    without spotting anything.

    I know this is a terribly vague description but maybe someone else
    will have seen something like this in the last month or so and can
    point me at it.

    Thanks,

    Galen

  2. Re: Looking for a certain free mms- or make-like utility

    There is a port of imake on freeware V5

    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/freeware/freeware50/imake/

  3. Re: Looking for a certain free mms- or make-like utility

    On Jul 20, 9:58 am, IanMiller wrote:
    > There is a port of imake on freeware V5

    Ian,

    Even as old as it is, imake might be worth a look.

    What I think I saw, though, was something recent that both figured out
    the dependencies and did the actual build.

    I'll have a better look at imake next week, and keep hoping something
    turns up on the recent tool.

    Galen

  4. Re: Looking for a certain free mms- or make-like utility

    Galen wrote:
    > I believe that within the last month I saw a posting here or on
    > openvms.org for a free build utility somewhat similar to mms or make.

    The compilers are sometime used to generate dependencies; there's a
    switch for this purpose on various compilers. See /MMS_DEPENDENCY, etc.

    There's also the source code analysis tools and related in DECset. The
    format of the compiler-generated DECset code analysis files was never
    (AFAIK) published.

    I've not seen a post-processing dependency tool (other than stuff that
    looked at the ANA files, and I've seen a lot of that code); that task is
    basically building a compiler.

    One of the more common (free) build tools is mmk, though gmake and imake
    are around and also in use.

    --
    www.HoffmanLabs.com
    Services for OpenVMS

  5. Re: Looking for a certain free mms- or make-like utility

    Galen wrote:
    > I believe that within the last month I saw a posting here or on
    > openvms.org for a free build utility somewhat similar to mms or make.
    > Its distinguishing feature is that it can figure out dependencies for
    > itself. (MMS can also do that but apparently not as well.) The
    > program's name was not very similar to MMS or make except that it was
    > also pretty short--maybe only four characters (which of course narrows
    > it down to a mre few million filenames :-)
    >
    > I've checked a lot of the older VMS freeware sites without any luck,
    > and I can't do a specific enough search for Google to be very helpful.
    >
    > I even went back through the last week's Firefox browser history
    > without spotting anything.
    >
    > I know this is a terribly vague description but maybe someone else
    > will have seen something like this in the last month or so and can
    > point me at it.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Galen

    I can offer you a copy of "gvgmake"; a slightly fixed up copy of what
    Tony Ivanov posted to c.o.v. about fifteen years ago. There's also an
    MMS look-alike written by a well known contributor of years gone by:
    Matt Madison.

    AFAIK neither of the above can "figure out dependencies". There may be
    various Gnu software that will do such but I'm not familiar with it.

  6. Re: Looking for a certain free mms- or make-like utility

    In article <1184936880.750177.39040@n60g2000hse.googlegroups.c om>, Galen writes:
    > I believe that within the last month I saw a posting here or on
    > openvms.org for a free build utility somewhat similar to mms or make.

    I don't know all it's features, but look around for MMK.

  7. Re: Looking for a certain free mms- or make-like utility

    I do use MMK a lot already. It suits me very well and I've even
    managed to make one or two additions (from newer MMS versions) to the
    special macros it recognizes. It would be nice to have it recognize
    the MMS syntax for conditionals but I've never had a chance to dig
    into it that deeply.

    For now I'm suspending my quest for whatever the other utility was
    that I saw. But I do know that it wasn't named anything similar to
    MMS, MMK, make, or gmake.

    Thanks to all who offered help.

    Galen

+ Reply to Thread