Re: What OS version to run on a DEC 3000-M600 - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: What OS version to run on a DEC 3000-M600 - VMS ; In article , Slor writes: > Hello everyone. I have a pretty newbie question for the group - I recently > picked up a 3000-M600 with 64MB of RAM, and I'm wondering what the > preferred OpenVMS version would be ...

  1. Re: What OS version to run on a DEC 3000-M600

    In article , Slor
    writes:

    > Hello everyone. I have a pretty newbie question for the group - I recently
    > picked up a 3000-M600 with 64MB of RAM, and I'm wondering what the
    > preferred OpenVMS version would be for that machine. If I go too recent,
    > I'm concerned I might suffer performance issues, so any opinions from
    > experience with such as system would be greatly appreciated.

    I'm running 7.3-2 on one and will probably move to 8.3 soon. 8.3 is
    supported on this machine. Minimum memory requirements have increased
    over the years. I believe 7.3-2 officially requires 64 MB. I did run
    it (but did not install it---I swapped the system disk) on a machine
    with 48 MB, but performance was lacking.

    I have 192 MB of memory in mine. It can even run CSWB, but quite
    slowly. I would recommend more memory and installing 8.3.

  2. Re: What OS version to run on a DEC 3000-M600

    Despite all prevention efforts, helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip
    Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply) wrote in news:f7ol32$b4u$2@online.de:

    > I have 192 MB of memory in mine. It can even run CSWB, but quite
    > slowly. I would recommend more memory and installing 8.3.

    This, unsurprisingly, seems to be the recurring theme. So far, I have yet
    to track anyone down who has memory for this system. I tried the person
    that was recommended in one of the post, but he has long since parted with
    the memory he was selling. Anyone here happen to have any to part with or
    know someone who might?

    thanks

    --
    James
    http://www.e-host-direct.com

  3. Re: What OS version to run on a DEC 3000-M600

    Slor wrote:
    > Despite all prevention efforts, helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip
    > Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply) wrote in news:f7ol32$b4u$2@online.de:
    >

    >>I have 192 MB of memory in mine. It can even run CSWB, but quite
    >>slowly. I would recommend more memory and installing 8.3.
    >>

    > This, unsurprisingly, seems to be the recurring theme. So far, I have yet
    > to track anyone down who has memory for this system. I tried the person
    > that was recommended in one of the post, but he has long since parted with
    > the memory he was selling. Anyone here happen to have any to part with or
    > know someone who might?
    >
    > thanks

    Try "Memory World". ISTR buying Alpha compatible memory from them once
    upon a time. Genuine DEC parts may be hard to come by but there should
    be lots of "third party" memory available.

  4. Re: What OS version to run on a DEC 3000-M600

    In article ,
    Slor wrote:

    > Despite all prevention efforts, helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip
    > Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply) wrote in news:f7ol32$b4u$2@online.de:
    >

    > > I have 192 MB of memory in mine. It can even run CSWB, but quite
    > > slowly. I would recommend more memory and installing 8.3.
    > >

    > This, unsurprisingly, seems to be the recurring theme. So far, I have yet
    > to track anyone down who has memory for this system. I tried the person
    > that was recommended in one of the post, but he has long since parted with
    > the memory he was selling. Anyone here happen to have any to part with or
    > know someone who might?
    >
    > thanks

    DEC 3000 systems (EXCEPT for the model 300 flavors, which are different)
    take memory in groups of 8 identical SIMMs. Memory wasn't particularly
    standardized back then (1992), and these SIMMs don't match any PC memory
    AFAIK.

    DEC 3000-M600 systems take either 1 or 2 memory kits (8 or 16 SIMMs
    total).

    DEC part numbers for memory kits were:
    MS15-BA (16 MB kit) - discontinued early, rare, I've never seen them
    MS15-CA (32 MB kit)
    MS15-DA (64 MB kit)
    MS15-EA (128 MB kit) - originally expensive, now uncommon
    MS15-FA (256 MB kit) - originally very expensive, now rare

    These are all 100-pin SIMMs.

    The 32 MB kit only has RAM chips on 1 side; the 64 MB kit uses the same
    board, with chips on both sides.

    Similarly, the 128 MB kit has chips on 1 side; the 256 MB kit has chips
    on both sides.

    In addition to DEC, a few other vendors made compatible memory.
    Kingston and DataRAM at least.

    I find a few kits available on ebay now. I searched for MS15-CA,
    MS15-DA, and so on. I see all kit sizes from 32 MB up to 256 MB.

  5. Re: What OS version to run on a DEC 3000-M600

    Despite all prevention efforts, Robert Deininger
    wrote in
    ..mx:

    > The 32 MB kit only has RAM chips on 1 side; the 64 MB kit uses the same
    > board, with chips on both sides.
    >
    > Similarly, the 128 MB kit has chips on 1 side; the 256 MB kit has
    > chips on both sides.
    >
    > In addition to DEC, a few other vendors made compatible memory.
    > Kingston and DataRAM at least.
    >
    > I find a few kits available on ebay now. I searched for MS15-CA,
    > MS15-DA, and so on. I see all kit sizes from 32 MB up to 256 MB.

    Thanks for all the info. It's easier to seach eBay knowing the model
    numbers.

    --
    James
    http://www.e-host-direct.com