Noisy Fans DS10L - VMS

This is a discussion on Noisy Fans DS10L - VMS ; Just noticed this. Anybody else experience this? It also is pretty hot to the touch. Also being klutzy accidentally bumped the power cord enough to bring it down, now all the shadow sets are merging, Grrr. -- PL/I for OpenVMS ...

  1. Noisy Fans DS10L

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  2. Re: Noisy Fans DS10L

    Tom Linden wrote:
    > Just noticed this. Anybody else experience this? It also is pretty hot
    > to the touch. Also being klutzy accidentally bumped the power cord enough
    > to bring it down, now all the shadow sets are merging, Grrr.

    What is your DS10L running temperature ?

    $ write sys$output f$getsyi("TEMPERATURE_VECTOR")
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF2C
    $ a = %x2C
    $ show symbol a
    A = 44 Hex = 0000002C Octal = 00000000054

    My other DS10L, when turned on, runs at about 39-42. The one above has 2
    disks so it runs a little hotter. (of course, in winter it is a couple
    degrees cooler).

    You might wish to open your DS10L and verify there are no wires near the
    fans. If a wire gets close enough, it might be being "rubbed" by fan
    blades (very bad thing), and this makes it noisy.

    You can lower the temperature of the unit by a couple of degrees by
    cutting out the grills on the rear fan outlet, and putting a better
    "fence" after the CPU to better redirect the hot hair towards the back
    and prevent hot air from recirculating to the front. (the little plastic
    tab provided to "curve" the air flow is not airtight, and there is also
    a gap that allows hot air to flow towards the area where the PCI card is
    located.

    These two improvements will lower the temp by 2C

    Removing the grills for the front fans also helps increase airflow.

  3. Re: Noisy Fans DS10L

    My DS10L fans are only noisy when I apply electricity.

    BTW- if you think they're noisy, stay away from the VMS blades.

    :-)

    WWWebb

    On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Tom Linden wrote:
    > Just noticed this. Anybody else experience this? It also is pretty hot
    > to the touch. Also being klutzy accidentally bumped the power cord enough
    > to bring it down, now all the shadow sets are merging, Grrr.
    >
    > --
    > PL/I for OpenVMS
    > www.kednos.com

  4. Re: Noisy Fans DS10L

    William Webb wrote:
    > My DS10L fans are only noisy when I apply electricity.
    >
    > BTW- if you think they're noisy, stay away from the VMS blades.
    >
    > :-)
    >
    > WWWebb
    >
    > On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Tom Linden wrote:
    >> Just noticed this. Anybody else experience this? It also is pretty hot
    >> to the touch. Also being klutzy accidentally bumped the power cord enough
    >> to bring it down, now all the shadow sets are merging, Grrr.
    >>
    >> --
    >> PL/I for OpenVMS
    >> www.kednos.com

    I have a DS10L and a Dell 1850 (both 1U) in a rack in my garage. If you
    want noise that makes your ears bleed, the Dell wins hands down. :^O

+ Reply to Thread