Connecting OS-X to OpenVMS? - VMS

This is a discussion on Connecting OS-X to OpenVMS? - VMS ; Hello, quite some time I remember a post about the same topic with no results. Thus, how could one provide some OpenVMS storage to Apple Macintoshes on a per user basis? Any commercial products available? Regards, Christoph Gartmann -- Max-Planck-Institut ...

  1. Connecting OS-X to OpenVMS?

    Hello,

    quite some time I remember a post about the same topic with no results.
    Thus, how could one provide some OpenVMS storage to Apple Macintoshes on
    a per user basis? Any commercial products available?

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    Immunbiologie
    D-79011 Freiburg, Germany

  2. Re: Connecting OS-X to OpenVMS?

    Christoph Gartmann wrote:

    > Thus, how could one provide some OpenVMS storage to Apple Macintoshes on
    > a per user basis? Any commercial products available?

    If you are willing to deal with setting up all the proxies, you can use NFS.

    TO move MAC files to VMS for stirage and back it works. But to move VMS
    text files to the MAC, it is supposed to work, works some of the time,
    but corrups pprtions of text files at other times.

  3. Re: Connecting OS-X to OpenVMS?

    In article <483e92e8$0$9251$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, JF Mezei writes:
    >Christoph Gartmann wrote:
    >
    >> Thus, how could one provide some OpenVMS storage to Apple Macintoshes on
    >> a per user basis? Any commercial products available?

    >If you are willing to deal with setting up all the proxies, you can use NFS.
    >
    >TO move MAC files to VMS for stirage and back it works. But to move VMS
    >text files to the MAC, it is supposed to work, works some of the time,
    >but corrups pprtions of text files at other times.

    I've resorted to just using sftp. It would be nice if I could specify sftp
    in the Finder's Connect to Server and have it work graphically but command
    line seems to be the only viable option.

    NFS and CIFS/Samba have problems. The later has the most problems but both
    have quirks that make them unreliable and unuseable.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  4. Re: Connecting OS-X to OpenVMS?

    wrote:

    > I've resorted to just using sftp. It would be nice if I could specify sftp
    > in the Finder's Connect to Server and have it work graphically but command
    > line seems to be the only viable option.

    MacFUSE gives you userspace fs with options for ssh and NTFS.

    Using command line transfer for sftp all metadata is lost during
    transfer.

    > NFS and CIFS/Samba have problems. The later has the most problems but both
    > have quirks that make them unreliable and unuseable.

    On OpenVMS-side or on the Mac?

    Regards
    Götz
    --
    http://www.knubbelmac.de/

  5. Re: Connecting OS-X to OpenVMS?

    In article <483ea519$0$15198$607ed4bc@cv.net>, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
    >In article <483e92e8$0$9251$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, JF Mezei writes:
    >>Christoph Gartmann wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thus, how could one provide some OpenVMS storage to Apple Macintoshes on
    >>> a per user basis? Any commercial products available?

    >>If you are willing to deal with setting up all the proxies, you can use NFS.
    >>
    >>TO move MAC files to VMS for stirage and back it works. But to move VMS
    >>text files to the MAC, it is supposed to work, works some of the time,
    >>but corrups pprtions of text files at other times.

    >I've resorted to just using sftp. It would be nice if I could specify sftp
    >in the Finder's Connect to Server and have it work graphically but command
    >line seems to be the only viable option.

    Terminal commands are not an option. I am looking for something that can be
    handeld by an average Mac user. We have a few hundred of them. So configuring
    each single Mac isn't an option as well.

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    Immunbiologie
    D-79011 Freiburg, Germany

  6. Re: Connecting OS-X to OpenVMS?

    In article , gartmann@nonsense.immunbio.mpg.de (Christoph Gartmann) writes:
    > Hello,
    >
    > quite some time I remember a post about the same topic with no results.
    > Thus, how could one provide some OpenVMS storage to Apple Macintoshes on
    > a per user basis? Any commercial products available?

    I've been able to set up NFS service on VMS for my Mac using
    Multinet's NFS server.

    I had to bring up the terminal tool and explicitly mount using an
    older NFS protocol.

  7. Re: Connecting OS-X to OpenVMS?

    On May 29, 5:44*am, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > In article <483e92e8$0$9251$c3e8...@news.astraweb.com>, JF Mezei writes:
    >
    > >Christoph Gartmann wrote:

    > >> Thus, how could one provide some OpenVMS storage to Apple Macintoshes on
    > >> a per user basis? Any commercial products available?

    > >If you are willing to deal with setting up all the proxies, you can use NFS.

    > >TO move MAC files to VMS for stirage and back it works. But to move VMS
    > >text files to the MAC, it is supposed to work, works some of the time,
    > >but corrups pprtions of text files at other times.

    > I've resorted to just using sftp. *It would be nice if I could specify sftp
    > in the Finder's Connect to Server and have it work graphically but command
    > line seems to be the only viable option.
    >
    > NFS and CIFS/Samba have problems. *The later has the most problems but both
    > have quirks that make them unreliable and unuseable.
    >
    > --
    > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker * VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM
    >
    > * "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"
    >
    > http://tmesis.com/drat.html

    At the Bootcamp I used the CIFS/Samba that OpenVMS Engineering is
    releasing.
    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/network/CIFS_for_Samba.html

    I did not have a chance to do any file support testing, but simple
    drag-and-drop copy and file opening from an application from both Win
    XP and OS X 10.4 worked well. We used both Standalone (uses local
    authentication) and Member (uses Windows Domain authentication)
    modes . OS X has the advantage of mounting multiple file services
    using different credentials (domain/username/password): Windows only
    wants to use one set of credentials per system, so once you login to a
    Domain, only those credentials can be used (though there are some
    limited ways around this...). There is also a Advanced Server
    conversion procedure, but it seemed a little limited and we gave them
    some good feedback.

    Current version of CIFS for OpenVMS is 1.0, which doesn't support
    being a PDC or BDC, but it sounded like additional functionality was
    being worked on.

    Sean

  8. Re: Connecting OS-X to OpenVMS?

    In article <7dfff845-e0a9-4de8-88b7-5ca61070f4c8@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>, sean@obanion.us writes:
    >{...snip...}
    >At the Bootcamp I used the CIFS/Samba that OpenVMS Engineering is
    >releasing.
    >http://h71000.www7.hp.com/network/CIFS_for_Samba.html

    I missed that session as I didn't arrive until late Tuesday eve.

    >I did not have a chance to do any file support testing, but simple
    >drag-and-drop copy and file opening from an application from both Win
    >XP and OS X 10.4 worked well. We used both Standalone (uses local
    >authentication) and Member (uses Windows Domain authentication)
    >modes . OS X has the advantage of mounting multiple file services
    >using different credentials (domain/username/password): Windows only
    >wants to use one set of credentials per system, so once you login to a
    >Domain, only those credentials can be used (though there are some
    >limited ways around this...). There is also a Advanced Server
    >conversion procedure, but it seemed a little limited and we gave them
    >some good feedback.
    >
    >Current version of CIFS for OpenVMS is 1.0, which doesn't support
    >being a PDC or BDC, but it sounded like additional functionality was
    >being worked on.

    On which version(s) of VMS will the CIFS 1.0 install and run?

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  9. Re: Connecting OS-X to OpenVMS?

    Christoph Gartmann wrote:

    > Terminal commands are not an option. I am looking for something that can be
    > handeld by an average Mac user. We have a few hundred of them. So configuring
    > each single Mac isn't an option as well.

    If you use automount, you don't need "terminal commands". You need to
    configure this once and the MAC will automatically mount the NFS drives
    when it needs them. If the mac boots while the NFS server is down, but
    it doesn'T yetr need to access to those drives, the user won't know
    about it, and when the user tries to access the drive, if the NFS server
    is back up, the user gets in.

    With 10.4 and before, there is the netinfo database. Enter your mounts
    there and voila. With 10.5 Apple used a new config database
    enviropnment so the commands are different.

    Is the VMS data "public", or is it to be a per-user storage system ?

  10. Re: Connecting OS-X to OpenVMS?

    On May 29, 9:57*am, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > In article <7dfff845-e0a9-4de8-88b7-5ca61070f...@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>, s...@obanion.us writes:
    >
    > >{...snip...}
    > >At the Bootcamp I used the CIFS/Samba that OpenVMS Engineering is
    > >releasing.
    > >http://h71000.www7.hp.com/network/CIFS_for_Samba.html

    > I missed that session as I didn't arrive until late Tuesday eve.
    >
    > >I did not have a chance to do any file support testing, but simple
    > >drag-and-drop copy and file opening from an application from both Win
    > >XP and OS X 10.4 worked well. *We used both Standalone (uses local
    > >authentication) and Member (uses Windows Domain authentication)
    > >modes . *OS X has the advantage of mounting multiple file services
    > >using different credentials (domain/username/password): Windows only
    > >wants to use one set of credentials per system, so once you login to a
    > >Domain, only those credentials can be used (though there are some
    > >limited ways around this...). *There is also a Advanced Server
    > >conversion procedure, but it seemed a little limited and we gave them
    > >some good feedback.

    > >Current version of CIFS for OpenVMS is 1.0, which doesn't support
    > >being a PDC or BDC, but it sounded like additional functionality was
    > >being worked on.

    > On which version(s) of VMS will the CIFS 1.0 install and run?
    >
    > --
    > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker * VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM
    >
    > * "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"
    >
    > http://tmesis.com/drat.html

    Following the link I gave:
    "Use of the Common Internet File System requires OpenVMS Version 8.2
    or later for AlphaServer systems, and OpenVMS V8.2-1 or later for
    Integrity server systems."

+ Reply to Thread