Moving disk on EVA from controller A to B? - VMS

This is a discussion on Moving disk on EVA from controller A to B? - VMS ; Hello, I have an EVA-5,000 with a few systems connected to it. Recently, after I got complains of slow response during peak hours, I've found that one controller is less used than the other (using EVAperf and looking for the ...

  1. Moving disk on EVA from controller A to B?

    Hello,

    I have an EVA-5,000 with a few systems connected to it. Recently, after I got
    complains of slow response during peak hours, I've found that one controller
    is less used than the other (using EVAperf and looking for the host port
    stats). When looking at the virtual disks definitions I
    see that most disks are defined as "Path A preferred" while very few are
    defined as "path B preffered". I've tried two things to move some more disks
    from A to B, without success:

    - On the VMS: Set device/path=xxx/switch; after the command I do SHOW DEVICE
    and see that the new path is unavailable and the disk returns to the old
    path.

    - changing the preffered path on the EVA. however, the managing controller is
    left as A.

    Any idea how to force the EVA to change the managing controller for a disk?

    Thanks! __Yehavi:

  2. Re: Moving disk on EVA from controller A to B?

    On May 30, 7:54*am, yeh...@vms.huji.ac.il wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > * I have an EVA-5,000 with a few systems connected to it. Recently, after I got
    > complains of slow response during peak hours, I've found that one controller
    > is less used than the other (using EVAperf and looking for the host port
    > stats). When looking at the virtual disks definitions I
    > see that most disks are defined as "Path A preferred" while very few are
    > defined as "path B preffered". I've tried two things to move some more disks
    > from A to B, without success:
    >
    > - On the VMS: Set device/path=xxx/switch; after the command I do SHOW DEVICE
    > * and see that the new path is unavailable and the disk returns to the old
    > * path.
    >
    > - changing the preffered path on the EVA. however, the managing controlleris
    > * left as A.
    >
    > Any idea how to force the EVA to change the managing controller for a disk?
    >
    > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Thanks! __Yehavi:

  3. Re: Moving disk on EVA from controller A to B?

    On May 30, 7:54*am, yeh...@vms.huji.ac.il wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > * I have an EVA-5,000 with a few systems connected to it. Recently, after I got
    > complains of slow response during peak hours, I've found that one controller
    > is less used than the other (using EVAperf and looking for the host port
    > stats). When looking at the virtual disks definitions I
    > see that most disks are defined as "Path A preferred" while very few are
    > defined as "path B preffered". I've tried two things to move some more disks
    > from A to B, without success:
    >
    > - On the VMS: Set device/path=xxx/switch; after the command I do SHOW DEVICE
    > * and see that the new path is unavailable and the disk returns to the old
    > * path.
    >
    > - changing the preffered path on the EVA. however, the managing controlleris
    > * left as A.
    >
    > Any idea how to force the EVA to change the managing controller for a disk?

    As long as your EVA firmware is reasonably up-to-date, the EVA will
    balance the disk load itself, so you shouldn't need to force a swap of
    the disks.

    Rob.

+ Reply to Thread