Re: PC EDT keypad (was EDT Replacement) - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: PC EDT keypad (was EDT Replacement) - VMS ; On Jul 18, 12:17 pm, Ron Johnson wrote: > On 07/18/07 07:01, Bob Koehler wrote: > > > In article , Ron Johnson writes: > >> I'm referring to a PC-102 keyboard that accesses VMS using a > >> terminal ...

  1. Re: PC EDT keypad (was EDT Replacement)

    On Jul 18, 12:17 pm, Ron Johnson wrote:
    > On 07/18/07 07:01, Bob Koehler wrote:
    >
    > > In article , Ron Johnson writes:
    > >> I'm referring to a PC-102 keyboard that accesses VMS using a
    > >> terminal emulator.

    > > I'm refereing to a lenevo laptop and a Targus keypad. All the keys
    > > are grey.

    > > Perhaps you'll let us know which of your keys are grey? All PCs
    > > are different, and your post kind of hinges on that.

    > I'll do you one better and show you the whole keyboard!
    >
    > http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson...718-120430.jpg
    >
    > The same keys that are grey on my 6 year old Gateway keypad are a
    > dark (but noticeably different) grey on my IBM black external
    > keyboard (for use with a "company" IBM/Lenovo Stinkpad).

    That keyboard still has the large [+] key problem (which was the OP's
    complaint.) AFAIK, only real LK's (or clones if they exist) have the
    "proper" key layout.

  2. Re: PC EDT keypad (was EDT Replacement)

    On 07/19/07 13:08, Doug Phillips wrote:
    > On Jul 18, 12:17 pm, Ron Johnson wrote:

    >>> I'm refereing to a lenevo laptop and a Targus keypad. All the keys
    >>> are grey.
    >>> Perhaps you'll let us know which of your keys are grey? All PCs
    >>> are different, and your post kind of hinges on that.

    >> I'll do you one better and show you the whole keyboard!
    >>
    >> http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson...718-120430.jpg
    >>
    >> The same keys that are grey on my 6 year old Gateway keypad are a
    >> dark (but noticeably different) grey on my IBM black external
    >> keyboard (for use with a "company" IBM/Lenovo Stinkpad).
    >>

    > That keyboard still has the large [+] key problem (which was the OP's
    > complaint.) AFAIK, only real LK's (or clones if they exist) have the
    > "proper" key layout.

    The start of this whole threadlet was that (depending on your
    emulator) Shift-Grey-Plus or Ctrl-Grey-Plus acts like KP-.

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA

  3. Re: PC EDT keypad (was EDT Replacement)

    Doug Phillips writes:

    >That keyboard still has the large [+] key problem (which was the OP's
    >complaint.) AFAIK, only real LK's (or clones if they exist) have the
    >"proper" key layout.

    Which LK keyboards (and any clones) have the "proper" layout and the PC
    connector, or a USB connector, other than the LK461, LK46W and LK462?
    I need to replace an LK461 soon.

  4. Re: PC EDT keypad (was EDT Replacement)

    On Jul 19, 3:04 pm, Ron Johnson wrote:
    > On 07/19/07 13:08, Doug Phillips wrote:

    > >> I'll do you one better and show you the whole keyboard!

    > >>http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson...718-120430.jpg

    > >> The same keys that are grey on my 6 year old Gateway keypad are a
    > >> dark (but noticeably different) grey on my IBM black external
    > >> keyboard (for use with a "company" IBM/Lenovo Stinkpad).

    > > That keyboard still has the large [+] key problem (which was the OP's
    > > complaint.) AFAIK, only real LK's (or clones if they exist) have the
    > > "proper" key layout.

    > The start of this whole threadlet was that (depending on your
    > emulator) Shift-Grey-Plus or Ctrl-Grey-Plus acts like KP-.

    Not that it's that important to me, but the start of the thread that
    has the same subject line as your post:

    > Subject: PC EDT keypad (was EDT Replacement)

    was:

    > From: "C.W.Holeman II"
    >>Bob Koehler wrote:
    >> emacs has had EDT keybindings for a long, long time. But not all
    >> keyboards have those keys.

    > The keyboard keypad that I am using has a double height "+" key. Are
    > there keyboards that work on a PC that have the EDT keypad?

    So, that's why I pointed out that the keyboard you're talking about
    also has the "double height + key"; just in case C.W.Holeman II
    couldn't get to the photo you posted and ran out to buy one like
    yours. Your reply was to Bob Kohler's "Grey?" response to your
    "Typically, KP- is emulated by Shift-grey-plus or Ctrl-grey-plus."
    post. Sorry.

