On Jul 18, 1:52 pm, moro...@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael Moroney)
wrote:
> John Sauter writes:
> >My memory must be failing me in my old age. I seem to remember
> >instrumenting EDT so it would write a record for each line read from and
> >written to the terminal, then turning those records into a script for a
> >test program, which we got from another group. It would play the
> >recorded input lines and capture the output.

> EDT automagically logs its commands to a .JOU file, what you are talking
> about must be a variation of this. If your process gets killed somehow
> you can recover (most of) your work with $ EDIT/EDT/RECOVER, and it's
> kind of neat watching the cursor fly around redoing all your edits.

You can also use the .JOU file as a poor-man's Undo function. When you
want to do an Undo, run the QUIT/SAVE command. Then edit the .JOU
file, delete appropriate lines and/or "keystrokes" from the bottom,
and then run the journal file with EDIT/EDT/RECOVER. You can press ESC
followed by a key to see how that key is represented in the Journal
file.

> I would guess that a substantial verification of EDT functionality
> could be done by using a standard input and .JOU files, and compare
> the resulting output file to a standard.

AEF