cpu availability for ovms 8.3 Itanium - VMS

This is a discussion on cpu availability for ovms 8.3 Itanium - VMS ; Hi I have a cluster with ovms 8.3 integrity rx262 2 cpus an 7 gb memory. I try execute a heavy process but I can saw only 100% cpu but looks like that another cpu was available. I runed autogen ...

  1. cpu availability for ovms 8.3 Itanium

    Hi

    I have a cluster with ovms 8.3 integrity rx262
    2 cpus an 7 gb memory.

    I try execute a heavy process but I can saw only 100% cpu but looks
    like that another cpu was available.

    I runed autogen and tunning all cluster

    moni modes show me 2 cpus but only 100% used
    moni system cpu 100% used but not 110 o 115 etc etc.

    Some one knows if i need set any parameter o something for 2 cpus
    works and not only one..?

    thanks

  2. Re: cpu availability for ovms 8.3 Itanium

    "itanium" wrote in message
    news:1184796653.736154.235630@i38g2000prf.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi
    >
    > I have a cluster with ovms 8.3 integrity rx262
    > 2 cpus an 7 gb memory.
    >
    > I try execute a heavy process but I can saw only 100% cpu but looks
    > like that another cpu was available.
    >
    > I runed autogen and tunning all cluster
    >
    > moni modes show me 2 cpus but only 100% used
    > moni system cpu 100% used but not 110 o 115 etc etc.
    >
    > Some one knows if i need set any parameter o something for 2 cpus
    > works and not only one..?
    >
    > thanks

    A single process will likely be able to use just one CPU unless it can do
    threads.
    Think about it: can you use 2 cars to go to work and get there faster? The
    same applies for your process.

    Regards,

    Syltrem

  3. Re: cpu availability for ovms 8.3 Itanium

    On 18 Jul, 23:10, itanium wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have a cluster with ovms 8.3 integrity rx262
    > 2 cpus an 7 gb memory.
    >
    > I try execute a heavy process but I can saw only 100% cpu but looks
    > like that another cpu was available.
    >
    > I runed autogen and tunning all cluster
    >
    > moni modes show me 2 cpus but only 100% used
    > moni system cpu 100% used but not 110 o 115 etc etc.
    >
    > Some one knows if i need set any parameter o something for 2 cpus
    > works and not only one..?
    >
    > thanks

    Do you have units = 2 on the OpenVMS OE license?
    Was the job capable of running more than one thread or was it only one
    (if you can't run in more than one thread then one job is not going to
    take more than 100% CPU, no matter how many CPUs you throw it at!)

    Steve

  4. Re: cpu availability for ovms 8.3 Itanium

    itanium wrote:

    > I have a cluster with ovms 8.3 integrity rx262
    > 2 cpus an 7 gb memory.
    >
    > I try execute a heavy process but I can saw only 100% cpu but looks
    > like that another cpu was available.
    >
    > I runed autogen and tunning all cluster
    >
    > moni modes show me 2 cpus but only 100% used
    > moni system cpu 100% used but not 110 o 115 etc etc.
    >
    > Some one knows if i need set any parameter o something for 2 cpus
    > works and not only one..?

    Hello Edgar,

    Sufficient FOE, EOE or MCOE license units will be needed for the numbers
    of cores present and active; you'll need enough per-core licenses (PCL)
    or the older per processor licenses (PPL) name to run the number of
    cores you have running. For this case, you'll need licenses for two
    cores and thus two units total.

    Based on the ITRC discussion, the license here is OPENVMS-I64-EOE, and
    I'd expect to see a 2 unit license for this box.

    The DCL command SHOW LICENSE/OE will show your license compliance, and
    see SHOW LICENSE/CHARGE for related information.

    SMP and multicore -- basically the same thing, for the purpose of this
    discussion -- don't make a single-threaded process go any faster. You
    can have 128 cores, and a single-threaded process will run at 1x; at the
    speed of one core.

    To get a single-threaded process to run to completion in less time on an
    SMP or multicore system, you have to explicitly divide up the workload,
    whether by creating additional processes to perform parts of the work,
    or by creating threads within a process.

    Quotas and AUTOGEN and such are not particularly relevant to parallel
    processing; yes, you need enough quotas to ensure the application is
    running efficiently, but there's no quota or setting to cause a
    non-multiprocessing or non-multithreaded application to run in parallel.
    There do exist parameter settings for applications that are already
    explicitly coded for threading; to allow existing threads to run in
    parallel.

    With a fully-licensed dual-core configuration, I'd expect to see an SMP
    or multicore box showing between 100% and 200% based on system activity,
    when there's something running in parallel with your "heavy process".
    You can demonstrate this to yourself with two DCL procedures or such
    that simply loop -- log in three times in parallel, run MONITOR SYSTEM
    or MONITOR ALL in one window, and two DCL loops in the other logins.

    Hoff

    --

    This question is a carry-over from a thread in the ITRC discussion
    forum.

    --
    www.HoffmanLabs.com
    Services for OpenVMS