  5. Re: PC EDT keypad (was EDT Replacement)

    Michael Moroney wrote:
    > Doug Phillips writes:
    >

    >>That keyboard still has the large [+] key problem (which was the OP's
    >>complaint.) AFAIK, only real LK's (or clones if they exist) have the
    >>"proper" key layout.

    > Which LK keyboards (and any clones) have the "proper" layout and the PC
    > connector, or a USB connector, other than the LK461, LK46W and LK462?
    > I need to replace an LK461 soon.

    LK463 is USB and comes with a USB->PS2 adapter (little purple plastic
    blob about 4x2x1 cm with a USB socket at one end and a PS2 plug on the
    other.) It came with my rx2620 which has a USB port, so I haven't tried
    using the PS2 adapter.

    It has the exact same key layout as my LK401 on my VT420 terminal.

    --
    John Santos
    Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.

  6. Re: PC EDT keypad (was EDT Replacement)

    On 2007-07-19, Michael Moroney wrote:

    > Which LK keyboards (and any clones) have the "proper" layout and the PC
    > connector, or a USB connector, other than the LK461, LK46W and LK462?
    > I need to replace an LK461 soon.

    I'm using an LK450-AA that a friend gave me. It has the PS/2 connector.
    --
    roger ivie
    rivie@ridgenet.net

  7. Re: PC EDT keypad (was EDT Replacement)

    I've been having a difficult time figuring out which key on my PC
    keyboard would map to an LK-type keyboard alternate keypad key [,]
    used for delete character in EDT.

    Any suggestions? http://www.tmesis.com/pckbd.html

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  8. Re: PC EDT keypad (was EDT Replacement)

    On Jul 20, 9:45 am, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > I've been having a difficult time figuring out which key on my PC
    > keyboard would map to an LK-type keyboard alternate keypad key [,]
    > used for delete character in EDT.
    >
    > Any suggestions? http://www.tmesis.com/pckbd.html
    >
    > --
    > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM
    >
    > "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"
    >
    > http://tmesis.com/drat.html

    It looks like you're missing the WAD connector (Wallet Attachment
    Device.) It's a small one-sided box that changes colors rapidly. It
    has three cables: green, gray and black. The green connector goes into
    your wallet, the gray connector is a probe that you insert into your
    brain through your left nostril, and the black is actually an antenna
    that connects you to Microsoft via a satellite network. The device
    sucks money from your wallet and radiates your brain with Alpha-Delta
    wave harmonics. To map the LK [,] you just press any key and believe
    that you get the correct results. (note: the single [Any]-key
    keyboards cost a little more, but they're worth it!) My WAD connector
    came with my Vista lap-top but you might be able to find one on E-Bay.

  9. Re: PC EDT keypad (was EDT Replacement)

    In article <2U3oi.14$Q81.11@newsfe12.lga>, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
    > I've been having a difficult time figuring out which key on my PC
    > keyboard would map to an LK-type keyboard alternate keypad key [,]
    > used for delete character in EDT.
    >
    > Any suggestions? http://www.tmesis.com/pckbd.html

    ROTFLOL

    (I think the correct answer is located next to 1/0 label on the
    system that you don't own.)

  10. Re: PC EDT keypad (was EDT Replacement)

    In article ,
    koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) wrote:

    > In article <2U3oi.14$Q81.11@newsfe12.lga>, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG
    > writes:
    > > I've been having a difficult time figuring out which key on my PC
    > > keyboard would map to an LK-type keyboard alternate keypad key [,]
    > > used for delete character in EDT.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions? http://www.tmesis.com/pckbd.html

    > ROTFLOL
    >
    > (I think the correct answer is located next to 1/0 label on the
    > system that you don't own.)

    Though I don't normally recommend a sledgehammer to crack a nut, in this
    case, the correct answer is a sledgehammer.

    --
    Paul Sture

  11. Re: PC EDT keypad (was EDT Replacement)

    "P. Sture" wrote:
    > [snip]
    > Though I don't normally recommend a sledgehammer to crack a nut, ...

    You've never seen some of the nuts I get stuck with...

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  12. Re: PC EDT keypad (was EDT Replacement)

    In article <46A22262.FCE5F3D7@spam.comcast.net>,
    David J Dachtera wrote:

    > "P. Sture" wrote:
    > > [snip]
    > > Though I don't normally recommend a sledgehammer to crack a nut, ...

    > You've never seen some of the nuts I get stuck with...

    :-)

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks: