Re: HALT, CONTINUE ==> CRASH. HUH? - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: HALT, CONTINUE ==> CRASH. HUH? - VMS ; On Jul 18, 7:49 am, "FredK" wrote: > "AEF" wrote in message > > news:1184592419.614733.92750@n60g2000hse.googlegro ups.com... > > > This is what happens on some of my MicroVAX 3100 systems. So far, the > > best I can find that's ...

  1. Re: HALT, CONTINUE ==> CRASH. HUH?

    On Jul 18, 7:49 am, "FredK" wrote:
    > "AEF" wrote in message
    >
    > news:1184592419.614733.92750@n60g2000hse.googlegro ups.com...
    >
    > > This is what happens on some of my MicroVAX 3100 systems. So far, the
    > > best I can find that's common is that my model 95's work fine but my
    > > model 80's crash.

    > > Can anyone help? Why are my 80's crashing?

    > > I tried adding the ECO kits to a VMS 6.2 system hoping that would help
    > > but it didn't. I got various reasons for crashing:

    > > **** Fatal BUG CHECK, version = V6.2 SSRVEXCEPT, Unexpected system
    > > service e

    Google Groups has been gucked up recently so please excuse my
    tardiness in response!

    > #1 - V6.2? You must be kidding. Is there a reason to be using such an old
    > version?

    Nope.

    Yes. Basically there's no reason to upgrade! The app runs on VMS v6.2
    and I'm still running the market systems on V6.1 (I hope to upgrade
    them to V6.2 soon).

    It saves me from upgrading over 2 dozen systems! (Some of these are in
    London and 2 are in Hong Kong.)

    It saves me from testing the app on the new version!

    The app is mature and has been slated to be retired for years now, but
    like the Energizer bunny, it keeps on going, and going....

    > #2 - The randomness of the crash sounds like a register is being corrupted
    > by the console firmware

    OK. Any reason you can see that the Model 95's don't corrupt it and
    the Model 80' do?

    > #3 - I assume that you are using a serial console and not graphics

    Correct. I don't need no stinking graphics! :-)

    AEF

  2. Re: HALT, CONTINUE ==> CRASH. HUH?

    > Yes. Basically there's no reason to upgrade! The app runs on VMS v6.2
    > and I'm still running the market systems on V6.1 (I hope to upgrade
    > them to V6.2 soon).
    >
    > It saves me from upgrading over 2 dozen systems! (Some of these are in
    > London and 2 are in Hong Kong.)

    Well, yes. You save in one way, but take on the risk of not having support
    when things fail without paying the previous version support uplift.

    >> #2 - The randomness of the crash sounds like a register is being
    >> corrupted
    >> by the console firmware

    > OK. Any reason you can see that the Model 95's don't corrupt it and
    > the Model 80' do?

    My guess? Different firmware. HALT gets taken by the firmware without the
    OS getting involved (except for some graphics stuff potentially, which is
    why I asked). So it needs to come back with the entire state of the system
    intact. The crashes appearing pretty random from the descriptions would
    lead me to believe that either something isn't being save/restored - or some
    device state is broken.

    I take it that this is the first time you have actually tried to do this, so
    you don't know if it always happened. I don't have insight/access to any
    old HW databases to see if this was a problem that was fixed a long time ago
    or not. I'm guessing that if it is happening on all your systems - it
    probably was.

  3. Re: HALT, CONTINUE ==> CRASH. HUH?

    "FredK" wrote in message news:f7npaj$gmt$1@usenet01.boi.hp.com...

    > My guess? Different firmware. HALT gets taken by the firmware without the OS getting
    > involved (except for some graphics stuff potentially, which is why I asked). So it
    > needs to come back with the entire state of the system intact.

    I recall a similar a bug a long time ago that was fixed by an ECO to the SYSLOA
    modules. That would be different between the two models also, I think.

+ Reply to Thread