China responsible for past major power outages? Where is OpenVMS? - VMS

This is a discussion on China responsible for past major power outages? Where is OpenVMS? - VMS ; the power grid used to be controlled by vms, but now that some idiotic power companies have evidently gone to windoze and linux, that virus free vms platform that used to exist is now open to chinese hackers ... http://www.nationaljournal.com/njmag...80531_6948.php...

  1. China responsible for past major power outages? Where is OpenVMS?

    the power grid used to be controlled by vms, but now that some idiotic
    power companies have evidently gone to windoze and linux, that virus
    free vms platform that used to exist is now open to chinese
    hackers ...

    http://www.nationaljournal.com/njmag...80531_6948.php

  2. Re: China responsible for past major power outages? Where is OpenVMS?

    On May 31, 2:08 pm, ultra...@gmail.com wrote:
    > the power grid used to be controlled by vms, but now that some idiotic
    > power companies have evidently gone to windoze and linux, that virus
    > free vms platform that used to exist is now open to chinese
    > hackers ...
    >
    > http://www.nationaljournal.com/njmag...80531_6948.php

    "A computer virus, then in wide circulation, disrupted the
    communications lines that utility companies use to manage the power
    grid, and this exacerbated the problem."

    That would be the MS Blaster worm, which afaik was created by an
    American citizen/resident. No need for Chinese involvement for MS
    Blaster to cause chaos; the western Windows monoculture is entirely
    capable of spreading chaos all on its own, and almost nobody in
    authority cares, simply because "it's cheap" (as long as the folks
    deploying Windows never have to pay the costs of the consequential
    damage).

    Fwiw, anyone who saw from the inside (as I did) the chaos caused by
    Blaster in a typical corporate Windows environment, even one allegedly
    isolated from the Internet, would not be at all surprised if Blaster
    had actually played a much bigger part in the August 2003 blackout
    than has been admitted to date.

  3. Re: China responsible for past major power outages? Where is OpenVMS?

    On May 31, 7:11 pm, johnwalla...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
    > On May 31, 2:08 pm, ultra...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > the power grid used to be controlled by vms, but now that some idiotic
    > > power companies have evidently gone to windoze and linux, that virus
    > > free vms platform that used to exist is now open to chinese
    > > hackers ...

    > >http://www.nationaljournal.com/njmag...80531_6948.php

    > "A computer virus, then in wide circulation, disrupted the
    > communications lines that utility companies use to manage the power
    > grid, and this exacerbated the problem."
    >
    > That would be the MS Blaster worm, which afaik was created by an
    > American citizen/resident. No need for Chinese involvement for MS
    > Blaster to cause chaos; the western Windows monoculture is entirely
    > capable of spreading chaos all on its own, and almost nobody in
    > authority cares, simply because "it's cheap" (as long as the folks
    > deploying Windows never have to pay the costs of the consequential
    > damage).
    >
    > Fwiw, anyone who saw from the inside (as I did) the chaos caused by
    > Blaster in a typical corporate Windows environment, even one allegedly
    > isolated from the Internet, would not be at all surprised if Blaster
    > had actually played a much bigger part in the August 2003 blackout
    > than has been admitted to date.

    Doh. Forgot to wonder what the connection might be between the recent
    National Journal article, and the recent House Cybersecurity committee
    report which was rather critical of the North American Electric
    Reliability Corporation: e.g.
    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...ical_grid.html

    I think that's all (for now).

  4. RE: China responsible for past major power outages? Where is OpenVMS?

    Not sure what you mean by "used to", but certainly numerous power companies
    use SCADA on OpenVMS for their power grids.

    Re: Windows and Linux .. here is good story for you:

    http://www.vista-control.com/itanium_success.htm
    "Los Alamos, February 15th. 2007 After implementing mission-critical systems
    on Windows-based computers for many years, a customer experienced a virus in
    one of these systems that shut down production for two days while the
    infected systems were diagnosed, restored and tested. The impact was that
    plant production was severely impacted at no small cost. Despite internal
    opposition because of the established standard, Vsystem on HP Itanium servers
    running OpenVMS was chosen for the next system to be replaced."

    See rest of article.

    http://www.availabilitydigest.com/pu...s/0209/qei.pdf
    "For almost 50 years, QEI of Springfield, New Jersey, (www.qeiinc.com) has
    been supplying highly available SCADA systems to the electric, transit, gas,
    water, and other utilities. A SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition)
    system provides controllers with the facilities"

    "...The Master Station runs on HP OpenVMS blades or towers. It can be configured
    as a standalone system or in a dual, triple, or quadruple modular redundancy
    configuration, as described later." End quote.

    As I have stated here before, at some point, and as shown in first url above,
    once they look at the big picture, Cust's will need to ask themselves If they
    can really afford Windows and/or Linux.

    Regards

    Kerry Main
    Senior Consultant