TCP/IP - VMS

This is a discussion on TCP/IP - VMS ; From: "Paul D Ainsworth" Subject: TCP/IP Date: 30 May 2008 11:40 I know this is probably not the best NG for a post like this, but I need an urgent answer and this group probably has the largest number of ...

  1. TCP/IP

    From: "Paul D Ainsworth"
    Subject: TCP/IP
    Date: 30 May 2008 11:40

    I know this is probably not the best NG for a post like this, but I need an
    urgent answer and this group probably has the largest number of subscribers.

    I'm working on a project that sets up a blocking TCP/IP connection from an
    openvms alpha ada executable to a python script running on a windows 2000
    advanced server.

    The connection sets up fine without any problems. However, the python script
    should send back a status report in response to a status request from the
    openvms executable.

    It sends back the status report but this causes a stack dump when received
    by the alpha: -

    high performance arithmetic trap
    floating invalid operation
    arithmetic trap, floating overflow
    arithmetic trap, floating underflow

    Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions towards a fix?

  2. Re: TCP/IP

    "Paul D Ainsworth" wrote in message
    > From: "Paul D Ainsworth"
    > Subject: TCP/IP
    > Date: 30 May 2008 11:40
    >
    > I know this is probably not the best NG for a post like this, but I need
    > an
    > urgent answer and this group probably has the largest number of
    > subscribers.

    This sentence posted by mistake ...

  3. Re: TCP/IP

    In article <483fd888$1_1@glkas0286.greenlnk.net>, "Paul D Ainsworth" writes:
    >From: "Paul D Ainsworth"
    >Subject: TCP/IP
    >Date: 30 May 2008 11:40
    >
    >I know this is probably not the best NG for a post like this, but I need an
    >urgent answer and this group probably has the largest number of subscribers.
    >
    >I'm working on a project that sets up a blocking TCP/IP connection from an
    >openvms alpha ada executable to a python script running on a windows 2000
    >advanced server.
    >
    >The connection sets up fine without any problems. However, the python script
    >should send back a status report in response to a status request from the
    >openvms executable.
    >
    >It sends back the status report but this causes a stack dump when received
    >by the alpha: -
    >
    >high performance arithmetic trap
    >floating invalid operation
    >arithmetic trap, floating overflow
    >arithmetic trap, floating underflow
    >
    >Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions towards a fix?

    The stack dump would be a _great_ start. That stuff doesn't cough up to
    demonstrate that VMS engineering is fond of hexadecimal.

    Check your code where the stack dump indicates that it received the HPARITH
    trap. If your app on the Weendoze box is sending back floating point, you
    will probably need to insure that your program on the Alpha is employing the
    same floating format.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  4. Re: TCP/IP

    On May 30, 6:53*am, "Paul D Ainsworth"
    wrote:
    > From: "Paul D Ainsworth"
    > Subject: TCP/IP
    > Date: 30 May 2008 11:40
    >
    > I know this is probably not the best NG for a post like this, but I need an
    > urgent answer and this group probably has the largest number of subscribers.
    >
    > I'm working on a project that sets up a blocking TCP/IP connection from an
    > openvms alpha ada executable to a python script running on a windows 2000
    > advanced server.
    >
    > The connection sets up fine without any problems. However, the python script
    > should send back a status report in response to a status request from the
    > openvms executable.
    >
    > It sends back the status report but this causes a stack dump when received
    > by the alpha: -
    >
    > high performance arithmetic trap
    > floating invalid operation
    > arithmetic trap, floating overflow
    > arithmetic trap, floating underflow
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions towards a fix?

    If you have the ADA source and can rebuild the executable, then LINK
    with /TRACEBACK (if its not already done that way). Then the "stack
    dump" should identify the exact line of ADA where the error occurred.

    Or LINK with /DEBUG and run the program in the debugger.

  5. Re: TCP/IP

    wrote:
    > From: "Paul D Ainsworth"
    > Subject: TCP/IP
    > Date: 30 May 2008 11:40
    >
    > I know this is probably not the best NG for a post like this, but I need an
    > urgent answer and this group probably has the largest number of subscribers.
    >
    > I'm working on a project that sets up a blocking TCP/IP connection from an
    > openvms alpha ada executable to a python script running on a windows 2000
    > advanced server.
    >
    > The connection sets up fine without any problems. However, the python script
    > should send back a status report in response to a status request from the
    > openvms executable.
    >
    > It sends back the status report but this causes a stack dump when received
    > by the alpha: -
    >
    > high performance arithmetic trap
    > floating invalid operation
    > arithmetic trap, floating overflow
    > arithmetic trap, floating underflow
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions towards a fix?

    Paul,

    Without the code, it is difficult to guess what is wrong. Having
    worked with the IO system for many years, and having done TCP
    connections on more than a few occasions, my first guess would be that
    an incorrect value was passed on the call to TCP (either the socket
    library or direct QIO). Such a bad value can also cause faults to
    occur in the user-mode libraries (e.g., sockets).

    Without the sources, it is difficult to make a substantive comment.

    If you wish to speak privately, please let me know (contact
    information, including email is on my www site).

    - Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

+ Reply to Thread