%RMS-F-DME from recall/output - VMS

This is a discussion on %RMS-F-DME from recall/output - VMS ; In article , koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes: > > When I try to do recall/output from a detached process, I get > %RMS-F-DME. On the same system it works fine from spawned > subproceses, with the same number of commands ...

  1. Re: %RMS-F-DME from recall/output

    In article <2tuAoeXjKsQB@eisner.encompasserve.org>, koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:

    > When I try to do recall/output from a detached process, I get
    > %RMS-F-DME. On the same system it works fine from spawned
    > subproceses, with the same number of commands in thier recall
    > buffer, or more, or less. help/mess tells me to mess around
    > with PIOPAGES, so I tried that.
    >
    > VMS 7.2-1 on a DEC 3000 Model 400S (upgrading is not an option).
    > When I get home I'll try it on 8.3.
    >
    > Any ideas, or do I just need to keep boosting PIOPAGES?

    How are you using/creating this DETACHED process?

    I've created a command procedure:

    $ SET VERIFY
    $ SHOW DEFAULT
    $ SHOW TIME
    $ SHOW USER
    $ RECALL/ALL
    $ RECALL/OUTPUT=SYS$MANAGER:RECALL.TEST
    $ SHOW TIME
    $ EXIT

    and then I run it DETACHED with:

    $ RUN/DETACH/INPUT=TESTRECALL.COM SYS$SYSTEM:LOGINOUT.EXE -
    _$ /OUTPUT=SYS$MANAGER:TESTRECALL.LOG/ERROR=TESTRECALL.ERR

    ....and I get:

    $ SHOW DEFAULT
    SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSMGR]
    = SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSMGR]
    = SYS$COMMON:[SYSMGR]
    $ SHOW TIME
    29-MAY-2008 14:55:39
    $ SHOW USER
    OpenVMS User Processes at 29-MAY-2008 14:55:39.67
    Total number of users = 1, number of processes = 12

    Username Node Interactive Subprocess Batch
    SYSTEM A533U2 11 1
    $ RECALL/ALL
    $ RECALL/OUTPUT=SYS$MANAGER:RECALL.TEST
    $ SHOW TIME
    29-MAY-2008 14:55:39
    $ EXIT
    SYSTEM job terminated at 29-MAY-2008 14:55:39.68

    Accounting information:
    Buffered I/O count: 26 Peak working set size: 2704
    Direct I/O count: 11 Peak virtual size: 171872
    Page faults: 174 Mounted volumes: 0

    RECALL has no effect in my test.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  2. %RMS-F-DME from recall/output

    When I try to do recall/output from a detached process, I get
    %RMS-F-DME. On the same system it works fine from spawned
    subproceses, with the same number of commands in thier recall
    buffer, or more, or less. help/mess tells me to mess around
    with PIOPAGES, so I tried that.

    VMS 7.2-1 on a DEC 3000 Model 400S (upgrading is not an option).
    When I get home I'll try it on 8.3.

    Any ideas, or do I just need to keep boosting PIOPAGES?

  3. Re: %RMS-F-DME from recall/output

    In article <483efd33$0$25017$607ed4bc@cv.net>, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:

    > How are you using/creating this DETACHED process?

    I was starting a new login via LAT after each tweak of PIOPAGES.
    I have since discovered that the reason the spawned subprocesses
    don't have a problem is because the SET RMS_DEFAULT in my login.com
    isn't inherrited by subprocesses.

    I will keep looking into this until I can get a definitive solution.
    Maybe I really do need a lot more PIOPAGES to deal with my RMS
    defaults being cranked up. Or maybe I'll just build a command file
    that turns them down and back up.

+ Reply to Thread